R8 disaster!

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
Ouch thats gotta hurt. I'd be devastated if that happened to my newly acquired R8. As others have said its not as serious as it looks. I'd still be bummed though. I hope you can get it repaired to where its undetectable.
Thanks golfnut. It was painful at the time that's for sure! I'm hopeful of a good repair so I'm sure all will be good. Hope you're still enjoy your R8.

AJK1

Reaction score
Eh? If you're referring to the fact that I didn't notice the faded red until I saw it the next morning in natural light, it wasn't visible to the eye when I bought it (the evening before!). Like I said in the previous thread, it was dark outside and it was impossible to see under tungsten lighting. It didn't show up in the pics that the seller posted either.
It’s all good mate I was just pulling your leg
You might have to change your name to Mr Magoo

NINFNM

Reaction score
If you had the missed headstock piece I would just glue it and keep going, if not I would let it as it is.
Doesn't look bad and the injury was done against a pedal board, that's mostly a battle scar (the arm chair part not so much though :) )

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
If you had the missed headstock piece I would just glue it and keep going, if not I would let it as it is.
Doesn't look bad and the injury was done against a pedal board, that's mostly a battle scar (the arm chair part not so much though :) )
Yes luckily it splintered off in one piece so I have the missing chunk safe and sound. It should be a simple enough job to glue it but I don't trust myself doing it which is why it's going to my tech lol.

Yeah, it would have been cooler if it happened on stage in battle rather than the home studio. I just won't mention the armchair bit ;)

IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
I'd leave it, it's got character now! :D

My worst spill was with my old studio. I was using it in jazz band (I was in high school long long ago) and I thought I had connected the strap to the button near the toggle. I stood up to leave the room after rehearsal and wasn't supporting it with my hand. Headstock fell towards the floor clipping the edge of one of the chairs next to me before I could grab the neck. Popped all three trebble tuners off, dented the edge of the headstock. The G string tuner I had to hold the back on whenever I moved the tuner (before it was fixed). I was amazed it didn't snap the headstock.

My strat has been thru many bumps, but it is mostly unscathed, due to that polyurethane gloss, that cheap shit is impenetrable!

Ouch! Yep you're lucky too that the headstock didn't break!

I've had similar things happen with my strats numerous times and they've always been fine. Mine are nitro too so they look pretty worn but I love the way they have aged. Nothing major like a break or crack has ever happened though. Strats are tough that's for sure!

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Not good but I think that a good tech can make that almost invisible! Lucky it was a pretty clean break and you have the piece that broke off. It will be OK, Rock on Sir!

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
That’s an easy fix. If it happened to me I’d probably just glue it myself (I really hate waiting).
But this reminds me why I only keep my guitars in the cases. No stands for me even.
I hate waiting too, but I just don't trust myself doing it. My tech is busy (understandably) and can't look at it until next week now, so he said to drop it off with him next Monday and he might be able to get it done for Christmas. I was expecting it to be with him maybe 2 or 3 days, a week max. What goes into a repair like this? I'm not questioning my tech's ability here, or timescale, he does amazing work.

I really don't want to be without this guitar for a month. I play it every day and I'm recording a lot with it at the moment.

Last edited:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I hate waiting too, but I just don't trust myself doing it. My tech is busy and can't look at it until next week now, so he said to drop it off with him next Monday and he "might" be able to get it done for Christmas. What!? I was expecting it to be with him maybe 2 or 3 days, a week max. Does this not seem like a long time to do a minor repair like this, or am I missing something??

I really don't want to be without this guitar for a month. I play it every day.
Is he just going to glue it, or is he also going to touch up the paint so the damage disappears totally?

Just gluing would be quick. But before painting the glue has to completely dry so moisture doesn't get trapped under the new finish which can cause clouding or bubbles under the finish. (The glue dries in a day or so, but the moisture gets into the wood and then takes many days to work its way out.)

Then he'll most likely have to spray some black, let it dry for a few days, buff it, then spray clear, let it dry for a few days, buff it. It may take multiple coats of black and multiple coats of clear.

Nitro dries to the touch quickly. But it stays a little soft for weeks. Soft enough to gradually take impressions from case lining, soft enough that you can push a fingernail in it and leave an immediate impression. He won't want to give it back to you until there's zero risk of normal handling messing it up.

Patience is hard. But if you don't want to be reminded of the oopsie every time you look at your guitar, letting him do his thing will pay off.

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
Is he just going to glue it, or is he also going to touch up the paint so the damage disappears totally?

Just gluing would be quick. But before painting the glue has to completely dry so moisture doesn't get trapped under the new finish which can cause clouding or bubbles under the finish. (The glue dries in a day or so, but the moisture gets into the wood and then takes many days to work its way out.)

Then he'll most likely have to spray some black, let it dry for a few days, buff it, then spray clear, let it dry for a few days, buff it. It may take multiple coats of black and multiple coats of clear.

Nitro dries to the touch quickly. But it stays a little soft for weeks. Soft enough to gradually take impressions from case lining, soft enough that you can push a fingernail in it and leave an immediate impression. He won't want to give it back to you until there's zero risk of normal handling messing it up.

Patience is hard. But if you don't want to be reminded of the oopsie every time you look at your guitar, letting him do his thing will pay off.
Yes I'm pretty sure he will want to touch up the lacquer and make it look as good as possible. That all makes sense, I think I just need more patience!

jcsk8

Reaction score
Just elaborating more my previous advice. I have a nice MIJ Burny wich I´ve chiped the back of the headstock. Just a tiny amount, knocking it into my desk. Mahogany is fragile, but the piece had a perfect fit. After my deception I´ve just dropped some super glue drops and put it into the place. It´s being there for some years. Shit happens.
But I´m kinda player, not collector. So, to each their own.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is why I love aged guitars ....but that ....oh my...

I had a close call at sundays band practice, I tripped on a cord, with my LP strapped on and I thought I was going to face plant into the basement floor....I would have landed right on the guitar...Somehow I averted disaster.....no clue how....

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes luckily it splintered off in one piece so I have the missing chunk safe and sound. It should be a simple enough job to glue it but I don't trust myself doing it which is why it's going to my tech lol.

Yeah, it would have been cooler if it happened on stage in battle rather than the home studio. I just won't mention the armchair bit ;)

View attachment 651817 View attachment 651818
yep....some hide glue, clamps and a staple gun....some black finger nail polish and call the history of the guitar!

Latest Threads