Questions for Gary Moore's guitar tech

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Remembering the late great Gary Moore on his birthday (April 4, 1952) with a classic Roy Buchanan song that takes on extra special meaning this weekend...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k07j7LcLqw[/ame]

Emerald

Reaction score
Latest update my services have been required for the history of Gary's guitars amps and gear from '69 to '89 so I must get back to work (had stopped) and get this info to the author.
I am pleased with this development as it is what I had proposed to do in the first place.
Graham Lilley will cover 1990-2010. Wish me luck!!
Emerald

Actinic

Reaction score
How did Gary set up the Marshall Guv'nor for the song, Still Got the Blues? Out of all the great examples of his playing, nothing surpasses the heart-wrenching tones Gary evoked from his guitar, pedal and amp on this blues masterpiece. Nobody, including Joe Bonamassa, has come close to this level of emotion and artistry.

Emerald

Reaction score
How did Gary set up the Marshall Guv'nor for the song, Still Got the Blues? Out of all the great examples of his playing, nothing surpasses the heart-wrenching tones Gary evoked from his guitar, pedal and amp on this blues masterpiece. Nobody, including Joe Bonamassa, has come close to this level of emotion and artistry.
In my extensive research to tie up loose ends and do my best job possible for Gary's upcoming bio I found the answer to your question!!:cool:

Can you tell me if Gary still uses the Marshall Guv'nor (mark 1). On the FX page it's not mentioned and since it was a big part of his sound (especially on his most succesfull selling album/and song). If so/or even if not, do you know the kind of setting he used.

These are the Guv'nor MK1 settings: Gain at 2 o'clock, Bass at 2 o'clock, Full Mid, Treble at 4 o'clock, Level at 1 o'clock.

When Gary uses an overdrive pedal (G'vnor, tube screamer, whatever...), he does so on a clean channel and loads the effect onto an already overdriven channel on his tube amp.
Hope this helps.
Emerald

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
Which guitars did Gary use for the recording of the "Victims Of The Future" album?

Emerald

Reaction score
Gary used his 1955 Les Paul Junior through two Marshalls for the title track of Victims Of The Future.
Gary also re-recorded the classic track Empty Rooms for this LP.
Gary was using a new method of recoding his guitars and amps on Victim's.
He didn't punch in the solos for the songs playing them live with the rest of the tune. Gary enjoys the guitar to be right on the edge of feeding back giving it such a fullness of tone that makes it sound exciting.
Gary would have used his '61 Fiesta Red Strat (it has been described at times as pink, but that is just the red fading!)
Also that Strat was stolen from an airport and Gary eventually had it returned by Interpol this led him to purchase a couple of the great Fender Fullerton '62 and '57 Reissue Strats. One of the two white '62's he had a bridge humbucker mounted. Gary used a Boss DS-1 with his Strats to give a boost to the single coil vintage style Fender pickups.
Gary would use his Greeny '59 Les Paul Standard live on the song Parisienne Walkways also using the Boss distortion he would get that incredible sustained note on the neck pick up of the LP.
Also Gary uses a very high action with large gauged strings back then, Light Top-Heavy Bottom in standard tuning getting great sustain on a Strat with this combination.
Also Gary had Jim Dunlop jumbo frets fitted to all of his Fenders. Rory Gallagher did this first.
I am hard at work detailing all of Gary's equipment over the 20 year period I am covering and though much of the data is in my memory I have re-researched everything to get it right!
It is very exciting for me as well!!:cool:
Will have lots of info in the book so no worries.
Emerald

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Without wishing to hijack the thread, does anyone know of any bootlegs/rare recordings etc of the Lynott/Moore/Downey Lizzy line up?
Tragically little available apart from Still In Love on Nightlife and the stuff from the extended release of Vagabonds.

Emerald

Reaction score
Without wishing to hijack the thread, does anyone know of any bootlegs/rare recordings etc of the Lynott/Moore/Downey Lizzy line up?
Tragically little available apart from Still In Love on Nightlife and the stuff from the extended release of Vagabonds.
There are bootlegs of which era do you want Moore-Lizzy? '74 '77 '79?
Many file sharing sites exist and I have seen Lizzy bootlegs from many eras available.
The best site I have found for many bootlegs besides all Deep Purple is the:
The Deep Purple Hub
I got many Gary Moore and Lizzy bootlegs there. They ask that you join share and post, the only requirements.
Hope this helps.
Emerald

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Thanks Emerald. It's the first incarnation, post Eric Bell, that I am interested in.

Mats A

Reaction score
What Tubescreamer model did Gary use on the After The War album? He’s got great tone on that one. Also my favourite Gary tone is on the Back On The Streets album. Any OD pedal there?

Emiel

Reaction score
What Tubescreamer model did Gary use on the After The War album? He’s got great tone on that one. Also my favourite Gary tone is on the Back On The Streets album. Any OD pedal there?
Hi, I wouldn't be much surprised if Gary simply used the TS10 on After The War. That was his main stay for many years. See this video for his settings:

As for Back On The Streets... if you look closely at the footage from Sydney 1978 you can't see any pedals. I can't see him stepping on a pedal during the Old Grey Whistle Test either. I think he simply plugged straight into a Marshall 1959 or 2203.

Here's a pic from the 1977 USA tour...

AcVox

Reaction score
When Gary bought a vintage burst he would have it refretted with his preferred fret wire.
What was Gary's preferred fret wire ?

Thankyou.

Last edited:

Emiel

Reaction score
He liked jumbo frets and had Dunlop 6100 on his Fiesta Red Strat, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had the same fret wire on his Les Pauls.

AcVox

Reaction score
So its a fact that he used 6100's on his strats ?

tonybony

Reaction score
I have an old Guitar Player that had a feature on Gary, where it said he put on Dunlop 6100 frets. I think the run that Fender made of his Strat had 6100s and a 10" radius.

AcVox

Reaction score
The fretwire on his burst (not the P Green) looks to have a wire closer to medium /wide. So that would be .100" wide .050" high or .103"wide .047" high
They dont look like the Jumbo .110" wide .055" high.

Is it possible to to confirm which of these wires are most accurate?

Last edited:

Latest Threads