R9 neck conversion to a 60s profile?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Dec 31, 2017.

1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Curious if they still would say that the R0 has never been sold?

I thought that was a strange thing to say...

Who and mudface like this.
  2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

The way they see it a return is considered never been sold.....

Even if it's been "returned" a dozen times.:facepalm:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

That has to be unethical, you'd think. They sell b-stock all the time

4. mudface

mudface Senior Member

WE absolutely see it as unethical,..... they see it as "Business" and it's obligatory of its employees to conduct it as such. We of course have the option to say " no thanks " I'll take my money elsewhere :D

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. cherrysunburst00

And that's pretty much what I've done

6. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Right on. And the "search function"....don't forget that. There is nothing wrong with asking questions....even subjective ones if you have to. Just search it first to make sure there aren't already 1000 threads on the question you seek an answer to. You can bet if it has to do with weight, build materials, neck size, or anything else making a tone difference, it's been covered.

I guarantee you that's why you get some of the "Jesus, not THIS again" responses to your posts. It may be an honest, no harm question on your part, but you've been around a while now, and so it's a "he should know better" type of thing, ya know?

PierM likes this.
  7. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

There are always "general rules". Example.....neck sizes, largest to slim, R7, R8, R9, R0. Of course there are exceptions from every year, but, as a rule.....

Weight.....same thing. R7 GENERALLY heaviest. R8's and R9's are a crap shoot. Doesn't matter the year or decade.

8. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Go watch James Hetfield's left hand. You'll see that he plays with his thumb over the top of the fretboard quite a lot - including Master of Puppets.

Maybe the problem's a bit more three dimensional? Maybe you'd be more comfortable with a neck that's not only thinner, but is also a little bit wider? The LP neck might just be too narrow for your technique and physical make-up.

Also - go and try out a Les Paul Custom when you get the chance. The neck carve might be closer to what you want.

Finally, you should be able to ask your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist. The physiotherapist should be able to help you adapt your guitar playing to the limitations of your injured wrist.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  9. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Stuff.

I've noticed that, but didn't think much about that. I suppose he gets away with that because most of his main guitars must have slimmer necks :)

I've tried wider necks, but couldn't get used to them :)

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Don't worry. Just try bumping one of those old threads with a new post and you will get plenty of howling about that too. :laugh2:

You've got a good signature move, though: start multiple versions of the same thread across several sub-forums. That way we will know it is you. :thumbs:

mudface, FennRx, Crotch and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

good suggestion in my book. I checked out different Customs a few years ago and there is nothing more comfortable than a Custom neck. I really don't know what it is, but Customs do also have breathtakingly low string action without any buzzing or fretting out.

Also the RIs come in the different neck thicknesses R7/8/9 and 0. I'm still kicking myself for not having bought this yellowed beater a member here sold last year, only 15 minutes away. It ended up at Guitar Point

Stuff likes this.
  12. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I tried 3-4 Slim Neck ones, as well as 2 pre-2013 R0s, and I think they had pretty much the same neck. At least I couldn't really tell the difference. Which maybe means that either the two R0s had the V3 neck or the Slim Neck ones have the V2 neck. Or maybe I just can't feel the difference between V2 and V3 :)

13. Deadletteroffice

Deadletteroffice Senior Member

Can we see pictures of your R9? Perhaps if you post pictures you may receive trade offers of R0's or slim R9's. Not all R9 necks are the same either.

Stuff, FennRx and mdubya like this.
  14. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Yes yes.....we need pics

15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Can't wait for your next thread on the same topic. :thumb:

16. Deadletteroffice

Deadletteroffice Senior Member

If it were me, I would send it to somebody like https://www.jaegerguitars.com/the-bavarian-makeover.html on your side of the pond and have the neck taken down to what you want and the guitar refinished. I recently went through the same ordeal. Wanting the neck taken down on a CS Gibson. Initially I was going to have the neck taken down and JUST the back of the neck re-sprayed. But I started to get suspicious of how that may age. I know the good painters say they can do it seamlessly. And maybe they can. But it just wasn't sitting right with me. So then I figured I'd do a "makeover", just the minimum job so I can get the neck done and the entire guitar repainted. But as I came to accept that I'd go that route, I figured since I'm there I'd do the fret board as well on this particular guitar. Mine is in progress at HM. If it goes amazing I do have another guitar that I would consider doing the standard makeover on to get the paint more to where I want. But that guitar does not require a fret board.

That's my 2 cents. Either do it right, or sell it and get an R0, or trade it for an R0. For me that top is a bit bright. If I was you I'd keep the guitar since you like it and seem to have a bond with it, and get it tweaked in at a great makeover shop and call it a day. They can fade the new paint and make it silky.

Stuff likes this.
  17. mudface

mudface Senior Member

18. 59noob

59noob Senior Member

I think you should spend more time trying out R0's and slim R9's before you commit. I have relatively small hands, and am very comfortable with Fender necks, but when I crossed over to Gibson I automatically thought I would have to go for an R0 or R9 transition neck, but it turned out that because the widths are all the same for different thicknesses, the slimmer necks turn out flatter and give me lots of fatigue when playing barre chord after barre cord after barre chord. I found that for me, the ratio of width to thickness is the key for me and then I go up or down in terms of neck size across brands with ease. So for Gibson, they are full R9 size necks that work for me and slim necks like the Shanks or R0's are a problem for me. "Low shoulder" modified R9 necks are also a problem for me. I have on the rare occasion come across some R0's with more shoulder, squarish profile, which gives the impression of a thicker neck because of the increase girth, and these work for me even though they are slightly uncomfortable. Just thought I'd contribute a few thoughts to this thread.

alnico59, cherrysunburst00 and Stuff like this.
  19. 69fan

69fan Banned

don't know about physics but my personal empirical experience and history suggest it doesn't. two most iconic bursts, eric clapton's beano and jimmy page's #1, had slim necks and produced monster tones.

as for physics, all i know is that physics phd's tend to laugh at us guitar players for believing that tone has anything to do with wood. i've heard so much bs regarding music and guitars from people with degrees in physics that i just don't care what physics suggest anymoe.

20. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Once you drive your output it's for sure impossible to tell, but if you take your own guitar, and shave its neck, you'll be getting some noticeable difference in the clean tone, again...prior any gain or drive, which are clipping your frequency spectrum.

A guy on the tube did that, and produced a procedural set of comparisons for every pass of neck reduction. Difference was bloody impressive in that case, especially between the two extremes.

Stinky Kitty likes this.