R8 Weight & Tone

pmonk

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put the ear to the back of a guitar and hit the strings?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup.....its loud....isn't it ...?

Sct13

Reaction score
SO I re- read through this post.....its from 2015.....5 years ago....!

I still have that 14 R8....still haven't figured out what's so magical with this one.... I have been trough probably 12 Historics since then....I just can't seen to want to let this one go....

And I remember all those others as well....

JMB1984

Reaction score
SO I re- read through this post.....its from 2015.....5 years ago....!

I still have that 14 R8....still haven't figured out what's so magical with this one.... I have been trough probably 12 Historics since then....I just can't seen to want to let this one go....

And I remember all those others as well....
Same here. My 2013 R8 has survived at least 7 Historics that were purchased after it and have since found new homes. This includes several R9s.

Pageburst

Reaction score
I haven’t found a huge correlation between weight and tone. At least within +/- 8 ounces. I have 5 Historic R9s all within a few ounces of each other and they all have unique characteristics. From warm and fat to bright and twangy

I do notice that some Les Pauls seem to resonate more from the lower neck upper body and others seem to resonate from the mid lower body. I tend to prefer the more nasally twangy lower neck upper body ones but not always.

while something can be said for one Les Paul simplicity it’s nice to have choices. Along with unique flametops every Les Paul has its own specific tonal properties. It’s what makes owning more than one Les Paul so rewarding.

I do prefer Les Pauls in and around 8 1/2 lbs or lighter but that’s primarily due to how it feels on the strap. If I only played sitting down I’d have no problem with 9lb+ Les Pauls.

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My R9 is 8 pounds 1 ounce and is everything I expect of a Les Paul. The R5 and R4 are 8 pounds 8 ounces, middle of the road weight. The R0 Special is a heavy one, considering no maple cap, at 7 pounds 15 ounces. The R7 Junior is over 8 pounds, which is heavy for a Junior, but it sounds killer. All my guitars sound different, which is the reason for owning more than one. They are all Les Pauls and they all sound great. Weight makes some difference, but I’ve heard thin sounding heavy guitars and monstrous sounding light guitars. The point is, they all stand on their own merits. I specifically selected a gaggle of lightweight R9s up to 8.5 pounds when I went to buy my R9. The lightest of the bunch was the best player and could do the “Tele on steroids” thing as well as your prototypical Les Paul, with some girth. Can’t say this enough, but just play the guitar before you decide it’s too light or maybe too heavy. Some need a lighter guitar for physical reasons, there’s no shame in that, so a lighter guitar is mandatory. When you buy, sit down with at least a half dozen candidates before you decide.

Last edited:

Sct13

Reaction score
Agreed....

But in my neighborhood there are no candidates....I have to order and reject, or keep awhile and sell off....

Gets a little crazy sometimes....

but fun...

kakerlak

Reaction score
Mahogany can be so variable. I had a '60-ish Epiphone Wilshire for a minute, years ago, that must've been 5-something pounds. It was just an absolute feather (bought it at a guitar show and then sold it at the same guitar show and wound up buying a '64 Jazzmaster. Fun what $6-700 would do twenty years ago... I'm sidetracking myself. I have a late '70s GRD made of Honduran mahogany that's pretty heavy, though it's also got a maple cap and a heavy machined brass bridge and control cavity cover, a 9v battery, etc. But it feels LP heavy and it's not as thick.

And everybody's picked up those 12+ lbs Norlins before. There's probably a little weight added by the extra glue seam in the 3 vs 2 piece top and two on either side of the maple sandwich, which itself weighs nominally more than an equivalent layer of mahogany, but I have to think the primary factor in those being so heavy was/is heavy mahogany. I can't think of any total featherweight SGs from that mid/late '70s era, at least from what I've had my hands on.

So anyway, maple seems to be near universally heavy, sometimes wildly so. But at least the mahogany neck and body of a LP has the potential to be pretty damn light. It's a thick guitar, even without the maple cap, but it's also fairly small, in terms of width. The maple will certainly add some weight, but a lot of it is carved away. I guess the bottom line is it shouldn't be unreasonable to total out at/under 8lbs with hardware.

judson

Reaction score
my 2006 R8 weighs in at 9.40 but the fatty in the group is my 71 deluxe at 10.26 and thats with a shaved pencil thin neck that some maroon from the 70's wanted to be pagey....but i got it for a great price so im not complaining really :fingersx:

weighr8.jpg
71LPfatty.jpg

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want an 8lb r8 just to make it easier on my shoulder when playing stood up, I have found one but need to sell something first. For reference all my late model R’s are just under/over 4kg. Which is about 8lb 12oz. My 2003 R6 is 9lb 4oz.

el84ster

Reaction score
Generally I think lighter can give a richer, slightly airier tone and heavier is more...fundamental, more solid thunk. In general. There are so many variables.
But my current R8 is 8.3lbs and the best lp I’ve ever played. Sustains for ever, rich complex tone for days and doesn’t kill my shoulder.

Sct13

Reaction score
Weight is about the density of the wood or woods.....That's why when anti-tone-wood people compare to a cement guitar ...they cant tell the difference....

The lighter guitars have more distance between the fibers so they can feel more airy .....some might call that less focused....(subjective use of language)

A solid, closely packed piece of wood (fibers) might have a different type of focus ....to my ears, the highs stand out a little more and they can tend to be a bit brittle.

This is an unplugged guitar....once you add electronics the whole dynamic is ruled by another set of physics...

But I do not rule out woods playing some role in how the strings deplete their energy through the wood, thereby voicing what the pickup "hears" using a clean tone.

When you add gain / distortion / effects nearly everything goes right out the window....

The other thing is some (many) may be unable to hear these subtle differences, ...

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
050F3976-3D02-42DD-93BE-F380655883D0.jpeg

2007 R8 ebony is a reissue, but the old Hanson scale is an original!
9 lbs. 8 oz.

Latest Threads