R8 Weight & Tone

wolfpack

Reaction score
I've seen a few newer 2014 R8's for sale described as being light & resonate, around 8 lbs.
I know these are not chambered, but I don't understand how they can be that light weight.
I've always found the feel & tone of 9-10 lbs as being the perfect feel & tone for me.

Looking for reviews or comments

BDW60

Reaction score
Well you aren't going to find many R8s right at 8 pounds -- that's more the territory of the featherweights from Wildwood and the chambered reissues. Majority of R8s are realistically going to be between 8.5 and 9.2 from what I have seen. If you really want a 10 pound historic, you will have to search for a 68 custom.

The accepted sweet spot historic weight seems to be like 8.4-8.9 pounds. That's where they supposedly have the solid feel and sound you expect from a Les Paul but aren't a boat anchor. Though the featherweights and chambered reissues definitely have their fans. Bright tone, easy on the back. To me, if a LP gets 8 pounds or less it starts feeling odd in hand and on a strap, sort of toy like. I have heard great sounding ones but they just feel weird to me.

I always want a Les Paul right in the homer zone -- about 8 pounds, 10 oz. (8.6 pounds) That's what my new R0 V2 neck is, and that's what feels right to me.

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
AGree with the above. All my historics are between 8lbs 5 oz and 8lbs 12 oz. I have an 8lb 10oz R8 that feels just right. Too light and it just doesn't feel right for me. But I also won't buy a historic over 9lbs mostly for resale purposes.

Ape Factory

Reaction score
So...if a historic comes in at 8lb. 2oz., you all can feel the difference? I mean that's pretty elfin' specific. There seem to be plenty of R9's that rock and come in less than that weight. I think if you're buying based on weight alone, without playing the guitar, you may be missing out.

7gtop

Reaction score
..... Too light and it just doesn't feel right for me.
But I also won't buy a historic over 9lbs mostly for resale purposes.

the few I own are slightly

+/- 9lbs.

for.the.sloppy.secondz. $

:lol:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Both my R8 and LPC both are 9+. Not sure how any historic model could come in much <9 and be considered accurate? I have owned chambered and played a chambered DC Standard plus for years. Tone, weight and balance make for quite a different instrument in my opinion. Lesters are supposed to be dense and thick!

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not sure how any historic model could come in much <9 and be considered accurate?
The data chart in Beauty of the Burst lists the weights of the 28 different 'bursts. The weights range from 8.22 lbs to 9.72 lbs with the average being 8.86 lbs. These 28 guitars make up less than 2% of the total production of 'bursts so I sure that there are some guitars outside of this range. I know that I've heard of at least one 'burst as well as several goldtops that weighed less than 8 lbs.

winexprt

Reaction score
My 2013 R8 weighs exactly 9 lbs. I couldn't love its tone more.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
CC#7 9 lbs exactly....oh that's an R-oh or R-Zero, or....whatever you callit.

But its like a chainsaw, even acoustically. Eggs shatter spontaneously in the fridge....

My 14 R8 at 8lbs 13 oz (I think) and that thing is a cannon, Brass casings fly out of its back end....the sweet smell of cordite fills the room

14 R8 Aged....8lbs 6 oz....now that's a whole different kettle of fish for some reason....I not sure that its 100% related to the weight, but might be density of the wood as well, its a very midrange to high sounding guitar....Jury is still out on why. Already put different pickups in it, NO change....:hmm:

And the 2011 R9.....pfft! Amazing 8lbs 10 oz, another tone cannon with no muzzle break.....Cracks Ribs on command. MY command....

winexprt

Reaction score
I have no idea if this is actually true, as I have seen other reports that it weighs around 9 lbs, but it looks like Page's #1 might actually be under 8...
1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard 'No. 1' - Led Zeppelin: Achilles Last Stand

If true, it's probably the lightest one I've heard of.
Just thought it was interesting, that's all.
I was just about to post about the purported weight of Pagey's No. 1.

I suspect that the extreme shaving of the neck took that weight down a good amount. It most likely was a lighter 'Burst to begin with.

Natural1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
if true, definitely a very light one to begin with. Also, Grovers weigh a few ounces more than Klusons. So some of that weight loss would have been gained back.

dwk302

Reaction score
So is something in between, say 8.2 or 8.3 too light?

MiniB

Reaction score
Had a 2010 R7 that weighted 8 lb 6 oz. Was kinda' dead sounding no matter what pickups and hardware I tried, and sort of 'clanky', always strangely bright. Recently got a 2013 R8 that's 8 lb 7 oz...resonant and vibrant right out of the box, kept that character through a pickup change and even trying different bridges. Rich, warm and even. I really doubt the difference between the two is all in that one ounce.

Natural1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My R0 is 8.5 and it sounds great to me. However, my favorite guitar in terms of across-the-board tone is a 2013 weight-relieved standard. It's 7.7 lbs and both lively and has tons of sustain. Again, nothing more than my opinion. Every guitar is different.

Pappy58

Reaction score
The data chart in Beauty of the Burst lists the weights of the 28 different 'bursts. The weights range from 8.22 lbs to 9.72 lbs with the average being 8.86 lbs. These 28 guitars make up less than 2% of the total production of 'bursts so I sure that there are some guitars outside of this range. I know that I've heard of at least one 'burst as well as several goldtops that weighed less than 8 lbs.
Thanks wasn't aware the range was that drastic. :dunno: I never came in contact with any really light one's until the chambered models started showing up. Learn something new every day!

rykus

Reaction score
My '10 R9 that I sent to HM came from Marks guitar loft and weighed in at 7lbs 13oz befre the makeover.... neck is over .93 at the first, they shaped it into a deep v.... seems like a great mix to me,just got to keep the treble bite down with brass bits and over wound pu's and it is a killer agressive les paul that has feirce attack and great open clear tone. wrong parts don't work on this guitar as it is so naturally bright.

I have a early 70's 56 RI that is easily 10+ lbs and with the P90's that cuts in a whole different way!Both are killer guitars but IMO if you get a good one in the 8.5 9 range it will work with more parts and be easy to brighten or fatten up, where as really light or heavy might be so naturally one way that it will sound exesive with the wrong hardware and pick ups, and even amps.

all that and the obvious difference on the body after a 4 hr rehersal!

Pappy58

Reaction score
My '10 R9 that I sent to HM came from Marks guitar loft and weighed in at 7lbs 13oz befre the makeover

Wow,,,I mean Wow.... I am a little more than interested in where all this weight variance is coming from? Especially back in the day...single factory, probably common suppliers and species for most woods, exact specs, size thickness, hardware etc. I would expect weight variances to be 1/2-3/4lbs at most....and personally the most I have seen, granted on a limited number of instruments compared to many of the more experienced.

So I guess the only explanation is variances in wood densities and mass??, it still seems odd to me. But I am easily confused. I will comment that you cannot base anything on Page's stuff, there is no telling what he did to them. :hmm:

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
My '10 R9 that I sent to HM came from Marks guitar loft and weighed in at 7lbs 13oz befre the makeover

Wow,,,I mean Wow.... I am a little more than interested in where all this weight variance is coming from? Especially back in the day...single factory, probably common suppliers and species for most woods, exact specs, size thickness, hardware etc. I would expect weight variances to be 1/2-3/4lbs at most....and personally the most I have seen, granted on a limited number of instruments compared to many of the more experienced.

So I guess the only explanation is variances in wood densities and mass??, it still seems odd to me. But I am easily confused. I will comment that you cannot base anything on Page's stuff, there is no telling what he did to them. :hmm:
Yep...that's it. Down at the factory, they have stacks and stacks of backs all labeled with a weight. They do very quite a bit. They know for example that after routing the back out for the electronics, adding the hardward,etc.,a 8.1lb. back will end up making a 8.8 lb. guitar (not actual numbers, but, you get the idea).

When I was there last year, I was able to find a sub 7.5 back. Consequently, I have a very light L.P..

No, it doesn't affect the tone one bit.

Latest Threads