Quick 3d modeling tutorial, Rhino

ihavenofish

Reaction score
you need to trim the top and sides with the fillet.

its been a while since ive used rhino, so i cant remember exactly where those tools are.

Gothika777

Reaction score
I went to solid>fillet edge>fillet edge and typed in 1 as the radius. Is there soemthing else u have to do afterwards as this clearly shows what I am left with

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your fillet failed. Most likely because the extruded profile curve is non continuous. The curvature next to the tenon doesn't look right to me. It's very important that the curves you draw are correct. You might not want to hear this but a les paul isn't the best object to practice on. I'd go through some basic tutorials first.

Gothika777

Reaction score
Are you talking about the bit where it goes from being straight to being curved? I imported the catto plan for the outline so could it be the curves are non continous on that?

ihavenofish

Reaction score
Are you talking about the bit where it goes from being straight to being curved? I imported the catto plan for the outline so could it be the curves are non continous on that?
the catto plan is unusable for this. everything is disconected. i had to trace over it from scratch. use it as a reference and make a completely new profiles.

Gothika777

Reaction score
I tried this again and did the same thing as yesterday I think

:wtf:?

It doesn't look right at the horn but the edges r radiused:confused:

ihavenofish

Reaction score
the fillet is too big for the horn. are you making this to proper scale? as in, is the fillet 1/4", or just a random number?

Gothika777

Reaction score
Its 1 cm. I'll change it and see what happens. The bodys to scale but the depths of the cavities and the neck route are just random numbers at the minute as I don't know what they should be

Gothika777

Reaction score
Yay it works

If someone could give me some measurements of cavities and such things I'll make a les paul junior body model and then if someones bored one day they can get some scrap wood and cnc it. I could also make a detailed tutorial to go with it so ppl know how to do it as well.
What ya think?

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You still have some problems with the initial curve.

Here's a screen dump of the curves I used for my '53 GT model.
You see how I used one single curve all around the perimeter(black), then I draw a separate curve for the cutaway(blue) and finally a blend curve(red) for the horn.

The blue cutaway curve must have at least G1 curvature continuity, preferably G2, with the neck curve and the black perimeter curve must be 100% perpendicular to the centerline of the guitar at the neck joint.

Here is a example with a 45mm extrude and radius 4.7.

And here is the GT model. The guitar was laser scanned and I've changed the original flat neck angle to 4 degrees so the entire top carve had to be remodeled.

Gothika777

Reaction score
So your using control points to make the curve? I am using curve>free form> interpolated points. I'll try doing it again later.

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, 3 degree control points is the best to use for the perimeter curve.

Gothika777

Reaction score
OMG how do u know where to put the control points. Is it just practice?

ihavenofish

Reaction score
OMG how do u know where to put the control points. Is it just practice?
hehe. basically yes. the model i made in the other thread is done in a similar way. a very sparse control mech thats smoothed parametrically. it takes some practice to know how the end curve is effected by the control points.

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Neil,
It do look like a tSpline but no, it's just normal free form modeling.

Gothika777

Reaction score
Goocart did u place the control points before u drew the curve or during?

Do the control point curves give better continuity than the interpolated point curves?

I ask as the control points curves are really hard to draw

Gothika777

Reaction score
LOL I even tried to trace your image using your control points. I got close but still a FAIL :(