Question regrading technique

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe this question/concern is crazy?
D8FBE639-C3EF-4043-946B-701567A818BD.jpeg

I have been playing all my fingerstyle stuff on my Inuk. The space between the strings are of a size able difference from a guitar. When I go to play guitar my fingers still reach for the Inuk spaced strings.

I am working on some stuff that is more advanced then I have worked on for years. As strange as this sounds, I am worried that as I develop my technique, I am going to get so used to the Inuk, that I will struggle to fit them onto guitar. At the same time, the techniques are not fully new. I have done this in the past, and I have always played a lot of fingerstyle stuff (using hybrid picking). I know that I easily switch between many different guitars and at worst it takes a couple of week for fingers to settle in.

It is just that the difference is so great. For example, (on normal guitar) went to hit the b string and I hit the the high e insteed.

What do you think? Has anyone else had similar experiences? How worried should I be?

paradice

Reaction score
I’d just make a point of picking up the guitar every couple of days and play the stuff you’re learning so you don’t ‘forget’ how it feels..

not had it happen with guitar but there’s some stuff on piano that I’m 100% relying on muscle memory to play, fine on a full size piano but pretty much can’t play it on smaller keys on a midi controller etc

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've had similar experiences Saint, but it never seemed to take long to re-adjust. Just make sure you play the guitar enough to get used to it again before rushing out to do a gig & I'm sure you'll be fine.

:wave:

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. (I wrote that yesterday but was sidetrack. I do appreciate your answers, experiences, and thoughts).

It was good seeing your post huw. It has been forever since I been here on mlp.

My theory chops have depreciated. They have became very rusty. But since I am focusing on music again, they have come back a bit. I still have my circle of fifths memorized. However Gb seems a little shaky. I have to think about it. My chord spelling is decent but I am not sure if a dimished 7th chord has a double flat seven, where as a half diminished has a b7.... I am not reading any heavy music or even complex lead sheets. Not really doing any compositional work and my ear training has gone to crap. It is weird how I let go of so much. Let us just say, that the last number of years have been rough.

Last edited:
Reactions: huw

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FYI... (“your” meaning anyone). I went back to doing all my fingerstyle stuff on my electric guitar. No problems at all. It felt a little awkward at first but the transition was pretty fast. I started calling the Godin “the beast”. My hands are a bit small and “the beast” takes a lot of strength to play. Even though I played it every day for a couple of hours for three months, it still fought me. I love the sound and the feel of the neck but it is a “beast”. I am thinking of selling it but I can not come up with an alternative (kinda like a 10 metal string lute sound).

Latest Threads