R9 Pickups & Harness (Thrōbak)

h4ck.b0x7

Reaction score
I have a brand new R9. I also have a set of Thrōbak PG-102 pickups and a Thrōbak Bumblebee Wiring Harness laying around.

If you had the same would you swap anything? Pickups and Harness? Just Harness?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new R9. I also have a set of Thrōbak PG-102 pickups and a Thrōbak Bumblebee Wiring Harness laying around.

How does it sound stock? Modifications should always be made in service of something you want from the guitar that it doesn’t currently have.

h4ck.b0x7

Reaction score
How does it sound stock? Modifications should always be made in service of something you want from the guitar that it doesn’t currently have.
The neck pickup seems boomy/dark unless I have it WAY below the pickup rings. Unfortunately…or fortunately depending on how you look at it…the only amps I have are a 5F1 Tweed Champ and a Chris Stapleton Princeton. Nothing with much control over the tone stack.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score

I’d buy a husk and jam it full of these parts.

Your guitar is already set up, a brand new R9?! If there is anything it’s lacking, it could be remedied with a screw driver and several hours with your favorite amp.

sd_guitars

Reaction score
I just sold my 2019 R7 which I had put Throbak PG-102s into. I left the harness stock.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The neck pickup seems boomy/dark unless I have it WAY below the pickup rings. Unfortunately…or fortunately depending on how you look at it…the only amps I have are a 5F1 Tweed Champ and a Chris Stapleton Princeton. Nothing with much control over the tone stack.
Have you tried adjusting the pole screws?

DanD

Reaction score
My Throbaks come in a close third to my CBs (potted and un) .

There's nothing wrong with dropping the neck pup to your taste.

I love me some Champ and Princeton. A CS Princeton is on my short list.

If that's what you have adjust the R9 to your gear and ears.

If you like the sound it doesn't matter where the pups are.

Stib66

Reaction score
I just swapped the CBs in my 2020 R0 for a set of Throbak SLE 101 MXV. The Throbaks seems a little more airy and sweet, however the CBs had more of a quack that was cool.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Modifications should always be made in service of something you want from the guitar that it doesn’t currently have.
Nonsense! One should aways replace all stock parts with exactly the same part sold at 5x the price, mounted on a fancy piece of cartboard or in a fancy box.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Never understood why you’d want or recommend swapping the entire harness for the more recent historics.They’re just fine imo.

I mean if you want better taper in the pots then I totally understand.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nonsense! One should aways replace all stock parts with exactly the same part sold at 5x the price, mounted on a fancy piece of cartboard or in a fancy box.
Why hell yeah.

Latest Threads