R8 2017 fretboard Quality issue

c3b

Reaction score
Hello,

I read this forum for a while but I have never posted, and sorry for my english too :).

I purshased a r8 online (2017) , (good price: 2900 euros new) and i'm in the return policy windows.
Guitar is awesome, 8lbs 6oz, good feeling ,gound sound, very nice neck size but:
- There is like chips or small wood tear :

is it bad and dangerous in long terme or acceptable ?

Thanks in advance because it i return the guitar there is none at all at this price :)

Attachments

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is not dangerous in any way, but it's not acceptable for a Custom Shop instrument, in its price range.

There'll be people suggesting to use sandpaper to smooth it down, but I would return it, since a fretboard should be sanded and prepped properly, prior the fret install.

Unless it's the best guitar in the world in terms of sound and feeling, I would return it.

And btw, welcome! :welcome:

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fretboards …..Gibson should not have let this through its doors....If they did "Factory Seconds" like they did years ago....this wouldn't be a waste. If you send it back to Gibson it will get chopped up and thrown away.....

So if you can't live with it ....you have executed your guitar.....but on the other hand....they might build you a new one....

they built me a new one for a crooked tuner screw hole....so figure that one out....

StubbyJ

Reaction score
The first pick isn't bad but the other two are for sure out of the norm. Though call on your part due to the price point. Is the guitar new? If it is, maybe see if Gibson will work with you?

c3b

Reaction score
yes guitar is new in fact its a burstdriver model but for me its just a R8 with a analog screamer (its an other QC problem and because i think remove it if i keep the guitar its not serious but.., manual say effect to off there is 2 tone like a normal les paul but effect on or off there is always one tone for 2 mic.. Gibson lol, bad connection :) ).

In the return windows policy can i call gibson directly in place of online music dealer ?

I think i can leave with that but in the other hand i'm annoyed by Gibson :) , so i'm a little lost :x

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Acceptable? Not really, no... and you have every right to be disappointed. That said... acceptable or not, it's actually far from uncommon (unfortunately). Let's just be brutally honest here... Gibson (both USA and the CS) have struggled mightily with their rosewood for several years now. Whether the quality of the rosewood itself or the quality of the finishing work done on it... both have suffered lately.

I don't know why, but over the past 4 or so years as I've frequented many different local guitar stores and looked at guitars online with hi-res pics, it's just undeniable that Gibson's rosewood finishing isn't up to par... not saying you can't get a good one, or that even the majority are bad, but waaaay too many of them have issues. So return it if you like, but the next one you get might be just as bad or worse... just sayin'....

I bought a used R8 off Reverb that had an appalling finishing job on its rosewood, but I got a good deal and it's just a helluva great sounding and playing guitar... so, as PierM said, I just fixed it myself. You'd never know now... problem solved. I'm not happy the rosewood finishing on it sucked... but I'd be much more unhappy had I gotten rid of the guitar because it's an absolute Mjolnir of a guitar! :)

In the end you gotta do what feels right "to you"... and not what we all say because frankly, you won't get a consensus here... there will be people on both sides (ie, return it vs live with it/fix it).

Good luck and welcome to MLP.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will need to go through the dealer...

And it depends on what you want and what the circumstances are/were when you bought it. You said you got it cheap. Maybe the dealer had this problem already? and wanted to move it? But wouldn’t he have told you?

In my case The dealer was very attentive to my needs and contacted Gibson... first they offered me a cleaning kit with polishing wax and a cloth.

I said no way ... I want a refund. Today.

And that turned a few gears. Through the dealer Gibson offered me a new guitar. But I had to take whatever they sent me in that price range. I said no.,i want a specific color and top...it was the only reason i picked that guitar, the next thing I knew
I got an email from Kevin at Gibson with top choices and a build time of six weeks. Choose your top out of these three and send back the damaged one. When the dealer confirms delivery. They will begin the build.

They sent me a picture of the painted color, gave me 24 hours to approve the work, and finished the guitar,

So go to your dealer and tell then you want a refund.

DanD

Reaction score
After a couple years of play wear you won't even notice.

Gibson outsources the fretboard shaping and inlay work to an outside vendor.

I'm guessing the outsourcing was in response to the 2011 raid as the outsourcing happened after that fiasco.

Personally that wouldn't cause me to seek a return if I liked the guitar.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
After a couple years of play wear you won't even notice.

I'm guessing the outsourcing was in response to the 2011 raid as the outsourcing happened after that fiasco.

Personally that wouldn't cause me to seek a return if I liked the guitar.
I did not know that they outsourced fretboard shaping and inlay work... thanks for sharing that. And that would explain it... and fits time-wise with what I've noticed the last few years. They need to lean on that vendor and get them to deliver better work.

But I'm with you... I wouldn't return a guitar I genuinely liked over this. If I was even remotely on the fence about the guitar in general though, this would be the deal breaker probably.

joff

Reaction score
I would not go through the hassle of having it sent back for repair at the Custom Shop...been there, done that...takes weeks to get it back, if not months...and it will probably come back with a few bumps and bruises that it didn't have before.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Uh that's interesting. I remember reading that fretboard arrives at the factory as blanks, roughly shaped as fretboard, didn't know they are already radiused, sanded and with inlays in place.

Any source for that?

DanD

Reaction score
The Edwin video is where I first heard it. He speaks to the boards arriving with inlays already installed from the supplier.

The other forum had a discussion about it and the timeline.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Depending on how heavily discounted the guitars was it might not bother me. You can try to get a further discount for the defect I suppose. It's really what you think the value is with said defect. sounds like you like the guitar but are just concerned. I think you may not notice it after years of wear.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Depending on how heavily discounted the guitars was it might not bother me. You can try to get a further discount for the defect I suppose. It's really what you think the value is with said defect. sounds like you like the guitar but are just concerned. I think you may not notice it after years of wear.
He paid 2900€ for this guitar (~3250$), which isn't really a super discounted price, if you ask me....and for sure not a price range where I'd be fine with a fretboard like that. :)

Plenty of people would return a 200$ guitar with a fretboard like that, but I'm known to be a picky pain when it comes to fretboard wood (which for me it's the most important part on a guitar). :)

musicmaniac

Reaction score
He paid 2900€ for this guitar (~3250$), which isn't really a super discounted price, if you ask me....and for sure not a price range where I'd be fine with a fretboard like that. :)

Plenty of people would return a 200$ guitar with a fretboard like that, but I'm known to be a picky pain when it comes to fretboard wood (which for me it's the most important part on a guitar). :)
I have no idea what constitutes a good deal where he is located. He said it was a good price and he can't find any in that price range. If I was looking at it in the U.S. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much. I'm picky too but sometimes price can sway me one way or another. :D

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will need to go through the dealer...

And it depends on what you want and what the circumstances are/were when you bought it. You said you got it cheap. Maybe the dealer had this problem already? and wanted to move it? But wouldn’t he have told you?

In my case The dealer was very attentive to my needs and contacted Gibson... first they offered me a cleaning kit with polishing wax and a cloth.

I said no way ... I want a refund. Today.

And that turned a few gears. Through the dealer Gibson offered me a new guitar. But I had to take whatever they sent me in that price range. I said no.,i want a specific color and top...it was the only reason i picked that guitar, the next thing I knew
I got an email from Kevin at Gibson with top choices and a build time of six weeks. Choose your top out of these three and send back the damaged one. When the dealer confirms delivery. They will begin the build.

They sent me a picture of the painted color, gave me 24 hours to approve the work, and finished the guitar,

So go to your dealer and tell then you want a refund.
Being a 2017 that could be a tough haul though, no?

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I’ve thought about this some more (& looked at the pics really closely) and while I stand behind my previous post above... were that a new guitar I just ordered... I’d return it. I try to remain “flexible” with expectations of perfection from Gibson ;) ... but I think that is beyond my ability to “get over”.

Good luck in whatever you decide OP.