Quick question: is this vintage speed knob real?

Popeye

Reaction score
Hello folks!

I am a but embarrassed to ask, but does this speed knob looks like a real one from the 50s?

I would like to use a single one for a guitar project I have in mind, and I kind of liked the colour of it, but I have no clue if it's actually real, again I know someone who doesn't knows themselves should not buy into vintage stuff, but I genuinely only want one knob.

Thank you guys and again I apologize for bothering

Link for the aforementioned knob

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell but it looks properly old and has embossed numbers. The original '50-52 barrel knobs were similar but 5/8" tall. By '55 they were still gold but 1/2" tall, like that one.

Popeye

Reaction score
It's hard to tell but it looks properly old and has embossed numbers. The original '50-52 barrel knobs were similar but 5/8" tall. By '55 they were still gold but 1/2" tall, like that one.
Thank you for helping me!

ajory72

Reaction score
So hard to tell, in fact its so hard because more than likely its real, real enough I'd say. If someone had spent the time and effort to make a new speed barrel knob that aged - I mean its a nice job, along with paint inside that is going to also age well (relatively speaking) that the creator deserves the $49 asking price :)
It's way better than the "59 Parts" speed knobs I got :(

PS: not just the great job on the item - assuming however its real, I'd take into account the sellers other items.(like the pick below)
61_SG_knobs.jpg

What I found really interesting is this pic of the 61' SG plastics from his eBay sold items, look at the black paint used, typical of the time perhaps?
They look like 59/60 Les Paul Burst knobs re-purposed by Gibson to be black SG knobs.... I mean who-da-thought?
Bargain Burst knobs !

link to ebay item

Latest Threads