R8 2017 fretboard Quality issue

rialcnis

Reaction score
This is terrible. Full exchange would be totally appropriate, but Gibson has to explain how this could be.

BadMojo

Reaction score
I didn’t read every reply in the thread. But here goes... I would sand it with 600, 800,1000 grit then take it to a buffing wheel. Follow that up with some oil.. boom, that baby will be better than new. I do that to all my RW necks just to smooth out the rough grain holes.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
It wasn’t a new guitar.
The OP (who hasn't posted in this tread in over a month, BTW) said twice in this thread that it was purchased new (see 1st and 3rd posts).

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
The OP (who hasn't posted in this tread in over a month, BTW) said twice in this thread that it was purchased new (see 1st and 3rd posts).
Yayyyy. Thanks. I was telling that Poster it wasn’t a new guitar because it isn’t.

It doesn’t look new in the pictures, the fret wire looks used. I think the seller got suckered and lied to or we were by the OP.

Would love to see the guitar which I had asked for more pictures. It may be at the end of the day a phony Gibson trashing post to stir the proverbial pot as it were.

It wouldn’t be the first time.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Yayyyy. Thanks. I was telling that Poster it wasn’t a new guitar because it isn’t.

It doesn’t look new in the pictures, the fret wire looks used. I think the seller got suckered and lied to or we were by the OP.

Would love to see the guitar which I had asked for more pictures. It may be at the end of the day a phony Gibson trashing post to stir the proverbial pot as it were.

It wouldn’t be the first time.
I suspect you may be right (about the phony Gibson trashing post)... which is why I pointed out that the OP hasn't posted for so long.

And the fret wire does look suspect for a new guitar. But considering it’s a 2017 model that was sold at a pretty good discount (if the story is true) it may well have been a floor model that saw significant demo play.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I suspect you may be right (about the phony Gibson trashing post)... which is why I pointed out that the OP hasn't posted for so long.

And the fret wire does look suspect for a new guitar. But considering it’s a 2017 model that was sold at a pretty good discount (if the story is true) it may well have been a floor model that saw significant demo play.
I just wanted to see the rest of the guitar so I could eat crow. There's still time! They may show up and post something at some point.

Doc Holliday

Reaction score
Hello,

I read this forum for a while but I have never posted, and sorry for my english too :).

I purshased a r8 online (2017) , (good price: 2900 euros new) and i'm in the return policy windows.
Guitar is awesome, 8lbs 6oz, good feeling ,gound sound, very nice neck size but:
- There is like chips or small wood tear :

is it bad and dangerous in long terme or acceptable ?

Thanks in advance because it i return the guitar there is none at all at this price :)
That would be unexceptable to me if it were an Epi much less an R8 send it back.

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't read all the threads, but I did look at the hi-res pictures. Am I the only one who thinks that looks like normal variation in the pores and grain? I can't say I've seen worse, but I have seen actual grooves and tool marks before. I had a Hummingbird with a big chip taken out of the fretboard by a chisel around the 17th fret. Those pictures look like super porous rosewood to me. Maybe my eyesight is going though, so who knows.

ASG

Reaction score
Rosewood can be like that. Also I bet when he says bought new it was a shop demo guitar from 2017 and sold cheaply for a first owner guitar. Easily fixed if you want to be cosmetically perfect get some rosewood dust and super glue then sand back it will be invisible. Peronally I would just oil it wipe it down and play it! :p

DanD

Reaction score
I've yet to find a guitar shop with a Historic demo.

Maybe CME?

No matter, I see nothing off putting about that board. Fretboard conditioner + some play time and it would go unnoticed.

Most Gibsons I've bought new still have buffing compound in the pores. They've all taken a few weeks of playing to look good.

Frank's quote is appropriate here, "Shut up and play yer guitar".

:cheers2:

Giblespaul2001

Reaction score
That wouldn’t bother me one bit. I would go rock the guitar! If you like the guitar and the price, bitch a little and see if you can get a little refund