R9 w/Sloppy Burst Job?

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I've been considering a 60th anniversary burst and saw this one on reverb... noticed the uneven burst job.

Maybe I've been around PRS guitars too long but at this price point I think Gibson could have done better.

UPDATE: It appears they might be doing this intentionally, but it's done pretty inconsistently from one guitar to the next as some are perfectly even and some are not.

Gibson R9 bad BJ.png

Last edited:

Lkdog

Reaction score
That is awful for an R9.
If you put that up for sale here six months later you would be lucky to get $3200.

MagneticTape

Reaction score
Brown on the knob side and red on the opposite

rpmpsccplzlgpdob3wqd.jpg

Last edited:

jktxs

Reaction score
You're right. It definitely isn't intentional, and it's only on the 2019s.
Some of the lighter 'fade' finishes are undersprayed on the left to emulate arm rest.
I guess they got too used to the right side skew and can't do a proper symmetric burst now lol

2019 Dave Amato Axcess

60th R9 Southern Fade

60th R9 Southern Fade

Official website pic for Southern Fade

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I wonder what brown on one edge and red on the other is supposed to simulate on this one?
rpmpsccplzlgpdob3wqd.jpg

jktxs

Reaction score
Never mind, I think @THDNUT is right. The colours with 'fade' in the name all seem to have the left side wear.
Seems like this really is a 2019 thing, because Southern Fade on True Historics look symmetric.
Still, it shouldn't be happening on a modern model like the Axcess though.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I've been considering a 60th anniversary burst and saw this one on reverb... noticed the "Sloppy Burst Job" and I can't unsee the differences in the dark burst edge on the left vs right. I know a hand painted guitar will have some variation but for a $6500 street priced custom shop guitar?

Maybe I've been around PRS guitars too long but at this price point I think Gibson could have done better.

View attachment 407988
What the shit you dont see that every day 6500 noo-no no noooo noooooo.

THDNUT

Reaction score
You know what OP, I just threw my original comment out there. I don't know if Gibson does that on purpose or not. :thumb:

I agree that the black sunburst LP in your original post is hideous. I just happen to like the sunburst color to be a bit transparent.

If I like the color of a LP sunburst, I don't know if the slight unevenness of it would be a deal breaker. :dunno:

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I think if it's lighter it wouldn't be such a big deal, even wood grain and flame will have variation but the fairly sharp and dark edges of the kindred burst really show uneven work.

This is a VOS Kindred Burst photo from Gibson and it's very even. I would love to own this guitar.

GibsonVOSnice.PNG

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Gibson has gone thru some people since the shakeup.

Mickey is now painting on his own. He was the top/ senior painter at Custom.

He painted my late '17 early '18 CR7 by request of CR Dan.

He was let go shortly after.

I've noticed the difference in paint jobs ever since.

buckwild

Reaction score
these are pretty terrible too...and I sometimes like the fade look but this on such a nice top just flat out sucks

Pappy58

Reaction score
With this many examples it's obvious that they are doing it on purpose trying to simulate play wear as suggested. It's funny how everyone was raving about the 60th models and now everyone is a hater! :rofl: Glad I bought my 2018 model it's as perfect as they get. (To me anyway):cheers2: