Questions for Gary Moore's guitar tech

Emerald

Reaction score
I have been given the opportunity to ask some questions of the late Gary Moore's guitar tech and manager Graham Lilley. Does anyone here have any behind the scenes questions they might want answered.
I wanted to know when Stripe got the Grovers fitted for example. I have been helping with the Gary Moore biography that is in the works and would love some more questions I could pose with this unique opportunity.
Please no questions about the future of Gary's estate as that is off the table.
Thanks!
Emerald

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool Emerald!

How about: What was it about Stripe that made it his #1? What were the the resistances on the pups? And his amp settings, in particular, for his SLPs and Blues Breaker?

:cheers:

questionman

Reaction score
He still have that red Strat?

He want to sell said red Strat?

Or donate it to a willing player?

And the amp thing as well.

Louie

Reaction score
"What was Gary's favourite whisky and in what quantity?"

tonybony

Reaction score
Emerald, as a fellow Gary Moore freak I have enjoyed and have appreciated reading your very informative posts on Gary for years in various forums. :thumb: This sounds like a great opportunity. I would be curious about Stripes pickup readings too. I know this isn't a Les Paul question, but I have always wondered why he swapped out a rosewood Jackson neck to replace the maple Charvel one on his old iconic white Charvel. I loved that guitar and even went so far as to modify an Adrian Smith Jackson to look like Gary's :)

Have fun in the interview:dude:

Emerald

Reaction score
What's was Gary's favorite amp ? And why ?
I can tell you for a 10 year period at least Gary's favourite amp was his 1972 Marshall Super Bass. He was also fond of his original Bluesbreaker.
I want to know how heavy Stripe is compared to Greeny, I have an intuition that Stripe was lighter.
Thanks for your questions.
Emerald

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
I was wondering about the 1984 Vintage White '62 reissue Strat. The one he kept all original, did he sell it?

Best regards, Thomas

Meddled

Reaction score
Did Gary really use a solid state HH amp on some recording sessions?

ajory72

Reaction score
I'd like to know what he said to him between stripe and greeny [the guitars] -did he try swapping the pups over for Gary. Was he using Seymores in stripe or real PAF's [same with greeny].
Did he mess around with Greeny in the way of changing out electrics and hardware etc.
Also - how many times did he have to have stripe and greeny re-fretted due to Gary's constant use [or did he prefer using strats at home etc]

[I know I'd play both every night until the neck were tooth picks!]

alexanderja

Reaction score
I'd love to know any info on the Area 59 / Dave Johnson 'makeover' guitars that were in the process of being done for him. Apparently they were almost finished.
And also if he ever expressed an interest in any of the 'top builder's' burst replicas.

Lespauly

Reaction score
Heres my question--Im curious to know what guitar was used on the solo to (Over The Hills and Far Away) and what guitars,amps and pedals where used on that whole album....

Spideymarino

Reaction score
Could you ask Graham 'did Gary just use the tubescreamer for solos or did he tend to have it on all of the time'.

Thanks Emerald.

allo

Reaction score
Did Gary really use a solid state HH amp on some recording sessions?
I think the h and h was on the grinding stone sessions , circa 73 ,it certainly sounded like it !

Latest Threads