Questions for Dimarzio 36th Anniversary users

robalx9

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here has the 36th Anni DP103 (neck) pickup in the bridge position? Even better, anyone have two of these DP103s in their guitar?

If so, how do you like it?

I briefly tried one with the DP223 bridge model, but I wasn't blown away. Looking for a similar tone, but a little less output and mids, hence why I'm wondering if the DP103 in the bridge could be the answer. FWIW, I have the DP103 in the neck, and I like it a lot.

Saiko

Reaction score
The PAF 59 models are way better than the PAF 36th IMO; just keep in mind that they are also unpotted. That being said, I prefer the DP103 in both positions over the DP223 bridge.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a couple sets of the 36th anniversary's when they came out. the vid clips online were super impressive, but in guitars they were just ok. definitely not impressive.

the Stew Mac parsons street pickups are FAR more interesting sounding. if you're looking for that vibe without dropping tons of ca$h.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're asking for other opinions, but I put Fralin Pure PAF's in an LP Standard. Incredible! Worth considering.

flatrockmobile

Reaction score
I bought a couple sets of the 36th anniversary's when they came out. the vid clips online were super impressive, but in guitars they were just ok. definitely not impressive.

the Stew Mac parsons street pickups are FAR more interesting sounding. if you're looking for that vibe without dropping tons of ca$h.
Which Parson Street HBs are you referring to? Alnico 2 or 5, regular or overwound?
Jeez, I just looked and they are $80 each now.

Antigua

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here has the 36th Anni DP103 (neck) pickup in the bridge position? Even better, anyone have two of these DP103s in their guitar?

If so, how do you like it?

I briefly tried one with the DP223 bridge model, but I wasn't blown away. Looking for a similar tone, but a little less output and mids, hence why I'm wondering if the DP103 in the bridge could be the answer. FWIW, I have the DP103 in the neck, and I like it a lot.
I recorded an inductance for that neck pickup of 4.5 henries, and 5.6 henries for the bridge. The DiMarzio PAF Master set has 4.5H for the bridge and 4.3H for the neck, so the 36th's neck pickup and the PAF Master bridge are almost the same pickup in that respect. So using two neck 36th pickups is not a lot different from installing the PAF Master set.

For comparison, since it's such a common set, a Seymour Duncan '59 neck is around 4.3 henries, and the bridge 5.1 henries, so if you consider the SD '59 as dead center, the 36th Anniv. set is sort of "vintage hot" in relation to the SD '59's, where as the PAF Master is relatively "underwound".

I have both sets in Zemaitis guitars, to replace the very hot pickups they came with, and I think both are very easy to work with. DiMarzio's nickel covers looks nice, too.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
RE: parsons street. the set I have are the alnico 2's. unspotted regular wind.
$80 each!!!???? what happened?

robalx9

Reaction score
That being said, I prefer the DP103 in both positions over the DP223 bridge.
If you tried the DP103 in both positions, did the output balance ok between the two positions?

Saiko

Reaction score
If you tried the DP103 in both positions, did the output balance ok between the two positions?
It did although keep in mind that the neck pickup s going to be quite a bit louder than the bridge unless you adjust them accordingly.

Ultimately I took them out of the guitar they were in in favor of a set of Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 59's.

diavolo

Reaction score
One of my guitars has a DP103 in the neck, but I usually just play on the bridge. I'm going to have to revisit that guitar tomorrow. I'm excited to pay attention to something I already own but didnt think anything of it until i read you guys talking about it haha.

robalx9,
what do you have in the bridge position right now? is the DP223 in there still? maybe you can modify it to have a little less output and less mids if thats what youre after.

robalx9

Reaction score
One of my guitars has a DP103 in the neck, but I usually just play on the bridge. I'm going to have to revisit that guitar tomorrow. I'm excited to pay attention to something I already own but didnt think anything of it until i read you guys talking about it haha.

robalx9,
what do you have in the bridge position right now? is the DP223 in there still? maybe you can modify it to have a little less output and less mids if thats what youre after.
The current pickup is a Super Distortion. It's fine, but I want something a little cleaner. The DP223 I tried briefly was in another guitar, wasn't bad, but I wasn't crazy about it, was a bit too middy.

diavolo

Reaction score
I love super distortions! i find them really versatile.
you could put a capacitor on it or wire it in parallel. that would be cheap or free and might be the perfect fix.

diavolo

Reaction score
I just did a couple "tests"
Played my HH strat, which has a super distortion in the neck position, and I can coil split it.
then I played a Mustang i have with a super distortion in the bridge position and I can coil split it too.

Split it does clean up a lot. If I were you I would wire the super distortion you have in parallel.
The resistance will be about the same as a DP103. It will be a lot cleaner, and since its in parallel it will retain its hum cancelling ability.

Then I grabbed another strat i have with a DP159F in it because that one i wired up to switch between series and parallel.
I wanted to play a DiMarzio in parallel just because.

I think thats worth trying for you. The cost is free. Just takes a bit of your time, and its reversible.

You could always easily test it first by grounding the remaining black and white wires and hearing what it sounds like coil split. just temporarily shove them onto something that grounded. then imagine that tone but a bit better and thats what parallel will sound like.

Latest Threads