Questions about Inlay materials , plastic and natural:

mrmega

Reaction score
Hello group!

I have a 2011 Les Paul Traditional Pro that I really like. Its one of my favorite playing and sounding guitars of all time, going back 40 years. I also really like my 2 Les Paul Customs.

In the paperwork for the Traditional Pro, it says the inlays are made of ABS plastic. Is this common?

How long has Gibson been using ABS plastic or other man-made materials?

What Les Paul models from what periods use abalone or mother of pearl or other natural materials for inlays?

What Les Paul models from what periods use plastic or man made materials for inlays??
Thanks

MP4-22

Reaction score
Les paul customs and special models use MOP...... Standards have always used acrylic unless its a special spec.

ARandall

Reaction score
Even 50s Les Paul's had plastic inlays. It just they were made from a more volatile plastic - that got swapped for a less flammable plastic when restrictions about workplace safety became tighter.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SRV had a Hamiltone with his signature inlayed….practically the whole dang fretboard was plastic

still made it sound like “him”

ARandall

Reaction score
I always thought that guitar used MOP.
But the inlay depth is typically only about 10-15% of the fretboard depth. MOP is supplied thicker as you can't bend them to fit into a curved rout like plastic. So the edges are getting toward paper thin if it's a 7 1/4" radius for example.
If you're into figuring out the amount of inlay material, even that extensive one would probably be less than 5% of the whole fretboard mass.
Then regular trap inlays are maybe .5%, and dots about .05%

Jungle

Reaction score
Gibson made in 2015 has real MOP inlays, nice blue and purple reflections.

Temp 47881.JPG

Great R8

Reaction score
Even 50s Les Paul's had plastic inlays. It just they were made from a more volatile plastic - that got swapped for a less flammable plastic when restrictions about workplace safety became tighter.

So we will never have a true replica/reissue? Do they still make that volatile plastic?

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, they've used cellulose nitrate for reissues for quite a while now

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, you can still buy cellulose nitrate for making inlays. I also have some MIJ guitars that have them.

Latest Threads