R8 Differences.

Droog

Reaction score
After playing many Les Paul's lately at various stores and friends places, I think I've settled on what I want as my first Les Paul - an R8. I'm still not sure where I'll buy, but can the members who are a little more in the know tell me the differences between these 3 VOS R8's and also specifically are they all long neck tenon's, or just the one link that specifies it has a long neck tenon?

And any tips on where to buy are also appreciated, I've heard good things about Wildwood, Centre city, and Mattsmusic, but any added info/tips are appreciated. Although price is a factor, I don't mind paying a little more for a quality guitar instead of just going for the absolute rock bottom price.

1) Buy Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar online

2) Buy Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Standard Plain Top VOS Electric Guitar

3) Buy Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Reissue Plain Top VOS Electric Guitar

Thanks a bunch. :fingersx:

And yeah, I guess I should have posted this in Historics and reissues but I guess I'm pretty tired. Mods can move it if they like.

Lesterious Ways

Reaction score
After playing many Les Paul's lately at various stores and friends places, I think I've settled on what I want as my first Les Paul - an R8. I'm still not sure where I'll buy, but can the members who are a little more in the know tell me the differences between these 3 VOS R8's and also specifically are they all long neck tenon's, or just the one link that specifies it has a long neck tenon?

And any tips on where to buy are also appreciated, I've heard good things about Wildwood, Centre city, and Mattsmusic, but any added info/tips are appreciated. Although price is a factor, I don't mind paying a little more for a quality guitar instead of just going for the absolute rock bottom price.

1) Buy Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar online

2) Buy Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Standard Plain Top VOS Electric Guitar

3) Buy Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Reissue Plain Top VOS Electric Guitar

Thanks a bunch. :fingersx:

And yeah, I guess I should have posted this in Historics and reissues but I guess I'm pretty tired. Mods can move it if they like.
All three have the long neck tenon. The only differences are the finishes:

GTR 1: gloss finish over cherryburst

GTR 2: VOS finish over cherryburst

GTR 3: VOS finish over darkburst

You can do significantly better on price by calling Centre City.

Blues Power

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sorry cant help with the differences but I can vouch fro Centre City Music. Saul hooked me up big time wiyth my 02 Std. best prices I found and hes very knowledgable. He can pretty much get you any LP that you want.

in those days I paid $1750 including over nite fed ex and no tax where every one else was $2000 ++

PK51st

Reaction score
Here's a thought, buy the best axe from the local store that allowed you a test drive! Any decent store worth it's salt will come at least kinda close (or match) net pricing. You can feel good about supporting a local business, and these guitars are subtly different. I played a total of 4 58's at 2 stores, and I'm certain the one I got suits me best :) YMMV

PK

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

You don’t list your location, so I don’t know where you are.
If you are on the east coast, you could try Guitar Gallery, near
Pittsburgh, PA. An R8 is going to be a plain top, so the top is
going to be less important than the feel and tone. Vic always
has some of the best Gibson guitars available.

Droog

Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas. I'm actually in Sarnia, Canada, about an hours drive from Detroit. Forum member Nicole Rose also lives here.

:slash:

Droog

Reaction score
Here's a thought, buy the best axe from the local store that allowed you a test drive! Any decent store worth it's salt will come at least kinda close (or match) net pricing. You can feel good about supporting a local business, and these guitars are subtly different. I played a total of 4 58's at 2 stores, and I'm certain the one I got suits me best :) YMMV

PK
Normally I absolutely would do that, however to keep a long story short I went to major retailer and had to all but show my bank balance to get to try out some guitars. Midway through explaining what I do for a living I realised they lost any chance of a sale. Once they saw what I was driving a second employee began grabbing guitars for me. So, I just used the time to experiment with different necks and a few different models to see what called to me.

I'm not Warren Buffet by any means, but I can budget a guitar of a few thousand dollars into my financial portfolio.

Oh, and if any owners/managers of some stores are reading this, maybe stress to employees that they either let just about every customer try the display guitars, or no one tries the display guitars, but getting "salespeople" to try to play Columbo to guess someone's income might cost them a sale every so often.

Again thanks for all the tips/advice and keep them coming.

:shock:

Latest Threads