R8 and R9 comparison

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Hey Pooker, funny...I have that picture saved, too. :)

But really, what does that tell me...
If my entire guitar weighs 8 lbs 3 oz, do the neck, headstock, hardware and electronics collectively weigh 3 oz (or slightly more)? No, obviously.

Munoz

Reaction score
So I guess that means one could be getting a 7.9 lb R9 and a 8.1 R8, which is hardly a noticeable change in weight, right? I guess it always comes down to how they play

stinger

Reaction score
So I guess that means one could be getting a 7.9 lb R9 and a 8.1 R8, which is hardly a noticeable change in weight, right? I guess it always comes down to how they play

Those weights are for the mohagany blanks before they are processed. After all is done to them they are gonna weigh around 9 lbs. give or take. If you find a lighter than 9 lbs R9, you got a light one. But yes, an R8 could be as light as an R9. My R8 and R9 both weigh 9 lbs.

Other factors are involved as well. A neck made of mohagany can be heavy or light as well and you could get a heavy neck with a lighter body.

ledzepzoso3

Reaction score
woooooow ok thanks soooo much everyone!!! Well, I think I'm going to stick with the R8, since i saw many of you say that the neck is fatter, which i like, and also Boles said he prefers his r8 to his r9, and also considering the price of a new R9. Thank you everyone so much!

Droog

Reaction score
If you really feel you want an R8 that's flamed, there are many options. Used r8's can be found flamed ( before '03 was it? ) You can buy a chambered R8 that will be flamed. You can buy a 50th anniversary R8 - $$$ but flamed. You can also grab one of the rejects from the 50th anniversary R8. Wildwood had a nice one.

Personally, I'm a plaintop dude myself

:thumb:

ledzepzoso3

Reaction score
If you really feel you want an R8 that's flamed. There are many options. Used r8's can be found flamed ( before '03 was it? ) You can buy a chambered R8 that will be flamed. You can buy a 50th anniversary R8 - $$$ but flamed. You can also grab one of the rejects from the 50th anniversary R8. Wildwood had a nice one.

:thumb:

Haha thanks man, I dont think i prefer one top more than the other,I mean i havent even gotten my first Gibby yet loll ,I really like plaintops and flametops, so I really dont mind at all if I can only get the R8 in Plaintop, surely I will invest into more Gibsons in the future, definately will have a Flametop. Thanks for the extra help!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
With all this talk of 58s and '59s, I'm surprised nobody's thrown in any pictures. :hmm:

stinger

Reaction score

Texas07R8

Reaction score
I weighed the R8 and an R9 at GC and they were exactly 9.3lbs each.

ledzepzoso3

Reaction score
Not very accurate. Try this link to a recent thread here. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historic-reissues/18276-jimmy-pages-1-a.html

Towards the end of the thread you get some helpful info. You can also search for more Jimmy Page threads. He gets talk about alot around here and there are some very knowledgable guys here.

Haha , Ive actually read that thread before, but anyways, the point is that the R8 sounds very much like Jimmy Page played through the right amp, and for me that right amp was the Vox AC15CC1X. Those 2 made a Killer Combo. Also, can I have some other amplifier suggestions please? I want That Jimmy Page sound that you can get through the Vox AC15CC1X but I'd like to know if there is an amp thats more versitile, say perhaps an amp with several channels, like crunch , etc,:hmm: but also in the same price range as the AC15CC1X. Heres the link for the Vox Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1X 15w 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Alnico Blues and more Guitar Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.
I am open for suggestions!
And rememeber, i want that Jimmy Page oldschool sound!!
Thanks so much all of you!:slash::thumb:

Lemonhead

Reaction score
Hey Pooker, funny...I have that picture saved, too. :)

But really, what does that tell me...
If my entire guitar weighs 8 lbs 3 oz, do the neck, headstock, hardware and electronics collectively weigh 3 oz (or slightly more)? No, obviously.

Those weights are for the body blanks before they are cut.

Olli

Reaction score
My R8 is lighter than my R9 - the R9 has a slimmer neck though.
When I picked it up they had many reissue guitars and I took many down from the wall. There were R9s with bigger necks than R8s - I guess the difference between the two just depends on the individual instrument.
So you just have to try various guitars and take the one you feel is the nicest.

fiddlefadel

Reaction score
You can also grab one of the rejects from the 50th anniversary R8. Wildwood had a nice one.

:thumb:[/QUOTE]

REJECTS???: :rolleyes: Pretty nice looking reject!

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
Fiddle thats not what he ment. They didnt need them.

People chuck hissy fits over the smallest things :p

Droog

Reaction score
Fiddle thats not what he ment. They didnt need them.

People chuck hissy fits over the smallest things :p

Never has one of my statements been taken so far out of context. I feel like a politician. :naughty:

Latest Threads