R9 2006

RealChameleon

Reaction score
Hi there. I am new here. I am jumping from an ES 335 to an LP (never thought I would). My question, I am about to buy a 2006 R9 ‘59. I see in some threads I have to upgade the PUs. Any views here and maybe explanation why? Also anything else necessary?

cheers from Belgium!

mjross

Reaction score
Buy it and play it first. It probably sounds amazing without an impulsive pickup swap. Best of luck!
Totally agree with this! The Custombuckers in the R9‘s are excellent pickups (if it has Custombucker). Some people change pickups just because that‘s what they do. I use to be one of those people. I’d try the Custombuckers first!

Last edited:

burstone

Reaction score
2006 would have burstbuckers. Some like them, others not so much.
They might sound great in that particular guitar, so as others have said, try them first, adjust the heights appropriately to your liking and go from there.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Never just outwardly change the pickups (or electronics) until you have listened to it at volume.....

I take it to band practice and struggle with it there, then decide what it needs....if there is no struggle ....there is no changes...

A rare occurrence

burstone

Reaction score
If you plan to use it in a band, then definitely don't need to change anything.
Once the bass and the drums kick in, you can't hear anything else anyway. :lol:

mjross

Reaction score
If you plan to use it in a band, then definitely don't need to change anything.
Once the bass and the drums kick in, you can't hear anything else anyway. :lol:
Hear that, boy do I hear that! But you got to love them.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, Never just outwardly change the pickups (or electronics) until you have listened to it at volume.....

I take it to band practice and struggle with it there, then decide what it needs....if there is no struggle ....there is no changes...

A rare occurrence
This right here.

RealChameleon

Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance....! Of course I will listen first. Loved my ES 335 from the first tones and still like it. Hopefully this will happen too. Will test the R9 next week.

Great R8

Reaction score
My question, I am about to buy a 2006 R9 ‘59. I see in some threads I have to upgade the PUs. Any views here and maybe explanation why? Also anything else necessary?

cheers from Belgium!
Why do you think you have to do that?!
Stop! Don't do it, at least compare before you swap. It's burst buckers vs custom buckers. I know it's not quite the same but my 2006 R8 sounds amazing and I prefer that over my 2019! You might end up liking the burst buckers more.

youngneil1

Reaction score
I love my 2006 R9! I have purchased several Gibson that has come and gone, but that one is a keeper. 100% stock

Latest Threads