R7 Braz serial number

Chris4189

Reaction score
I found an almost mint 2003 R7 gold top at a very attractive price considering who crazy the market currently is. Serial number is 7 3771 would this one have a Brazilian board?

Tim Plains

Reaction score

Chris4189

Reaction score
I’m going to buy the R7 or an ‘18 CR8. Both feel into my lap and I’m torn. I’ve have an R8 and R9 currently and always wanted to add an R7 but it seems like the chambered reissues get a lot of praise from folks to include those that own original bursts.

guitardon

Reaction score
I’m going to buy the R7 or an ‘18 CR8. Both feel into my lap and I’m torn. I’ve have an R8 and R9 currently and always wanted to add an R7 but it seems like the chambered reissues get a lot of praise from folks to include those that own original bursts.
Go with R7 to complete set.

bentfinger

Reaction score
Good Price and Good Guitar = HEAVEN.
Go for it and save the Brazilian rain forest into the bargain

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I have both a 2003 Brazilian R7 and a 2008 CR8 and I would say it’s a toss up. They’re both great guitars, they just feel and sound very different. The R7 has a BIG neck. Most of the CR8s actually have 59-spec necks, NOT 58-spec, meaning they have the bigger frets and the neck is slightly slimmer. It’s still a beefy neck but a bit more comfortable (for me) than the R7. That’s the way a lot (if not most) of the CR8s were ordered. CME regularly does the same thing with their 58s... they are 58-spec except for the neck, which have Carmelita carves. The CR8 has a bit brighter tone, with plenty of crunch, but some “air” in the notes. That’s the best way to describe it, it sounds thick but the sound has an openness to it, whereas my R7 sounds chunky, big, and full (maybe a bit darker). It’s a beast and easily one of my best-sounding guitars, the pickups are great. That’s the guitar I use to record with usually. But the CR8 is the one I grab to gig with or just to noodle on the couch with because it’s SO comfortable and cuts through the mix better. My R7 is pretty heavy, over 9.5 pounds, while my CR8 is under 8. They are both extremely well-made and you can’t go wrong with either. I hate to say it but it’s one of those decisions better made if you can actually feel them beforehand. Every guitar is different, but that’s my personal experience and I hope it’s helpful.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
Ah, 2003. The year I went off the deep end buying, selling and trading guitars. I'll probably never have a year like that again.

Feb '03, called Mark's Guitar Loft on a Friday, asking about a Goldtop. He had just put one on his site. I went up, checked it out and put it on hold. The next day, I went up after work (on a Saturday no less) and bought it. The s/n was 7-3028, it was probably the first Brazilian board to land there and first of many I went through. I was in full gear slutting mode then.

I checked my journal but I have no specs on it. Big huge neck on it and it was a cannon of a guitar. Surprisingly loud unplugged. If I were a smarter man, I should have stopped there. But then I wouldn't have had all the others that passed through my hands to reminisce about. I wonder where it is now?

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd go with the CR. With two solid body humbucker LP Standards already, you're really just collecting colors/backup guitars by adding a third and I think you run a greater risk of one of them being not so much different as just a better/worse version of same. By adding a CR, something with P-90s, or a wrap-tail, etc. you'll have a better chance of actually landing different flavors you equally like.

All that having been said, if the R7 is cheap enough to turn a profit reselling, might as well nab it and sell it or one of the others if you find you've gotten to a point you're ignoring one. Still entirely possible it's a sweeter guitar than the ones you have.

Chris4189

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

After much research I ended up grabbing the 2018 CR8. My thought process was the same as Kakerlak’s. Man, I'm glad I did! I pulled the stock harness out and replaced it with a quad of centralabs and a pair of original .022 Vitamin Q’s, replaced the steel thumbwheels with a set of brass ones and put a set of Tone Specific 1959 Blues pickups in it and it sounds much closer to my buddies ‘60 burst vs my R8 and R9 which are set up the same only with different maker PAFs.

Attachments

kakerlak

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

After much research I ended up grabbing the 2018 CR8. My thought process was the same as Kakerlak’s. Man, I'm glad I did! I pulled the stock harness out and replaced it with a quad of centralabs and a pair of original .022 Vitamin Q’s, replaced the steel thumbwheels with a set of brass ones and put a set of Tone Specific 1959 Blues pickups in it and it sounds much closer to my buddies ‘60 burst vs my R8 and R9 which are set up the same only with different maker PAFs.
I have heard a lot of folks say the chambered reissues sound more consistently/reliably like good bursts than the solid body reissues. And that they don't really have a hollow body voice, which makes sense in that there are no sound holes and the bridge is still mounted in a heavy, thick, solid slab of maple. Glad you landed a winner!

Chris4189

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of folks say the chambered reissues sound more consistently/reliably like good bursts than the solid body reissues. And that they don't really have a hollow body voice, which makes sense in that there are no sound holes and the bridge is still mounted in a heavy, thick, solid slab of maple. Glad you landed a winner!
I had read where some people claimed they sounded like a cross between a hollow body and LP but I don't hear that at all even totally clean. My 335 has a completely different sound compared to the CR8.

oldflame

Reaction score
I found an almost mint 2003 R7 gold top at a very attractive price considering who crazy the market currently is. Serial number is 7 3771 would this one have a Brazilian board?
Yeah bit late in the numbers run. Mine was 7 3262. Wonder where that is now?

Latest Threads