R9 More difficult to bend than R8

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitch is a function of tension.
If the string is at pitch with 20-lbs of tension, and 1 step higher at 22lbs of tension, it is what it is, and that will never change for a guitar with that specific scale length.

The overall length of the string, I.E., the distance from the bridge to the tailstop, whether or not it is top-wrapped, and the distance from the nut to the tuner DOES impact how far you have to push the string to produce the increase in tension.
Top-wrapping adds an inch or two to the length of the string, so there is more string to absorb the tension... you'll have to push it a bit farther.

The tailstop geometry CAN figure into this. If the R8 has a sharper break angle than the R9, then less of the stretch may be transmitted to the length of string between the bridge and tailpiece.
Likewise, the cut of the nut... if the string can not slip easily through the nut, it will require less stretch.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea this too ....Lubricated nut matters ....

But Im still a supporter of muscle memory ....If you can get both guitars set up exactly the same (except) neck size differences you will be closer.

This works either way because its subjective due to hand size. positional playing and the interaction of the hand vs neck geometry....

Injector

Reaction score
No two guitars are the same. I have two LPs set up identically buy they play differently. My ES335 has a lower action than both and yet feels stiffer to bend. Same gauge strings, same tailpiece height etc.

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Total length of string under tension is probably just different enough to notice. This can be measured.

martin H

Reaction score
This may be due to raising the tailpiece, I’ve thought about this issue for a long time, and the conclusion I’ve come to is this:

The theory is that raising the tailpiece reduces the downforce on the bridge saddles, and allows the sting to slide in the saddle towards the nut when you bend. Because this slide slightly reduces the tension between the saddle and the nut, it is “easier” to bend. The counter-side, however is that this slide will also reduce the pitch of the string a bit. So, even though it requires less force to bend, you have to physically bend further to get the desired pitch.

Sct13

Reaction score
That is called string compliance … it’s studied in depth in violin making / bridge carving…

zdoggie

Reaction score
I think that the thickness of the neck can cause finger angles to change and make bending a little more difficult I noticed
this on different guitars I thought it was just me I really think there is something there.

zdog

TrackerDan

Reaction score
It means you got to practice, practice, practice.

Someone just told me a 2009 59 has real factory jumbo frets? I was noticing all the current models are listed as medium jumbos, except the R8 which has like tall skinny like what Fender uses now? Mine is pretty close to factory original except I can dig those frets more than I used to. The neck is fabulous.

Attachments

• R8 2.jpeg
    R8 2.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sct13

Reaction score
Oh my … that crazy one on the stand!

DanD

Reaction score
My guess is that's the R9....

Really nice top on that one!

_xxERICxx_

Reaction score
I'll take a silly stab at this and say that the extra rigidity of the neck in the R8 keeps things a bit more firm, where bending on an R9 sized neck is flexing a tad more???? Any takers?

Injector

Reaction score
I'll take a silly stab at this and say that the extra rigidity of the neck in the R8 keeps things a bit more firm, where bending on an R9 sized neck is flexing a tad more???? Any takers?
My 335 is stiffer to bend than my R7 and the R7 has the bigger neck. Same action, same bridge and tailpiece height, same gauge strings...

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the fret heights the same? It's been my experience that guitars with lower frets often feel harder to play because there's a little more finger drag.

I used to have a Les Paul "fretless wonder". Couldn't solo on that thing to save granny's last pair of boxers. So I ditched it for a brand new LP Standard in the 90's with "railroad track" frets. All's of a sudden I could slap that B string up over the low E, across the back of the chair and out the kitchen window before granny could get her boxers on the clothesline fast enough to spray 'em down with the ol' garden hose.

I'd like to hear other peep's thoughts on this too (the fret height part, not the part about granny's boxers).

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear other peep's thoughts on this too (the fret height part, not the part about granny's boxers).
I would not disagree.
I love tall frets... I considered a Malmsteen Strat but never pulled the trigger.

Latest Threads