Quick Question About Making Body Templates

yawny

Reaction score
Okay, just a quicky here as i'm hoping to get the body templates made up tonight and still see the game.

I ordered Strat body templates from Ron Kirn and they're great and the booklets that come with are very informative etc etc, great stuff.

He leaves out a little details. I know you're supposed to use the templates you buy as a master, but when cutting new templates from them, would you route them or just trace and cut?

I feel as though they should be routed, since it would give a much more accurate result, but my father (who has more experience woodworking than i do, obviously) says that it should be traced and then cut to shape, to avoid the router destroying the master, which is what the new templates are for in the first place.

So which is it?

Rock Johnson

Reaction score
I'd try both. Trace first, bandsaw to approximate dimensions, then route to the final shape.

emoney

Reaction score
I'd trace and cut with a bandsaw/jig saw and then finish sand to the final line.

greenhorn

Reaction score
I'd make damn sure I knew how to properly do it and I would route it/I do route it.

'59_Standard

Banned
Reaction score
I feel as though they should be routed, since it would give a much more accurate result, but my father (who has more experience woodworking than i do, obviously) says that it should be traced and then cut to shape, to avoid the router destroying the master, which is what the new templates are for in the first place.

So which is it?

You may be at cross purposes with your dads thinking - or I maybe I am.

I think what you dad is suggesting -as has been mentioned- is you trace around the template and then cut/sand to the line with a bandsaw/sander ( Bowsaw - ™Barnaby). Then route with the Master Template attached.

Is it possible your dad thinks you are going to cut through your New Template Material using the router only method - Put your master template on top of the wood in this video and you see what I mean. (If this isn't what he's thinking then it doesn't matter. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPUnSKKDk8w]Home Made CNC Router Cutting Guitar, Pt.5: Body Profiling - YouTube[/ame]

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The only reason to make working templates from your master is so that you don't abuse the master by running a router over it again and agian. But to just do it once to make your working template is no big deal.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Doesn't it also matter whether the templates are sized for collar or bearing guidance? For example, Bartlett temps require the use of a (mostly) 5/8" bushing collar and a couple cuts with bearing or shank guidance. Other templates give you the ability to consistently position features of an item and they last over time.

yawny

Reaction score
I think we were both a little bit off of the preferred method : cut/sand then route, but neither were really on it. I just didn't want to botch the master and be out a bunch of money, that would suck.

Thanks all!

Latest Threads