Quick-Connect Control Pocket Assembly - Switching Pickups?

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I recently got a Les Paul 2008 Standard, which has the Quick-Connect Control Pocket Assembly over the pots, which supposedly lets you install new pickups without soldering. However, there are no pickups you can buy (not even gibson) that have quick connect cables, which are needed to connect the pickups. So please, could someone explain to me how to install new pickups with this feature?

Thanks! :fingersx:

James Dean

Reaction score
Do what I did... rip out the PCB (which is what most people around here call it, printed circuit board) and replace it with 50s style wiring... imo the gibson caps are awful, compared to CST's, and I replaced the caps with paper in oil's.
I've heard the quick connect stuff is bad for tone... I'd much rather just solder things the old fashion way.

Reaction score
Do what I did... rip out the PCB (which is what most people around here call it, printed circuit board) and replace it with 50s style wiring... imo the gibson caps are awful, compared to CST's, and I replaced the caps with paper in oil's.
I've heard the quick connect stuff is bad for tone... I'd much rather just solder things the old fashion way.

Really? Damn, how would I go about doing that exactly? Would I need to replace anything else after removing the PCB?

(Sorry for all the questions, but I really know nothing about these things:dunno:)

siore

Reaction score
Buy some connectors. Solder the pickup leads to it. Connect.

Someone did a thread with a how to, with the part numbers for the connectors and pins. Try looking for that thread.

James Dean

Reaction score
I think you're looking for something like
g0controlcavity1.jpg

and not so much like
jonesy-albums-wiring-diagrams-picture9078-2008-lp-pcb.jpg

BlueCajun

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, although with a Studio 50s Tribute. I went ahead and ordered connectors and pins from Mouser. It's at least a cheap short term fix. Eventually I plan to remove everything and go with 500k push-pulls for Jimmy Page wiring. If you do order connectors, just be aware that there at least two versions of the Gibson PCB floating around. Some use 2 port connectors for the pickups. Some (like mine) use 3. Make sure you inspect the connectors in your control cavity closely and order the right ones. Good luck!

jeffy

Reaction score
You can put the Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 connectors on any pickup you want. Gibson doesn't offer the connectors and will tell you to hard wire them. This is because they would rather not be helpful and sell something another company makes.

You need;

43645-0200 Molex | Mouser

I think this is the matching connector;

43030-0051 Molex | Mouser

Wrong connectors. There is a big difference between the PicoBlade that the 2012 Standard uses and the Micro-Fit 3.0 the others use.

Sinster

Reaction score
Got my shizzle from Mouser and the crimper from Radio Crack.

I would put all PCB in my guitars... I just have to sit down and make one. I also removed the old caps by desoldering from the PCB and installing PIO ones.

DSC_5208.jpg

If the price is right I'll buy that PCB from you.

Grey

Reaction score
some good old fashioned pots.

The pots are exactly the same, the only thing different is what is connecting them. Either buy new pickups and the correct connectors for the board to attatch to the pickup leads, or replace the whole assembly. About the same amount of work either way.

ed1996

Reaction score
I snipped the pickup from the plug and soldered my new pickup to it.

BlueCajun

Reaction score
Got my shizzle from Mouser and the crimper from Radio Crack.

Do you know the model number of the Radio Shack crimper you bought? I just received my connectors and pins from mouser. I thought about soldering the pickup wires to the pins, but if the price is right, I'd rather use a crimper...much easier. Thanks!

Latest Threads