R8 and R9 comparison

fretnot

Reaction score
Weights are all over the board. I have 9+ pound R9's, under 9 lbs R8's, and under 8.5 lbs R7's. The most attractive vintage les paul I have ever seen (I have seen bursts from every era) in person was a 58 burst...it still haunts my dreams. :wow:

FirstTrain

Reaction score
Texas,

Thanks for the downlow on the r8 fret wire being the same. I played both an R8 and R9 a few weeks ago. Both had bigger necks than the studio I have now and the 74 deluxe paul I had back in college... both R's played and sounded amazing... I didn't notice much difference in playability fret/bending strings wise. I thought the R8 was actually more of a looker, but the R9 sounded maybe 1/2% better. The only tube amp they had was one of the new Epiphone things... it was decent, but I sure would have liked to see what it sounded like through my old Bandmaster or my brother's 5e3 deluxe (that he built). Anyway either one would have been my dream guit. Someday, I'll give my daughter or son my Studio and buy a resissue Paul... but I just can't justify it right now... since my 92 studio sounds damn good and I don't have 3k lying around like Ty in Caddy Shack. Great thread.

SkyPilot

Reaction score
From my memory of the '60's (fill in the jokes) many, if not most of those we call guitar legends were not much older than you ledzepzoso3...and broke! I do not believe they went to a guitar store and bought a guitar because it had more flame or bling factor. They were barely scraping by (hard to imagine with today's multi-million dollar tours by the same musicians!), and many times they were either given a guitar, traded guitars or bought basic models. It would not have been common, at least from my memory, for a working guitarist (not a collector) to go and buy the equivalent of an R9, if he could have a better tone and less cost with the equivalent of an R8.
If you want a guitar that is very close to Jimmy's, I would go for the R8 and be very happy with your purchase. BTW, you need not spend $3,600 on an R8. Keep your eye out for a good used one and smile all the way to the bank!

ledzepzoso3

Reaction score
From my memory of the '60's (fill in the jokes) many, if not most of those we call guitar legends were not much older than you ledzepzoso3...and broke! I do not believe they went to a guitar store and bought a guitar because it had more flame or bling factor. They were barely scraping by (hard to imagine with today's multi-million dollar tours by the same musicians!), and many times they were either given a guitar, traded guitars or bought basic models. It would not have been common, at least from my memory, for a working guitarist (not a collector) to go and buy the equivalent of an R9, if he could have a better tone and less cost with the equivalent of an R8.
If you want a guitar that is very close to Jimmy's, I would go for the R8 and be very happy with your purchase. BTW, you need not spend $3,600 on an R8. Keep your eye out for a good used one and smile all the way to the bank!

Hahah thanks alot man!! I dont know, I dont really want a used guitar, its just a personal thing, I dont know how to explain it, I hope my local music store can get me some kind of deal, and they do seem to have lower prices than elsewhere. thanks again!!

Latest Threads