R7 Gold Top Refin... Perry Burst

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
This is a members R7 that's going through a refin. The original finish was gold top and the member suspected a nice flame maple cap underneath the gold... and he was right!

I really love the look of the burst on this guitar... similar to Fender's 3 color sunburst. This one has proven to be a little tricky to photograph too and I think it has something to do with the way the camera captures the flame and the red in the top.

The guitar is going to spend a month or so in it's case and then it's off to the freezer for some checking. No other aging on this one, similar to the R8 burst I just finished in another thread.

full

full

full

full

full

This is a crappy picture
full

After the red, I started in with a mix of tobacco brown and a little red mahogany.

full

A stinger, of course

full

full

Another crappy picture

full

This one's a little better

full

Had my boys help me and I got a much better pic. This is about where she's at right now. I'll do the level sanding in a few weeks.
full

I love the transition of color on this burst!

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, really nice. Is that a 2013 (or a 2003 with BRW :shock:)

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn,thats coming along real nice!! :applause:

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
Now's about the time to give the freezer a shot. It might be a little early, but I'll give it a shot.

Here's a few pics of it all put back together (mostly).

full

full

I really like how the flame shows through the burgundy.
full

full

full

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
Just took this bad boy out of the freezer and I'm finally getting the checking to go across the entire body. I started to hear that glorious cracking sound a few seconds after it came out.

It's still frosty in these pics.

full

full

full

full

full

icecoolpool

Reaction score
Wow, that top is wonderful. And to think it was hidden under gold paint!

I look forward to seeing further updates of this nice guitar, I think you've done a terrific job so far. Just one question: are you going to add a nickel cover to the bridge pup to match Joe's original?

joeperryburst.jpg

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
Wow, that top is wonderful. And to think it was hidden under gold paint!

I look forward to seeing further updates of this nice guitar, I think you've done a terrific job so far. Just one question: are you going to add a nickel cover to the bridge pup to match Joe's original?

joeperryburst.jpg

No cover, it's not going to be a true "Perry burst" as far as the aging process, just the burst color.

PierM

Reaction score
Not sure how good it is to put the entire body + pups and electronics in the freezer. That is lot of condensation setting up inside pickups, pots, switch contacts etc. I've seen doing that process lot of times, but always a naked body.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I am colour blind but to me that looks same as a tobacco nurst. Can't believe they covered such nice wood as a goldtop.

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
Finished this baby up last week and shipped it back. I like the way out turned out. I did some subtle wear in addition to light checking.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Latest Threads