R7 or R8; VOS or gloss; solid or chambered? Help?

Stack Volt

Reaction score
I week ago I put the word out that I was thinking of upgrading from my LP Studio to an R8. Most said it was worth the cash to go for it. So, now I'm wondering about all the options and I've thought about '57 reissues too. Goldtop or plaintop and VOS or regular? Solid or chambered? I'm thinking that either a R7 or R8 VOS would be fine if it was good acoustically and if I could find one at around 8.5 lbs. Are the goldtops and plaintops the same guitar except for the finish? Opinions on VOS? Thanks for any help.

LPV

Reaction score
Read and research. I spent 4 months getting informed before I spent a dime. Most of you questions can only be answered by your personal preference. They are all different.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Are the goldtops and plaintops the same guitar except for the finish?
Yep, however the R7 neck might be even beefier is what I've been told, but then again every necks a lil different anyway

Opinions on VOS?
I like it. You start wiping down your axe, it comes off eventually. And I wouldn't pay extra for gloss

River

Reaction score

tnvol

Reaction score
Read that. :)

But, as stated, they're all different. If you can play 'em first, the decision should be easy. If you can't, well, my R8 has the largest neck/roundest shoulders of any LP I've seen measured to date.

+1. My R8 neck is gigantic. Very comfy though. The neck on my R7 is also really big.

Gaetano

Reaction score
If you want a resonant light guitar you can try a chambered r8. People say They're really great sounding. I dont know who did, but a fellow member that has owned a burst has said that it sounds more like it than other solid body reissues.

you cant find a chambered r7.

Hellboy

Reaction score
I was playing 3 R8. Any of them felt and sounded different.
I was very sceptical of the VOS look, too. But now I must say without a reason. I dont want to polish it to highloss any more.
Then I mostly prefer things as "traditional" as possible, means unchambered for example. The weight doesnt bother me (9.7 lbs) at all.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
Depending on what you are looking for -- they can be hard to find. I've been keeping an eye out for a tobacco or faded tobacco R8 in gloss at a decent price. (Sometimes called a historic or non-vos) The trouble is that about 99% of the ones that I see for sale are VOS.

4To6

Reaction score
I found it difficult to find "the right one" although my choice was limited to 9 guitars that were available locally. I wanted to stick with humbuckers and I prefer the bigger 57/58 necks. In the end I did find a real nice 2008 R8 VOS FTSB. It was a good place to start, and with RS pots, caps and Manlius Landmark PAF's it's come together the way I'd hoped. I preferd the weight and feel of the unchambered guitars, mine is 9.2lbs. and the VOS finish didn't bother me although the Gloss finishes looked a great deal better. I think the deciding factor was that it had a fuller sound acoustically then the others. My 2 cents is stick with your initial preferences and keep searching...the reissues I tried do indeed vary noticably...it's out there waiting on you man, good luck.

VDeuce

Reaction score
Gloss is rare and over $300 upcharge. VOS can be polished to be nearly as shiny as gloss, so I recommend VOS and saving some cash!

jdzialak

Reaction score
My 04 R7 weighs about 8.5 lbs and has a huge neck.
Biggest I've ever owned. It feels great though.

Latest Threads