R4 options

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud (for now) and asking the good people of MLP what they would do. My gear fund is non-existent at the moment and I don't plan on doing anything while the Canadian dollar is so low.

I'm not the type to buy a guitar because my hero played one but have always wanted an Oxblood R4, partially because of Jeff Beck, I love Beck, and I just love how the guitar looks. For whatever reason, I never got around to getting one, always bought something else, but think my next purchase will be one.

I have a 2007 R4, gold top, that I really like and keep toying with the idea of converting it. It feels great and is a nice 8.7 lbs. One option would be to convert it to an Oxblood w/humbuckers. I could HM it, either just a refinish/rout or go with the full monty. That's a lot of money in itself, I'm sure the end result would be incredible, but I could also just buy an Oxblood for less than what a HM would cost, be it just a regular R4 or a Beck signature model. Before anyone asks, yes, I have played a RDS before and after the process and feel it's worth it provided you like the guitar to begin with.

Another option would be to have one built by a small luthier. It's significantly more money and, if I were to go this route, I would sell one of my humbucker LPs to offset the cost.

Another option, be it in the spirt of, would be to get an Oxblood Retrospec. I've always loved the shape of these and he recently made a couple Oxbloods that look amazing. Again, I would sell a guitar to offset the cost.

Thoughts? :hmm:

fugazi20

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking (if I was in your shoes) is that I would target to just buy an Oxblood R4. As you mentioned, it would be cheaper and would also take less of a hit in selling if I ever want to move it for something else. (Cheaper than to convert your R4.)

Now, of course, the R4 sounds like a great guitar, so my question here is, would you consider moving another HB to defer the cost of the Oxblood? I assume not, but given how well it plays, I can see why it would be hard to part with. Plus, you have the option of R4/P90 and R4/HB if you can sell something else and keep the '07 R4.

I'm sure you've thought that, but just thinking out loud. The '07 and Oxblood are different enough that my mind would try and justify working a way to keep both by liquidating something else. :)

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Build up the R4 fund, and keep a low radar. Oxbloods don't surface too often, so when they do you have to be ready to move. A well priced one won't stay on the market long.

I had a nice one a few months back, but between an 55 Hot Mod Humbucker Wraptail and an Oxblood Custom on the racks, the JB R4 was not adding to arsenal. Was not playing it much, so decided to let it got - it sold in just a couple of days.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting you bring up HM...

I went to band practice with some old friends and I encouraged the other guitar player to play my Les Paul (I am playing bass on and off in this band) ....he never put it down. He has one Nashville Flying V....I halfway expected him to use the Les Paul for one or two songs, and go back to his V ....I didn't tell him what it was until he began to look it over quizzically...wondering what he had been playing....

Anyway, I wouldn't convert one. I am at the point where I would probably commission one from a luthier. I know your a collector of many Gibson's ...Since you asked the question, it may be time to reach out...

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
HM it....

You'll have a one of a kind JB! With a braz board!

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
The first thing you said is your gear fund is non existant. And then you give three options, one more expensive than the other. I think there´s a reason that you haven´t pulled the trigger on one yet, and it´s cause you don´t reeeeaaallly want it :)

So with that in mind, do the cheapest option which will give you the lowest harm when selling again (cause you will). Just buy a used one when they show up.

David Mccarroll

Reaction score
The first thing you said is your gear fund is non existant. And then you give three options, one more expensive than the other. I think there´s a reason that you haven´t pulled the trigger on one yet, and it´s cause you don´t reeeeaaallly want it :)

So with that in mind, do the cheapest option which will give you the lowest harm when selling again (cause you will). Just buy a used one when they show up.

This.

RAG7890

Reaction score
..............always liked this one. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

:naughty:

:cheers2:

Attachments

• i-GvLLmWm-M.jpg
    i-GvLLmWm-M.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 229
  • i-TR9qCrR-M.jpg
    i-TR9qCrR-M.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 227

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Cheers guys. Where's the bloody like button when you need it? :hmm:

My gear fund is at zero because I bought a guitar just last week. Heck, I could do all the above if I really wanted to but it's more about self imposed limits and opting for the cheapest option is not my style. Not sure why someone suggested I would sell the Oxblood. I keep guitars I like.

If it wasn't clear in my first post, I would not sell a guitar if I were to HM the 2007 or buy an Oxblood. That was only for the two more expensive choices. Again, setting limits.

A collector of many Gibsons? Ouch. I hate that term. It's more like a harem. :)

And thanks, Rudi, I really needed to see that. :laugh2:

NotScott

Reaction score
I have 3 HMs and an 04 JB, so I can relate to you here.

As for the HMs, I did one Standard package and two Deluxe packages. All of the guitars get stares and compliments everywhere I play them. Most people think they are real and when they find out they are not, they ask where they can have theirs done. The Deluxe package did make a difference in sound but it was a subtle one. It was like going from old strings to new strings. Aside from the looks and sound, the playability and fretwork were impeccable. However, it is a lot of coin to drop on a guitar you already own. I would only recommend it on a guitar you plan to keep.

The Beck I have sounds, feels and looks great! Despite being a total HM fanboy, I feel no need to HM this one. I am not sure if it is the combination wraptail and buckers, the big neck or the woods used by Gibson back then, but this guitar just sings with the best of them. I got lucky when I bought mine as a flipper had bought it new and stashed it in his closet for the past 12 years. I think I paid $3400 for mine but it was as if it just rolled out of the factory. The only other one I considered was an 03 Brazilian that had a little wear for about the same price. However, a member here snatched it out from under me. Regardless, I am quite happy with mine.

If I were in your position, from a strictly economics view, I would sell my R4 and start looking for an 03 Brazilian. The LE signed JBs are fetching stupid money and I don't think they are worth the coin, especially if you are a guitar player, and not a guitar collector/flipper. If you can't find a Brazilian, the standard JBs are fantastic guitars and available for a lot less.

That being said, if your R4 is already a killer guitar that you won't part with and you just want to change the appearance, the HM Standard package may be right for you. You won't get a Brazilian board with fancy binding, inlays and a hide-glued neck, but are they worth another $2K to you?

And finally, as if you needed more inspiration:

IMG_2292_zpsklcu3df8.jpg

Enjoy your search and good luck!

RAG7890

Reaction score
Cheers guys. Where's the bloody like button when you need it? :hmm:

My gear fund is at zero because I bought a guitar just last week. Heck, I could do all the above if I really wanted to but it's more about self imposed limits and opting for the cheapest option is not my style. Not sure why someone suggested I would sell the Oxblood. I keep guitars I like.

If it wasn't clear in my first post, I would not sell a guitar if I were to HM the 2007 or buy an Oxblood. That was only for the two more expensive choices. Again, setting limits.

A collector of many Gibsons? Ouch. I hate that term. It's more like a harem. :)

And thanks, Rudi, I really needed to see that. :laugh2:

Just for you Tim, just for you. What are mates for? :naughty: :laugh2: :laugh2: :wave:

Cheers, Rudi

Falconbill

Reaction score
That HM Ox that Rudi posted is gorgeous.

It's a tough call because even if HM just routes it for humbuckers and refinishes/ages it, you'll still have to factor in the cost of PUs. Of course then you'd have somthing that looks just as good as the aged signature models that are going for crazy money. And you've already made some nice upgrades on your R4 which could be reused and you like the weight and neck.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Great looking guitar, Scott. I should have made it clear in the first post to not post any pictures. :laugh2:

There's five or six Oxbloods on Reverb right now. No kidding, some of them are crazy money.

I would convert this R4 but not sell it, a humbuckers guitar might go, and I wouldn't have a problem paying for new humbuckers. Heck, pickup hunts are just as fun.

Joe A

Reaction score
Some of those options may cost nearly as much as adding another R4 to the collection... which is what I'd recommend when the funds are available :)

d1m1

Reaction score
R5´s are the better R4´s ;)

4799_zpsyiyf6emg.jpg

d1m1

Reaction score
some of those options may cost nearly as much as adding another r4 to the collection... Which is what i'd recommend when the funds are available :)

+1

Tim Plains

Reaction score
R4/R5 Customs are another. Don't get me started...

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

NotScott

Reaction score
Before I bought my Beck, I did consider buying another R5 and having Kim do a full monty Oxblood on that. R5s are relatively cheap, some are already routed for buckers and they have the sweetest feeling neck shape, basically and R4 with softer shoulders.

Machine Man

Reaction score
I would strongly consider the Retrospec option. Those guitars kill me. I really wish a had an extra few grand laying around so I could pick one up.

Latest Threads