R8 swap for CR8 - advice needed

joedonner2001

Reaction score
My 2008 R8 has been up for sale for a while, here and on Ebay UK (2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 58 R8 Custom Shop historic reissue in gloss Ice Tea | eBay).

I've just been contacted by someone who proposes a swap for a 2008 CR8, and the idea appeals to me. But I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on whether there's any reason this would or would not be a good idea.

Mine is gloss, mint, no case candy, ice tea, in most excellent condition.

The CR8 is from 2008, VOS, case candy + COA included, flamey cherry burst, and described as being in good condition - 9/10 with minor play wear.

Would appreciate any thoughts from you all. My R8 doesn't work for me for some reason, so as long as the CR8 is in good condition I don't really think I have anything to lose from a swap.

rclausen

Reaction score
What don't you like about your R8 that you think the CR8 will fix? If you like the color and flame on the CR8 then go for it. I would personally do the trade

madaxeman

Reaction score
I would probably do it. If you've been trying to flip the R8 anyway you might as well swap for the CR8 as the resale on that will be higher, particularly with a top like that.

The weight and balance of the CR8 might be a revelation as well as the 335-esque tones and resonance.

Do it! GAS itch cured for a little while as well- hopefully.

I did a strait swap R8 for an R7 with a forum member a little while ago and both of us are very pleased with the outcome.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
I'm not really trying to fix anything as such - I just never bonded with my R8 for some reason.

So, if the two are more or less equal in theoretical value, and the CR8 doesn't work out for me, then I may as well sell that and don't really "lose" anything in the deal. At least that's the thought I have at the moment.

Can't say I'm a massive cherryburst fan, but in the looks department the CR8 is pretty nice, I reckon.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
The weight and balance of the CR8 might be a revelation as well as the 335-esque tones and resonance.

This is the main reason why I'm entertaining the idea of swapping. I'd be very interested to hear how it feels and sounds.

Personally, I think value-wise they should be more-or-less on par.

GAS itch cured for a little while as well- hopefully.

Ah yes - how true! At least it'll keep me amused for a while, if nothing else.

madaxeman

Reaction score
Value wise I reckon you'd be getting the better deal. CR8's tend to cost a little more due to the figured tops and extra routing work.
A light Les Paul is great for gigs as well, I lucked out with my '01 R8 as it weighs 8.1 Ibs. I can do long gigs with zero discomfort with that. My 9Ib R7 can get a little cumbersome over a 3 hour gig.

madaxeman

Reaction score
One thing though Joe..What's going on with that poker chip/selector switch washer?
Looks like a Buzz-Feiten Tuning system is fitted or something? The washer becomes a tuning selector. Would also explain why there's a Pointer missing around the neck volume pot, it is maybe a push-pull for the tuning system?

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am going to guess that that Cherry Burst finish is not nearly as "clowny" as it appears in the photos. I love CR Les Pauls and I would definitely trade the R8 for the CR8 providing that you trust the person you are dealing with. Personally, I have never traded a guitar online just because there is no protection on the transaction in the unlikely event that you are dealing with someone who hasn't fully disclosed issues with the guitar or even worse a scammer. If you're comfortable with the trading partner, I go for it. :thumb:

joedonner2001

Reaction score
One thing though Joe..What's going on with that poker chip/selector switch washer?
Looks like a Buzz-Feiten Tuning system is fitted or something? The washer becomes a tuning selector. Would also explain why there's a Pointer missing around the neck volume pot, it is maybe a push-pull for the tuning system?

Good spot. I also wondered about those, and asked for larger pics, in which the poker chip seems different, but the neck volume control's pointer is still not there. Have asked the other party to clarify.

He pointed me at an ad in which he mentioned the guitar to be unmodified, so it raises some questions...

Tim Plains

Reaction score
The CR is worth about $500 more. Be sure to get his personal info if you make the trade. Only reason I say this is because my friend had his Polaris Razr stolen a few months ago. The cops found it when somebody went to register it. That guy wasn't the thief but he traded/lost a $7,000 machine. Cops would only say it was another ATV of some sort.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Yep - had some tuner system + a push/pull volume pot fitted, but is now back to stock.

Thanks very much for all the replies - much appreciated!

I'll have to give it some more thought.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Personally I think your plaintop is more attractive than that photoflame looking top on the CR. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Lkdog

Reaction score
I think the jury is split on the chambered historics.
A very reputable dealer here who has had hundreds of all types of historics for years believes that they have a distinctly different tone and less low end.
You may or may not like that depending upon what you are going for.

I also like your top better. LOL....

You might play with pickups or pickup height on yours ,or your amp or amp settings.
I find most nonchambered historics very very consistent in tone and great to my ears.

sunking420

Reaction score
The only chambered I've owned was a 2007 Gibson USA that was Peter Green modded by Larry Corso. He's got tons of YouTube vids with the 200+ guitars he modified. Different tone acoustically but amped up was awesome. His Manalishi Pickups are so so good. Think about a set as it will give you out of phase tone of Peter Green spot on and same out of phase tone B.B. King has on "Live at the Regal". In regular mode I used to get a smoking Duane Allman sound. Those pickups seem to be magic in chambered guitars and are relatively cheap. Only reason I got rid of that guitar was the neck was too thin for me, I'm a fat neck lover.. The lighter weight is a nice experience as well....

sunking420

Reaction score
Wow!!! I have been trying to decide what pickups to put in my "Fool" painted SG, replacing the stock '57 Gibsons and forgot about those Manalishi's. I could get Clapton, B.B., Peter Green and Duane Allman out of those with Clapton's Disraeli guitar.....Thanks for this thread, problem solved!!!!!!

srb531

Reaction score
i would do that trade anytime, you get the better deal out of this. plus cr's are great sounding gtrs.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
CR8's are awesome....I will get another one....thats for certain. :)

J Ritt

Reaction score
Simple...if your current R8 isn't working for you, move it along and try something that might. I don't think you have anything to lose in terms of value potential. You may have a slightly narrower buyer pool on the CR8, but there are plenty of people on this forum and others who like chambered LP's. Also, with their flamey tops, some people view the CR8 as a 'poor man's' R9 or CR9. In my experience, my CR8 and CR9 were almost damn near identical guitars. Either could have been stamped either way.

The fact that your shoulder won't ache is a bonus IMO!:cool:

Latest Threads