R8 2017 fretboard Quality issue

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The two most important elements of a electric guitar,...... The electronics and it's playability.

Electronics can be a rather easy fix......

The frets and fretboard will require some professional work.

The frets may seem fine,... but with the pics you have shown,... the fret board issue seems to go right under them.

Unless i bought this used for really cheap,.... i would send it back.

This is just my opinion and it's formed around your pics,.... i might have a different opinion if it was in my hands.;)

Mockbel

Reaction score
He paid 2900€ for this guitar (~3250$), which isn't really a super discounted price, if you ask me....and for sure not a price range where I'd be fine with a fretboard like that. :)

Plenty of people would return a 200$ guitar with a fretboard like that, but I'm known to be a picky pain when it comes to fretboard wood (which for me it's the most important part on a guitar). :)
Even in Egypt where instruments are way overpriced, this price for an R8 is really high !

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Even in Egypt where instruments are way overpriced, this price for an R8 is really high !
OP bought it new, not used, so $3250 seems like a pretty decent "new" price. Not crazy good considering it was an unsold 2017 model (which is no doubt why it was discounted so steeply), but certainly not "really high".

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Being a 2017 that could be a tough haul though, no?
As usual i read too fast ...

I thought it was still new....

But if he bought as new with a warranty the year shouldn’t matter....

Was it new or used?

c3b

Reaction score
thank you for your answers, yes its a new online dealer instrument. In online shop from france the best after that is 3300 euros (3700 $) for a R8. this model (burstdriver) was at the same price as a R9 in the gibson catalogue. Without dicount a R8 new in france costs on average 4000 to 4500 euros (4500 to 5000 $).
I think again but thanks because your answers help me to think :).

lpfan1980

Reaction score
The first pick isn't bad but the other two are for sure out of the norm. Though call on your part due to the price point. Is the guitar new? If it is, maybe see if Gibson will work with you?
Ive also heard and seen that recent Gibson fretboards are kind of dry wonder why.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
To chime in on the fretboard dryness.. the 2019 SG I have suffered from it.. I was initially disappointed because I thought it was just a light cut of rosewood.. after some dunlop lemon oil.. the darkness I was hoping for showed up perfectly.. the cloth I used to rub the oil in was dirty.. every new Gibson I’ve bought needed attention with some oil. It’s like a dust from the buffing compound I’m guessing? I don’t mind one bit to do that upon replacing the strings for the replacing the strings for the first time.. others would return such an item.. but different strokes I guess

here’s a photo of before and after.. months later it’s still dark for the most part..

903455F4-358F-4873-9BD5-FDE06D84BDB5.jpeg

captdan61

Reaction score
Fretboards …..Gibson should not have let this through its doors....If they did "Factory Seconds" like they did years ago....this wouldn't be a waste. If you send it back to Gibson it will get chopped up and thrown away.....

So if you can't live with it ....you have executed your guitar.....but on the other hand....they might build you a new one....

they built me a new one for a crooked tuner screw hole....so figure that one out....
I had a 2014 that was absolutely glorious and it developed a little twist in the neck just a little while and then a cup around the 15 front I figured that worst case scenario the dent the fretboard off it and then sand it down and worst case scenario sand down the neck replace the front board and send it back or whatever the issue was but that's where it was and it wasn't huge and I'm sure they just simply got rid of my guitar I would have happily spent $1,000 to have it fixed and gotten my same guitar back the one they sent me is lighter plays better and is very pretty in a different way but it's not the guitar that I personally picked out of a room full of guitars.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a 2014 that was absolutely glorious and it developed a little twist in the neck just a little while and then a cup around the 15 front I figured that worst case scenario the dent the fretboard off it and then sand it down and worst case scenario sand down the neck replace the front board and send it back or whatever the issue was but that's where it was and it wasn't huge and I'm sure they just simply got rid of my guitar I would have happily spent $1,000 to have it fixed and gotten my same guitar back the one they sent me is lighter plays better and is very pretty in a different way but it's not the guitar that I personally picked out of a room full of guitars.
Yea .... that was a fight I couldn’t win,,, I really liked that guitar... the top was nice and the colors were nice,, but I didn’t keep any pics of it, cuz looking at it pissed me off...

tinman1

Reaction score
Bought new but how long have you owned it? I guess they could argue this was something you could have picked up on earlier as it’s not technically a warranty issue (ie nothing’s suddenly gone wrong like the fretboard or binding lifting).

Gibson do seem to struggle to produce nice looking bits of rosewood these days, particularly in the USA lines. Even if the lighter colour can be accepted (or improved with oil) the texture and grain of the rosewood isn’t a match for what Fender, Ibanez and others are still producing. Gibson seem to have a warehouse full of rosewood like turd stained cardboard.

blueguitar69

Reaction score
Do you have a Gibson authorized repair shop nearby? I think a good luthier can pull those frets, plane or fill/plane the fretboard, and refret. Here in california that would be a 400-500 dollar job. Maybe Gibson would authorize such a repair and it would cost you nothing. If you love the feel of the neck and the tone look into that option.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
it's not too bad but it is certainly far from good ... if possible, I personally would 100% return it

andreww

Reaction score
To me it just looks like open grain rather than chipping out. Hard to tell from photos. Can you feel those marks? Does it affect the playability? If not I'd oil it and play it. I never look for perfection in something that is constructed of a natural substance. If I did, I certainly wouldn't buy a guitar online.

bluesky636

Reaction score
If it doesn't affect playability, I don't see the big deal. Give the fret board a good oiling, let t soak in for a while, then buff it. See if it makes a difference.

tonemonster58

Reaction score
Guitars from the golden period were not flawless either. It speaks to the character of handmade and humanity in assembly. It will not effect your playing in your lifetime and will become a permanent quirk that will make that guitar unique and always identifiable. Viva Le differance..

Luke Duke

Reaction score
Just as a side-note regarding inlays....

I know Gibson Montana inlays are done in house. Is it possible that’s where it’s done then they are shipped to Nashville? It would explain humidity differences as well.