R9 … Install Pickguard To Sell?

MacB

Reaction score
This is my second try at this thread, the first time I added a link for a better quality photo and the thread disappeared, so giving it a second shot.

I have a 2013 LPR9 that I bought new, without the pickguard installed, I think that was part of what attracted me to it. I also have an R8 and R0, and didn’t play the R9 much because I didn’t want to mark it up (but still liked the guardless look). So sort of shooting myself in the foot, I’m going to sell it because I don’t play it. ‍

In researching what R9s are going for I don’t see any without pickguards (though I haven’t looked a lot of places). My questions are: Do people find LPs more attractive with the pickguard installed? Would you buy an R9 that included, but didn’t have the pickguard installed? Would I increase my market or possibly price by installing the guard?

Thanks for your thoughts …

C4_mpbx-DvCYnZE-NyfiukPGB3MYJ3yrxzwDA0TZGa33SPBPRoWAioFSmjeclgdbPVEy1W0UVYGSieAz1BmVyhUjqAmTEZkLIXcRbmS9THKaqNl5ANCkbm7Cl2XtkUKR1077ltyjDQ

(seem to have trouble linking a high quality image on this site)

MacB

Reaction score
I would say that no one put a pickguard on it because the top is killer. I think the potential buyer can decide whether or not to put it on. You can include the pickguard and leave it up to them.

Ok, one last time (for real this time)

Pickguard on
Pickup covers on
Top wrap
Grovers
Boxers
Brunettes
Jeans and boots
Whiskey
Dogs
Chocolate

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a top like that, id let the buyer decide.
This.
If the top has not yet been drilled for the guard, leave it off and let the buyer decide.
If it's been drilled, then installing it doesn't change anything... go ahead and mount it up.

The value is not impacted with it removed as long as you have the original parts.

NHDave

Reaction score
The pick guard not installed I believe is an ordering option. I like the slash look and usually take the guard off. I definitely think it’s cool if it was never drilled. That’s a great looking top. Don’t think you’ll have an issue selling.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I would not install it. Let the buyer make the choice. I do not like pickguards.

I'd be interested in that guitar myself, but I know I don't have the funds to spare for another guitar right now.

1allspub

Reaction score
An uninstalled pickguard does not negatively affect the value. If anyhing, it might make the guitar even more attractive to someone who favors the no-pickguard look.

Killer top, BTW. I am generally a pickguard “on” kinda guy, but that one would make me think twice about getting out the drill. ;)

I used to have a 2014 R8 that was a hand-picked top from Dave’s Guitar Shop. It’s top was monster, but came without the pickguard holes drilled. I struggled for a few couple months on whether or not to drill it. Eventually I did, but I’m not convinced I made the right choice. If I had to do it over again, pretty sure I would leave it alone.

smk506

Reaction score
At this point leave it for the next owner to decide. Price it right and it will be gone so fast the question will be moot by next weekend. That’s a killer top!

MacB

Reaction score
Thank you all, the opinions are pretty unanimous and make total sense (@Duane_the_tub ’s philosophy of life not withstanding). I appreciate the advice and will leave it as is (any other advice also welcome).

I need to finish my pricing research, take more pictures, and write an accurate description, then I’ll post it in the classified section probably in the next week.

Ok, next question … will shipping a Gibson in a Fender box detract from the value? :D

Last edited:

brandall10

Reaction score
Thank you all, the opinions are pretty unanimous and make total sense (@Duane_the_tub ’s philosophy of life not withstanding). I appreciate the advice and will leave it as is (any other advice also welcome).

I need to finish my pricing research, take more pictures, and write an accurate description, then I’ll post it in the classified section probably in the next week.

Ok, next question … will shipping a Gibson in a Fender box detract from the value?

Late to the party, but absolutely don't install the pickguard. I know that dealers will request this for superlative tops, it just signals to me that this one was 'special', and as a purchaser I'd probably also keep it uninstalled as it would seem to have a bit more market value that way.

Original box does not matter. Case + COA, absolutely.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
With a top like that, id let the buyer decide.
I agree. I bought my 2019 that never had the pickguard installed. I don't plan to sell it but if I did, the guard stays in the case and the new owner can decide. I'll probably be dead anyway so I won't care.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score

Ok, next question … will shipping a Gibson in a Fender box detract from the value? :)
My Flying-V showed up in a Glarry box........

Bro KV

Reaction score
Even if I was into the pickguard look, it would be impossible to bring myself to the point of drilling that top to install it. Do not install!!

judson

Reaction score
No guard holes...leave it for the next guy...

but really DO NOT SHIP in a box the SCREAMS GUITAR INSIDE.....

or print in larger letters STEAL THIS GUITAR....:run:

even a $1000 gibson studio i would not advertise whats inside..:hyper:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
No guard holes...leave it for the next guy...

but really DO NOT SHIP in a box the SCREAMS GUITAR INSIDE.....

or print in larger letters STEAL THIS GUITAR....:run:

even a $1000 gibson studio i would not advertise whats inside..:hyper:
Ya... It always cracked me up when people on gun forums talked about slapping band stickers on their pelican cases to conceal the fact that they had rifles in their vehicle.
#1 - *ANYTHING* transported in a Pelican case is likely valuable
#2 - Pretty much anything more than a Squier is worth more than the majority of rifles belonging to gun forum members.

Latest Threads