R8 neck fading

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
Hi all, quick question about my newly acquired R8. It's hard to see in the pics but the red on the back of the neck has faded quite a lot to more of a brown. Which is fine, but I'm curious to know why it only seems to have happened to the neck and not the back of the body or the headstock?
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG

ManicPete

Reaction score
Mine is the same. I thought it was because I have the guitar on a stand and it was the light hitting it through the window. But could also be many other factors. I’m sure it’s pretty common.

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
Mine is the same. I thought it was because I have the guitar on a stand and it was the light hitting it through the window. But could also be many other factors. I’m sure it’s pretty common.

Good to know mine isn't the only one. I did wonder if it was from being on a. stand but then it doesn't make sense that the headstock wouldn't fade, unless something was covering the body and heastock which doesn't sound likely!

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be from playing it.

I have a 2006 CS LP Special in red that is faded to brown on the top but nowhere else. It's been in it's case in the closet most of the time. I bought it used in 2011. At that time it was nice and red. I'm kind of bummed about it but what am I going to do?

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
It could be from playing it.

I have a 2006 CS LP Special in red that is faded to brown on the top but nowhere else. It's been in it's case in the closet most of the time. I bought it used in 2011. At that time it was nice and red. I'm kind of bummed about it but what am I going to do?
Interesting, strange how only the top was affected. I actually see it as a good thing. I just think that as guitars fade in different ways it adds character and makes them unique.

Dilver

Reaction score
My R8 neck and back have faded as well; perfectly normal. I think it’s UV light exposure. Guitar on a stand has the neck pointing up. Light coming from windows generally cast light downwards in a room. Body of the guitar on a stand is closer to the floor. Less light.

1allspub

Reaction score
Same happened to a 2018 R8 I used to own. I kept it in its case whenever I wasn’t playing it, so not an issue of light exposure. I didn’t mind it, it looked cool. But never had another before or since that did that.

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I must say, I do dig the fading, actually hoping the top will fade over time too but I believe these don't fade like the original bursts?

It's bourbon burst and whilst I do love the colour, it would be cool if it faded into a honey or even lemon burst some day.

BigJim

Reaction score
So cool, that's a nice browning...

My 07 SG CS is like that, brown on the front, red in the back. The neck is browning too, but red in places as well...

74JMP

Reaction score
This is from perspiration and body oils. The original Les Paul’s all faded the exact same way. Be happy, it’s a cool authentic feature.
Mine has faded on the neck and on the back where it makes the most contact with my body after 20 years. Figured it was that or the heat of the body or a combo.

Last edited:

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
So cool, that's a nice browning...

My 07 SG CS is like that, brown on the front, red in the back. The neck is browning too, but red in places as well...
Strange... my (actual, not reissue) '67 SG is still red front, back, and neck, no sign of fading and it's been played more than all of my LPs combined. It does go back in the case when it's not being played though (FOBH), always has, maybe that's why it hasn't faded.

Reaction score
Hi all, quick question about my newly acquired R8. It's hard to see in the pics but the red on the back of the neck has faded quite a lot to more of a brown. Which is fine, but I'm curious to know why it only seems to have happened to the neck and not the back of the body or the headstock?
View attachment 642772 View attachment 642773
I have a 2001 R8 and it looks identical.

marshall2553

Reaction score
Strange... my (actual, not reissue) '67 SG is still red front, back, and neck, no sign of fading and it's been played more than all of my LPs combined. It does go back in the case when it's not being played though (FOBH), always has, maybe that's why it hasn't faded.
Wouldn't a '67 have a more UV resistant dye like Gibson started using on LPs in '60?

Latest Threads