Quick LP Standard questions

PSM

Reaction score
I see that for the 2008 models, there is a Les Paul Standard (regular or Plus) and there is also a Les Paul Standard Traditional (regular or Plus). My questions are in 2007 was there a Standard Traditional model also along with the regular Standard? Were the 60's style necks available on the Traditionals? Just curious.

My 2007 Standard Plus has a 60's style neck and I was just curious as to how I can tell if it's a regular Standard or Standard Traditional (if the Traditionals were made in 2007). I know the pickups are different and the bodies on the Traditionals are weight relieved, not chambered, but obviously I can't tell those differences just by looking at them.

PSM

Reaction score
Aha, I also see that the knobs are different: "speed knobs" on the Traditional and top hat style on the regulard Standard. What's the difference? That would be key right there, I suppose.

EDIT: Alright, they're definitely not speed knobs (flat top and no taper down the sides - same diameter at the top as at the bottom). Mine appear to be the amber vintage style top hat ones? They smoothly taper down from a smaller flat top to a bigger base. I'm assuming that means I have a regular Les Paul Standard Plus model?

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
Short answer, no, there were no Traditional Standards in 2007. They came out with the Traditionals after they messed with the Standard recipe midway through 08 and made the "new" Les Paul Standard.

PSM

Reaction score
Short answer, no, there were no Traditional Standards in 2007. They came out with the Traditionals after they messed with the Standard recipe midway through 08 and made the "new" Les Paul Standard.

Cool, thanks for the quick answer. Just curious. :thumb:

xguitardevilx

Reaction score
No problem. Just please don't whip up any of these coke vs new coke debates. :laugh2:

PSM

Reaction score
No problem. Just please don't whip up any of these coke vs new coke debates. :laugh2:

Haha, no debates here, just curiosity about my guitar. I tend to buy them first if I really like the feel/sound/look and then do the research after. I just happened across that Traditional model online and thought I'd ask. I don't really care what name they put on it; it kicks ass regardless. :thumb:

Latest Threads