R9 2018 Case - Grey Padding

Kosmos

Reaction score
Hi

What is the consensus on the case that is supplied with the R9 2018. It has grey padded foam inserts at the head and the base. If these are removed, I worry that if (in the worst scenario) the case is knocked over from a vertical position, there could be damage, especially to the neck/headstock. There seems to be some lacking support for the headstock with this case.

Ultimately, of course, I care more about the guitar than the case. Should the foam be removed regardless, due to possible reaction to the nitro finish?

THDNUT

Reaction score
Truth be known, Lifton has a problem making a case that actually fits a Les Paul, hence the gray high density foam.

DON'T remove it.

John_P

Reaction score
Truth be told, I have one of those TKL cases with a built in headstock protector wedge that is pressing down the headstock, bends the neck into backbow and add a little twist in the neck when closing the case that clamps the neck so hard it's good only for shipping. I'm trying to figure out how to remove that bugger asap so that I can use the case, because as is I couldn't use the case for anything but selling the guitar on-line. Aka headstock protection at the expense of playability. Everytime I've used the case the guitar gets the rubber neck syndrom, so I'm using a gig bag instead. But now I need the case and have to get rid of the wedge somehow. It's glued on the inside of the lid. Maybe a heatgun will do the trick...

integra evan

Reaction score
Just for shipping, and don't leave it standing up vertical!

squeeze

Reaction score
Because when a case is left standing, it’s more susceptible to being knocked over, obviously.
Thank you. I was thinking of other things that might happen but missed the most obvious....:oops:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
I use a folded up flannel that sits in the gap where the neck sits by the case compartment. If you do this you'll notice that it raises the headstock up away from the base of the case a little. Might just be enough to avoid headstock damage or a break if the case takes a hit to that area

FWIW I have left the grey foam in that the bottom strap button sits in, it's reducing the amount the guitar moves around so figured it has to be a good thing

John_P

Reaction score
I left the top ones in it makes the guitar more stable I think...
-How could a case possibly stabilize a guitar?

The guitar is supposed to be stable when played, i.e it's supposed to be stable when outside the case. The case must not in any way exert bending or twisting forces. This is extremely important, because otherwise the guitar cannot be stable when taken out from the case.

The truss rod is there to counterbalance string pull, that's not a job for the case. If the guitar is stored in a case on its back for a long period, then gravity and/or the pressure from the closed lid, will try to bend the neck, causing a hump in the neck at the position of the neck rest, especially when a case has a single neck support or when the weight of the guitar is not evenly distributed over the neck supports. Therefore guitars should be stored in vertical position, obviously after having taken appropriate measures to ensure that the case actually fits the guitar and that it cannot fall.

Guitars and cases are just randomly scrambled together at the factory and/or at the dealer. It was just assumed that the case would fit, no one was bothered with the fact that each individual guitar and each individual case is different.

I don't know about the gray foam in the Liftons, but I do know that the permanent glued on foam wedge covered in lining in one TKL case of mine, is too firm. It doesn't "give" the way it should, instead it twists and bends the neck, so I'll have it removed.

cmerch

Reaction score
I've owned gibsons for a long time, and just recently acquired my very first custom shop guitar. I don't know about other years, but my 2018 case is adequate, but I wouldn't say it's even as nice as a run of the mill les paul standard case. That's what I keep mine in. I just keep the original case and case candy for if i ever sell it, but as far as actual protection for the guitar, which is it's purpose, I think it's substandard. I get it, it's keeping with the "vintage" vibe of a guitar made to copy a 1959 guitar, but when I pay that much for something, I want the best protection I can get for it.

Reactions: Jer

1all's Pub

Reaction score
It’s just there for reinforcement during shipping, not intended to be left in the case once received by the customer/owner. That said, while I doubt (but am not 100% sure) that it would harm the finish to leave in permanently, I personally wouldn’t risk it. The RI cases are designed the way they are because they are trying to be historically accurate, not because it‘s the best design (it is, after all, a 70yr old case design).

If you’re gonna take the guitar on the road or just haul it back and forth between local gigs I would recommend getting a better/more protective case anyway. Not just for the guitar’s sake (although primarily that), but to preserve the case as well since it’s part of the whole “historic” presentation of the guitar. But if you are just a home player then the factory RI case is plenty sufficient (without the gray foam inserts).

THDNUT

Reaction score
It’s just there for reinforcement during shipping, not intended to be left in the case once received by the customer/owner.

If that's true why would they glue it in the case? It would provide said protection without being cemented in the case.

I have two "Lifton" CS cases with the foam that came in them for an '06 and '07 R9. There hasn't been any deterioration of the foam or damage to the guitar finishes in 14 and 13 years respectively.

Last edited:

squeeze

Reaction score
I keep mine inside the case. The bottom seems to have fallen off or not glued. My guitar looks fine but I’m thinking of using a cleaning cloth to cover the areas that touch the foams, just in case.....

John_P

Reaction score
If that's true why would they glue it in the case? It would provide said protection without being cemented in the case.
There are no OHSC that come with glued on pads anymore as far as I know. Cases made by TKL in the 90s and early 2000 used to have one glued on headstock pad; A firm foam wedge covered in lining. But TKL stopped using the pads. For the last 15 years TKL cases come without any headstock pads, neither glued on nor removable.

Lifton cases however are shipped with two gray foam wedges without lining (one under the headstock and one over) and these wedges are removable for a reason.

I keep mine inside the case. The bottom seems to have fallen off or not glued. My guitar looks fine but I’m thinking of using a cleaning cloth to cover the areas that touch the foams, just in case.....
When you add even more padding over the headstock you will increase stress on the headstock. Even though the headstock won't break, it still bends the neck into back bow (especially when the wedge below the headstock is missing).

squeeze

Reaction score
There are no OHSC that come with glued on pads anymore as far as I know. Cases made by TKL in the 90s and early 2000 used to have one glued on headstock pad; A firm foam wedge covered in lining. But TKL stopped using the pads. For the last 15 years TKL cases come without any headstock pads, neither glued on nor removable.

Lifton cases however are shipped with two gray foam wedges without lining (one under the headstock and one over) and these wedges are removable for a reason.

When you add even more padding over the headstock you will increase stress on the headstock. Even though the headstock won't break, it still bends the neck into back bow (especially when the wedge below the headstock is missing).
I’m just going to use one cloth folded over the headstock, just to avoid the wood touching the foams. I think this should not harm the headstock, right?

John_P

Reaction score
I’m just going to use one cloth folded over the headstock, just to avoid the wood touching the foams. I think this should not harm the headstock, right?
It's your guitar. I have played Gibsons for 40 years and I don't worry about the headstock. I don't want the case to mess with the setup, that's all.

I would not check in a an OHSC case when flying, I would rather use a flight case.
I prefer a gig bag when going to gigs.
I would remove the Lifton foam wedges when storing the guitar in my house.
If I was selling a guitar on-line and ship it by air cargo, I would use the wedges or wrapped paper stuffed around the headstock.

Kosmos

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback all, some different opinions on this.

I have taken out the top foam wedge, as it does seem to clamp down on the headstock a little too much, but I will keep the bottom foam wedge in place. As there is literally no headstock support without it.

The case does look fantastic and I appreciate that it has been designed to be historically accurate. If i were travelling with this guitar, I would definitely invest in a case with better protection.

The HisCox Pro ii EG looks great, but for indoor use and storage, I think it may be a bit over kill and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Latest Threads