Questions for Gary Moore's guitar tech

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I echo Stinky Kitty's sentiment Emerald, a HUGE THANKS!

Glauco

Reaction score
I have been given the opportunity to ask some questions of the late Gary Moore's guitar tech and manager Graham Lilley. Does anyone here have any behind the scenes questions they might want answered.
I wanted to know when Stripe got the Grovers fitted for example. I have been helping with the Gary Moore biography that is in the works and would love some more questions I could pose with this unique opportunity.
Please no questions about the future of Gary's estate as that is off the table.
Thanks!
Emerald
Emerald...i would KILL to know what are these amps and the pedal of this concert,best Gary's tone ever to me!
Montreux 1995

Fender combo?but what?
dual showman?
twin blackface?
two marshall heads!but..what???
1959?
1987?
1992 super bass?
JCM 45 reissue?

and what pedals?
i would kill to know!!!!!!!

and...are the fender the same of the blues for greeny live concert?
i've found that used the bluesbreaker (ok,i've seen in the video) and there are two fender combos..but...again...what?
dual showman?
twin blackface?

that is the TONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY0iamNFV7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOzYYGPzDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SdE4OSiA4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WoZ9R0PkRU

thanks in advice!

and...i've sent a pm to you :)

Glauco

Reaction score
I'd like to know what he said to him between stripe and greeny [the guitars] -did he try swapping the pups over for Gary. Was he using Seymores in stripe or real PAF's [same with greeny].
Did he mess around with Greeny in the way of changing out electrics and hardware etc.
Also - how many times did he have to have stripe and greeny re-fretted due to Gary's constant use [or did he prefer using strats at home etc]

[I know I'd play both every night until the neck were tooth picks!]
i can reply to you...:)
the Bursts had the original pafs...
the question could be...when he reversed the neck pickup in stripe...did he try the OOP in it?
and...when Hammett bought the guitar they found enough frets..but no enough frets to rectified the fretboard :)

Glauco

Reaction score
I'd love to know any info on the Area 59 / Dave Johnson 'makeover' guitars that were in the process of being done for him. Apparently they were almost finished.
And also if he ever expressed an interest in any of the 'top builder's' burst replicas.
i did never known about these guitars and area 59 until this week
and i've seen a guitar,beautiful,that seems to be "ready". (it remembers of Greeny when Gary get it and there was some cherry in it)

Glauco

Reaction score
I can tell you for a 10 year period at least Gary's favourite amp was his 1972 Marshall Super Bass. He was also fond of his original Bluesbreaker.
I want to know how heavy Stripe is compared to Greeny, I have an intuition that Stripe was lighter.
Thanks for your questions.
Emerald
Greeny is very light!

7gtop

Reaction score
Rev :hmm:

is that with the Sperzels, I don't remember :eek:

Emerald

Reaction score
Emerald, as a fellow Gary Moore freak I have enjoyed and have appreciated reading your very informative posts on Gary for years in various forums. :thumb: This sounds like a great opportunity. I would be curious about Stripes pickup readings too. I know this isn't a Les Paul question, but I have always wondered why he swapped out a rosewood Jackson neck to replace the maple Charvel one on his old iconic white Charvel. I loved that guitar and even went so far as to modify an Adrian Smith Jackson to look like Gary's :)

Have fun in the interview:dude:
Tony I am not sure but it is possible that the neck got damaged, it may also have had heavy wear as Gary played the hell out of it from 1986 through '87 and toured extensively with it.
I personally missed the sharper attack of the all maple one piece neck but there you go. It makes it easier to make a replica using the Adrian Smith Jackson!
I have asked Graham about the whereabouts of the eighties guitars but I seem to remember the red one was put up for a charity auction to my understanding but will know definitely soon!
These Charvels rebuilt and modified by Keith Page who I fear may have passed away as none of his friends or anybody for that matter know what happened to him. He was in remission for cancer but I fear that may have claimed him at some stage.:(
I know of at least three people who have built replicas of these iconic guitars.
The Wild Frontier recording and world tour were amongst the high points of Gary's career!
Here is a picture of Neil Carter with one of my two Gary Moore Heritages I sold to Paul Daws in England. This is from the second series of 75 in Almond Burst:

Emerald

Emerald

Reaction score
Emerald, as a fellow Gary Moore freak I have enjoyed and have appreciated reading your very informative posts on Gary for years in various forums. :thumb: This sounds like a great opportunity. I would be curious about Stripes pickup readings too. I know this isn't a Les Paul question, but I have always wondered why he swapped out a rosewood Jackson neck to replace the maple Charvel one on his old iconic white Charvel. I loved that guitar and even went so far as to modify an Adrian Smith Jackson to look like Gary's :)

Have fun in the interview:dude:
Tony I am not sure but it is possible that the neck got damaged, it may also have had heavy wear as Gary played the hell out of it from 1986 through '87 and toured extensively with it.
I personally missed the sharper attack of the all maple one piece neck but there you go. It makes it easier to make a replica using the Adrian Smith Jackson!
I have asked Graham about the whereabouts of the eighties guitars but I seem to remember the red one was put up for a charity auction to my understanding but will know definitely soon!
These Charvels rebuilt and modified by Keith Page who I fear may have passed away as none of his friends or anybody for that matter know what happened to him. He was in remission for cancer but I fear that may have claimed him at some stage.:(
I know of at least three people who have built replicas of these iconic guitars.
The Wild Frontier recording and world tour were amongst the high points of Gary's career!
Gary's last show at the Kremlin Palace 10/30/10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wL76AqQ9aY
Neil holding one of my two Heritage Gary Moore guitars that I owned, still have the one form the first 75 in Amber Burst this one is from the second series in Almond Burst sold to Paul Daws in England:

Emerald

allo

Reaction score
Please try out 34 hours , the second skid row album from 71........ Garys playing is just so far out and fast and irish , it is before he thought about what he was doing/ playing ...... I honestly think this is some of his very best playing , no one seems to talk about it , so there we go !:lol:

Emerald

Reaction score
Gary's Skid Row playing is amazing, so fluid and fast I like it!
Concerning the matter of questioning Graham Lilley Harry Shapiro the biographer is going to incorporate my questions in the work he and Graham are doing for the guitar equipment section.
My understanding was that Graham would directly answer my questions but this is not the case..makes sense just sort of frustrating in a way.
In any case here are my questions just for our information and my apologies for teasing us all about direct answers to questions.
22/2/15
Graham, I am writing to you because I asked Harry if he could forward questions I had concerning Gary’s guitars and equipment that only you could answer.
I had volunteered my services to Harry regarding chronicling Gary’s equipment from the early Skid Row era onwards through the eighties ending from when you began with Gary circa the SGTB era or definitely post After The War era in 1989.
I realize that you enjoyed a very close relationship with Gary extending way beyond being a guitar tech. As Gary was so technically savvy I’m sure working with him was very rewarding as he seemed to be a very kind and loyal friend.
I have been writing about Gary and his music on the internet since 2005 and I am well known to many of his fans for the passion and interest I help instill in his many fans.
How could one not be passionate about Gary as an awe inspiring musician!
I wrote to you in 2007 I believe about writing an autobiography of Gary. You kindly responded to me that this was a project that Gary did not wish to pursue.
I realize that your tenure with Gary covers quite a few years and that being truly loyal to Gary you have not made public information surrounding Gary post his tragic passing.
I do believe that you would be an invaluable source of information, well more like a complete encyclopedia!
Starting with the Still Got The Blues period, through the After Hours and the live videos of both those tours. The Blues For Greeny and the BBM project through Gary’s series of solo blues albums his equipment was changing and evolving.
I can list for you the knowledge I have about that period at least through BBM as after 1994 I sort of fell of the radar concerning Gary’s exact setups, ie; pedalboards.
I am familiar with his amplifiers used from the Soldano SL100 through the Soldano Hot Rod 50 amps, the Fender Dual Showman head, the Fender Vibroverb used with an external Marshall 4X12”, the Alesis Quadraverb and Midiverb,
When did Gary start using the Electrovoice speakers in his Marshall cabinets and what model were these speakers?
I am compiling a list of the equipment I am aware of and you could if you like correct me or add information as to Gary’s choices.
I believe I speak for the legions of Gary’s fans who live for more technical data of his setups.
I realize Gary and his fingers were the most important component, but as a younger person I learned so much from Gary about the importance of tuning and even the type of strings I used and DiMarzio Cliplok straps I all gleaned from Gary.
I believe it was reported that Gary had many many Marshall amps, with my favourite being his 1972 Super Bass that had been painted purple and Gary restored it to black.
This head was the basis for his Marshall tone from the early nineties through the 1987 Wild Frontier setup with several other Super Leads and one cabinet/straight per amp.
Gary had a massive sound back then.
Over the years it has been impossible to track down Keith Page who preceded you as Gary’s tech. He rebuilt the two Charvels that Gary has made so famous and still to this day attracts massive interest.
I heard that Gary borrowed the Marshall JTM 45/100 head that had belonged to Jimi Hendrix and is currently owned by this gent Dickinson who lent it to Marshall for the basis of the JH Super 100 replica amp.
I would appreciate your cooperation so the correct information can be presented as that would make Gary happy I would imagine.
His innovation in the early eighties using three volume pedals to control his on stage 4X12” top cabs which had keyboards, his guitar and vocals, I believe as he had tired of shouting at soundmen about his levels.
My goal is to share with the world the absolutely first rate guitarist and really the guitarists guitarist that Gary was and still remains always.
Back to Keith Page, fortunately Gary had shared enough info in his magazine interviews to help cover that era.
As far as sharing info about Gary’s equipment that is part of his estate and that may be sensitive I totally respect that may be the case.
I would love to hear stories of the Fiesta Red ’61 Strat, Greeny #9-2308 and Stripe of course #9-2227.
There was a lot of misinformation about that ’58 Burst that Gary owned briefly around the time of After Hours. It was used in all the promo pictures and some videos, but Gary never recorded with it or played it live. I knew he didn’t care for it as it still had the pick guard fitted!
Later years in the 2000’s Gary would play a few Gibson Custom Shop Historic type guitars and besides his 2000-02 Signature model, did Gary have specific guitars made to his spec?

Here are specific questions I have:
1) In the SGTB’s era I know Gary recorded the title track with the prototype JTM-45 reissue head and a Marshall Guv’nor pedal, but on the tour when Gary used the Soldano SL-100’s he was using the rhythm channel. What boost/distortion was he using still the Guv’nor or also a Tube Screamer?
2) When did Stripe get the Grover tuners fitted? Is Stripe lighter than Greeny and does she have higher output pickups, do you have the DC resistance readings of her PAF’s?
3) When Gary has two amps and cabs on stage are they both on or is one a spare? When Gary was using the JCM2000 DSL’s was he also using the rhythm channel with a pedal boost?
4) Did Gary have some guitars being built by Dave Johnson of Area 51? Were these the new guitars that were mentioned he was excited about. I know on the 2010 tour he used a Melvyn Franks CC#1 aged guitar for Parisienne Walkways. Is it true Gary got #1?
5) Which guitar did Gary use Tom Holmes pickups in? Was it his Signature LP 2000-02?
6) I have seen an amateur video on You Tube of Gary’s pedal board on the 2010 tour what pedals was Gary using. I saw a Radial Tonebone and a Boss Fender pedal ,some T Rex pedals, what looks like a Line 6 delay with tape marked 1,2,3,T. Looks like a Boss Digital Reverb and a TS08 Tube Screamer and some other pedals. If you could detail the signal chain and what volume were the Marshall 1959HW amps set at? Were the Les Pauls he was using other than the CC#1 Custom Shop built for Gary or off the rack?
7) Did Gary still possess guitars from the eighties at all? The ’62 and ’57 Reissue Strats and the two custom modified Charvels? Is the famous 1972 Marshall Super Bass still in his collection? The Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster that Greg Lake bought him? Was Gary sentimental about certain guitars in the time that you both worked together? Gary continued to use a straight guitar cord the whole time and did not care for wireless, correct?
8) As a fellow player can you describe what it was like to be at the side of such a brilliantly talented guitarist for so long and do you play guitar yourself Graham?
9) Did Gary have his distortion on and use the guitar volume knob a lot or did he kick it in for solos depending on the song?
10) Were both Marshall Handwired amps used at once and what speakers were loaded in the Marshall 4X12” cabs?
11) I had interviewed Neil Carter in 2009 about the rock era specifically the Wild Frontier era. I had sent DVD’s I had copied from the original VHS tapes and Neil told me that he and Gary used my videos during rehearsals for the 2010 tour which made me feel great! I actually have loads of questions and possibly could get in contact you further to this conversation. I need to speak with Harry about how he is constructing the guitars equipment section of the bio so as not to take too much of your time.
12) Thanks for your help, I know I will think of many more questions after this and thanks for taking the time with me.
So hopefully all will be answered in the book I hope.
I did a lot of research myself as usual but just have to wait and see like everybody else
Emerald

Emerald

Reaction score
I did send almost all my writing and forum posts about Gary to the biographer with my only interest covering all the bases about Gary. I was on the fence about writing my own appreciation of Gary but now I will!
Are folks here interested in a work by myself about Gary?
Thanks
Emerald

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job compiling all the questions Emerald and the answer to your question is YES!

Thanks for taking the time and :cheers:

Emerald

Reaction score
Great job compiling all the questions Emerald and the answer to your question is YES!

Thanks for taking the time and :cheers:
Thank you Midnight Blues for your encouragement. I have received much support over the years especially from the Les Paul community and it would be my honor to create my work about Gary.
Again thanks for the kind words.
Dave Emerald

Latest Threads