R9 Triple Change

Tiboy

Reaction score
I got my R9 back from the shop today. Now it's sporting 1, Locking tuners; 2. Schaller S-Locks; and 3. 9-42 strings. Additionally, I had neck and fret maintenance done and a set up. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to you reporting back.

smk506

Reaction score
All sound like good changes IMO.

Rock it.

Tiboy

Reaction score
Some may burn you at the stake for putting locking tuners on a historic.
I like loving dangerously. All changes are completely reversible to stock as the tuners were direct drop in. I bought the guitar new in 2013 which is also the model year. As I age I’m looking to make life easier, hence the tuners and 9’s. Even the Schallers will make things just a tad easier.

Tiboy

Reaction score
You're going to love the 9s, I can tell you that.
I have 9’s on my Tele. It’s my easiest playing guitar. I recently went 9’s on my PRS as a short scale test run. That’s what led me to go locking tuners (easier string change) and 9’s on the LP. Got in a honeymoon 3+ hours with the LP through 3 different amps today. Glorious feel, playability and tone. When I stopped playing, I grabbed the Strat I went directly to to luthier. Nine’s and a set up are in the works. I’ll transition all other guitars to 9’s with their respective string changes.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
I have 9’s on my Tele. It’s my easiest playing guitar. I recently went 9’s on my PRS as a short scale test run. That’s what led me to go locking tuners (easier string change) and 9’s on the LP. Got in a honeymoon 3+ hours with the LP through 3 different amps today. Glorious feel, playability and tone. When I stopped playing, I grabbed the Strat I went directly to to luthier. Nine’s and a set up are in the works. I’ll transition all other guitars to 9’s with their respective string changes.
I've got a set of NYXL 9/42s I've been hesitant about trying.

That good eh?

Tiboy

Reaction score
NYXL 9/42 is what I put on. I’m also a fan of the the Gibson vintage nickel strings, Was my glorious day a consequence of the 9’s, the brand of 9’s, the newness of the strings, the professional set up, combination of all of the foregoing and/or just a rare good day with the guitar? Too many simultaneous changes to attribute “good” just to one thing. I will say that I had a similar “good” experience with switching to the NYXL 9/42 on my PRS that did not get a professional set up. Most notable is the reduced effort needed to play the 9’s vs 10’s. I’m guessing if I ever get around to picking up my acoustic again, it’s going to hurt.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
NYXL 9/42 is what I put on. I’m also a fan of the the Gibson vintage nickel strings, Was my glorious day a consequence of the 9’s, the brand of 9’s, the newness of the strings, the professional set up, combination of all of the foregoing and/or just a rare good day with the guitar? Too many simultaneous changes to attribute “good” just to one thing. I will say that I had a similar “good” experience with switching to the NYXL 9/42 on my PRS that did not get a professional set up. Most notable is the reduced effort needed to play the 9’s vs 10’s. I’m guessing if I ever get around to picking up my acoustic again, it’s going to hurt.
I currently have a set of NYXL 10/52s on my goto which I'm digging, but when it comes time for a change I'll give them a try

Latest Threads