R8 disaster!

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
I had a disaster with my recently acquired R8 so thought I would do a post to hopefully ease my pain. The guitar was on my arm chair in my office/studio. The strap must have been caught under the wheels of my swivel chair, as I pulled the chair forwards to get closer to my desk it pulled the guitar off the chair and I heard a big crash. Looked behind me and the headstock had hit my pedal board and good sized chunk had splintered off.

Obviously I was absolutely gutted, so annoyed at myself really for doing such a stupid thing! But, lesson learned and it now stays firmly on its stand all the time. Whilst I'm still feeling the pain of what happened I'm massively relieved that the headstock didn't break. Maybe I have the chunky 58 neck to thank for that.

Anyway, I have the piece that broke off and it's booked to go to my tech for a repair next week.......

IMG_4584.JPG

Misty Mountain Hop

Reaction score
That looks like a pretty “easy” fix. Just need a a replacement holly veneer. Possibly a new MOP logo if it gets damaged removing the venner and a silkscreen LP logo.

Definitely a fixable situation with a good luthier. I did a makeover on my 1991 LP Classic and replaced the plastic (or some mystery material) with a real holly veneer an vintage correct MOP.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
That sucks.
Hurts the worst when it is self-inflicted.

Overall, it’s not that bad.
As you said, at least it wasn’t a headstock break.

Here’s hoping the repair goes well.
You and the guitar have bonded through battle.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, Long time ago I saw a classic with the thin taper neck take a dive from a stand, face planted basically, not a mark on it. We were like, damn, never be that lucky again.

Leee

Reaction score
That happened to me 20 years ago.
Kid knocked it over.
Not a scratch.

A couple years ago that same guitar was in its case and took a leap of about 5 feet.
Busted one of the hinges for the lid.

Same outcome - no damage.

I’m not optimistic for a 3rd try.
Not pressing my luck.

framos

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Accidents do happen no matter how careful we are.

Luckily it was not too bad indeed, should be pretty much invisible after a proper repair.

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess sometimes we're lucky and other times we're not. But like I said, I'm thankful the headstock didn't break!

Even if he can get it close to invisible I'll be happy.

Leee

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, you don’t have to spend a truckload of money for a flawless repair.
As long as it’s solid.

I had a headstock repair in 2014.
I was quite happy with it, but it wasn’t invisible.

Later, a paint guy I know offered to “fix” it and make it undetectable.
Nah.
I’m fine with the repair and I feel no need to conceal it.

golfnut

Reaction score
Ouch thats gotta hurt. I'd be devastated if that happened to my newly acquired R8. As others have said its not as serious as it looks. I'd still be bummed though. I hope you can get it repaired to where its undetectable.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, you don’t have to spend a truckload of money for a flawless repair.
As long as it’s solid.

I had a headstock repair in 2014.
I was quite happy with it, but it wasn’t invisible.

Later, a paint guy I know offered to “fix” it and make it undetectable.
Nah.
I’m fine with the repair and I feel no need to conceal it.
I agree,.... my beloved ‘78 LP Custom suffered a gash on the neck binding from falling ride cymbal and it’s heavy duty stand... when it happened I thought it chopped the neck off... it didn’t but it made a hell of a dent. I just sanded over the sharp edges and went on with it.

A talented luthier offered to make it like new,... I turned him down. It’s a healthy reminder of how I should be careful where I leave my guitar and a battle scar from my long ago band days.

E4AE5166-6DC3-4F04-BC3C-7D3C81141905.jpeg

The OPs guitar needs a bit more attention though,... but very lucky it wasn’t worse.

Last edited:

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
I'm taking it to my local tech and I'm confident he won't charge me a huge amount. He's done all the set ups on my guitars and re-fretted one and has always done an amazing job, at a great price.

So yeah, while I could probably get a flawless repair where it is invisible done by a top luthier, I have every faith in him and I don't mind if it's not perfect. Collecting battle scars on guitars has never really bothered me, obviously the way it looks at the moment does though lol!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OUCH.

My 1990 Standard was leaning against a chair (My name is from that guitar, though it was supposed to be "cherrysunburst90" but I hit submit before catching my boo boo).

I stepped out for a moment. CRASH. I thought "hmm, maybe it was just at an angle, so I'll make sure to prop it straight this time" I step out to do what I was originally gonna (sic) do and CRASH. Seems to have a hairline Crack at the usual headstock site, but I don't think it's bad; could've been LOTS worse!!!

Dilver

Reaction score
If it broke off in one piece, your guy should be able to glue it back on, touch up with some black lacquer, sand, buff and polish. It’ll be okay!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I pay $8 month for a personal articles policy to help with this stuff after I had a similar incident. In my case the wall hanger broke off. That looks repairable so hopefully that’s all that happened.

Wes T

Reaction score
Back in the '70s, our lead player had his nearly new Goldtop break in the usual place from a front fall on a stand. He was a luthier, so he glued it up and later sold it. It came back into his shop last year--for its third neck repair. Still great player.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I'd leave it, it's got character now! :D

My worst spill was with my old studio. I was using it in jazz band (I was in high school long long ago) and I thought I had connected the strap to the button near the toggle. I stood up to leave the room after rehearsal and wasn't supporting it with my hand. Headstock fell towards the floor clipping the edge of one of the chairs next to me before I could grab the neck. Popped all three trebble tuners off, dented the edge of the headstock. The G string tuner I had to hold the back on whenever I moved the tuner (before it was fixed). I was amazed it didn't snap the headstock.

My strat has been thru many bumps, but it is mostly unscathed, due to that polyurethane gloss, that cheap shit is impenetrable!

AJK1

Reaction score
I had a disaster with my recently acquired R8 so thought I would do a post to hopefully ease my pain. The guitar was on my arm chair in my office/studio. The strap must have been caught under the wheels of my swivel chair, as I pulled the chair forwards to get closer to my desk it pulled the guitar off the chair and I heard a big crash. Looked behind me and the headstock had hit my pedal board and good sized chunk had splintered off.

Obviously I was absolutely gutted, so annoyed at myself really for doing such a stupid thing! But, lesson learned and it now stays firmly on its stand all the time. Whilst I'm still feeling the pain of what happened I'm massively relieved that the headstock didn't break. Maybe I have the chunky 58 neck to thank for that.

Anyway, I have the piece that broke off and it's booked to go to my tech for a repair next week.......

View attachment 651625
I’m surprised you noticed it lol

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
I’m surprised you noticed it lol
Eh? If you're referring to the fact that I didn't notice the faded red until I saw it the next morning in natural light, it wasn't visible to the eye when I bought it (the evening before!). Like I said in the previous thread, it was dark outside and it was impossible to see under tungsten lighting. It didn't show up in the pics that the seller posted either.

Latest Threads