R8 vs R9, thoughts??

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking at a 2020 R8 in bourbon burst, i played one 2019 R9 which i remember not digging as much, but i only played the one, are the necks all a bit thinner on the 9s? Im really liking the R8 but the neck is really big, not sure if thats enough to not get it because it was still awesome. But definitely interested in hearing what other peoples opinions are, thanks!

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
R9 necks are supposed to be thinner. I've tried a few of each. There is pretty big variation in them. I've played a few that were amazing and resonate and sounded great plugged in. But the last few I tried were not as impressive.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I’m and R7 and R8 fan, mainly because of the big-chunky 50’s necks that I prefer. Plus the R7’s and R8’s are usually $1000+ less money.
I just noticed the price difference, do you know why it is so different?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
There's no way to predict which guitar will speak to you in a spec comparison between R8 and R9's.

Get more guitars in your hands, for that kind of money you had better KNOW you have a keeper

jskidder

Reaction score
I just noticed the price difference, do you know why it is so different?
The biggest reason is popularity. R9 and R0 models are more desirable so they can sell them at a higher price. There's some validity to the R9s and R0s having more heavily flamed tops, but that doesn't make a $1500 difference in retail pricing. And there are definitely some heavily flamed R8s out there - particularly some of the dealer-exclusive models - but those have the same price gap as the plain ones. The only real difference other than the neck is the frets, which are more narrow on the R8. But having said that, some dealers order R8s with 59-spec frets and 59 or 60 spec necks, and that doesn't change the fact that they still retail $1500 less.

On the topic of neck thickness, there's definitely a lot of variance as mentioned. In fact, if you just look at depth measurements you can find some R8s that measure thinner than some R9s, but that really only tells half of the story. THe carve is totally different and the R8 has a lot more shoulder. So an R8 that has identical depth to an R9 will still feel a lot bigger in your hands.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
I’m and R7 and R8 fan, mainly because of the big-chunky 50’s necks that I prefer. Plus the R7’s and R8’s are usually $1000+ less money.
[/QUOTE
I agree completely, have you tried any R9s that had a good chunky neck? Or are they too thin all around

HomerThompson

Reaction score
The biggest reason is popularity. R9 and R0 models are more desirable so they can sell them at a higher price. There's some validity to the R9s and R0s having more heavily flamed tops, but that doesn't make a $1500 difference in retail pricing. And there are definitely some heavily flamed R8s out there - particularly some of the dealer-exclusive models - but those have the same price gap as the plain ones. The only real difference other than the neck is the frets, which are more narrow on the R8. But having said that, some dealers order R8s with 59-spec frets and 59 or 60 spec necks, and that doesn't change the fact that they still retail $1500 less.

On the topic of neck thickness, there's definitely a lot of variance as mentioned. In fact, if you just look at depth measurements you can find some R8s that measure thinner than some R9s, but that really only tells half of the story. THe carve is totally different and the R8 has a lot more shoulder. So an R8 that has identical depth to an R9 will still feel a lot bigger in your hands.
Thank you for that last point, thats what im looking for

mjross

Reaction score
I’m diggin my R8 more every day! It’s really starting to stand out among my other Les Pauls. She’s a plain top but really kicks ass!

mjross

Reaction score
See a lot of R8‘s with flame tops these days. Seems like there use to be more plain tops. Either way, one of my Les Pauls.

Gridlock

Reaction score
I have not tried an R9 with a big 50’s neck, but I have lot really looked hard at R8’s.

Latest Threads