R4 Acoustic Sound

Owntone

Reaction score
Created an account here about 2 wks ago - 1st post.

I have a 2010 CS R4 burst - some special run I think. Due to other favorite guitars & current living situation I haven’t played it in a while.

I picked it up last night and strummed acoustically and was surprised at the sound. The best way I can describe it is that it seems to reflect from the maple top vs resonate from the body.

I also have a ‘73 LPC and compared them. It’s kind of similar but doesn’t project like the R4.

If that makes sense to anyone, have you experienced the same thing before? Psychoacoustic?Is it design (e.g. wrap tailpiece)?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thx!

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need pics to hear what you’re saying... :naughty:

..... and welcome to the forum.

;)

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Some guitars are just louder than others. Nothing unusual.

NotScott

Reaction score
The R4 is a wraptail. Your LPC is TOM/stopbar. Yeah, they sound and react different.

mono

Reaction score
How dull the strings are makes a huge difference here. New strings are louder and clearer to my ears. Would need to be a new set put on each for a fair comparison.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Pundits extol the virtues of tone, volume and resonance of the wraptail LPs compared to the ABR-1 and stopbar guitars.
I'm going to have to play one one day myself to see if I can hear and feel a difference.

NotScott

Reaction score
Pundits extol the virtues of tone, volume and resonance of the wraptail LPs compared to the ABR-1 and stopbar guitars.
I'm going to have to play one one day myself to see if I can hear and feel a difference.

I have both and can tell you what I hear. Granted, the guitars are different and that could account for some of the differences but comparing my JB to my CC4:

1) The JB has a much faster attack. Notes jump out of it. On the CC4, there is a bit of sponginess to the attack. The notes tend to flow out of that.

2) The JB has a bit more sustain.

3) The CC4 has more warmth. The JB will cut better.

Again, I am not sure how much of the differences are due to tailpiece setups or other factors but those notes above hold true to my ears for my other Les Paul's with stopbar/TOM setups as well.

Owntone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. It sounded so different I thought it might be a setup issue or ??.

So @mudface can hear me, some (not so great) photos attached.

1st is the ‘10 CS R4

2nd is the ‘73 LPC

3rd is a (bonus) ‘13 Nik Huber Custom ‘59 Orca
I think I saw it’s twin here back in 2013.

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. It sounded so different I thought it might be a setup issue or ??.

So @mudface can hear me, some (not so great) photos attached.

1st is the ‘10 CS R4

2nd is the ‘73 LPC

3rd is a (bonus) ‘13 Nik Huber Custom ‘59 Orca
I think I saw it’s twin here back in 2013.
All of them look fantastic.......... we just like like pics of guitars here......... Love the Custom and R4 though.

Now i can hear what your typing........:laugh2:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Some electrics sound nice acoustically some dont-but have great electric sound-i think it depends on the quality.

Latest Threads