R8 marks on fretboard

Injector

Reaction score
Any idea what the lines are that run the entire length of each fret either side of them?

ARandall

Reaction score
Could well just be a reflection of the frets themselves due to flash

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Residue, it will polish down with playing. Might wipe off with a cloth or the next oil treatment, although people often overdue fingerboard oil.

I assume they leave it to preserve the integrity of the fingerboard.

ARandall

Reaction score
The marks are definitely there. I have seen the guitar in person.
Really, so the pic of the fretboard closer up (where the same marks are not appearing) is not the guitar in question then?

Injector

Reaction score
Really, so the pic of the fretboard closer up (where the same marks are not appearing) is not the guitar in question then?
Same guitar. You can see the marks in the second pic although they're afmittedly less obvious from that angle. I was trying to show the nibs in the second photo.

BDW60

Reaction score
Nothing to worry about but geez, on a custom shop guitar, how about some love and attention before it’s out the door. My USA 60s Standard had/has none of that crap on the board.

ARandall

Reaction score
Maybe some leftover from the fret gluing. I know the originals had a process where the board was lathered with fish glue then the excess wiped/scraped off inbetween the frets after installation.
If the same process has been done for vintage accuracy then its certainly possible for a bit of residue to sit at the interface. In fact if glue has been spread before fret pressing but only in the slot it can squeeze out into the fret space as well.

Latest Threads