Question on Boss GT8

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi there

I wonder if anyone here has some extensive experience on GT8 multieffect processor... Here is my story...

Few weeks ago I decided to move from GT8 (multieffect) to pedals.. I got a CryBaby as a start and was thinking of delay and chorus pedals... However, I now decided to make some use of the GT8... I am using the GT8 now in the amp FX Loop as I will just use the GT8 for delay, chorus, noise gate, foot volume... things that all fit in the amp FX Loop

Here is how I plug it now

Guitar > CryBaby > Amp in > Amp send > GT8 in > GT8 out > Amp return

My problem:
I feel the GT8 affects sound even when I am switching ALL effects off.. as if I am adding a filter to the sound.. Anyone can help me how to make the GT8 really in bypass mode and just add the effects I activate?

tzd

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the GT8, but I just looked at the Owner's manual...

You will want to totally bypass the AMP model section of the GT8.

If there is a way in your GT8 to configure it such that all the effects you are using falls AFTER the EXT LOOP in the signal chain, you can try:

Amp Send -> GT8 EXT LOOP RETURN -> [All your GT8 effects are here] -> GT8 OUTPUT L (MONO) -> Amp Return

Also in your OUTPUT SELECT, try either LINE/PHONES or COMBO RETURN and see if it makes a difference.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the GT8, but I just looked at the Owner's manual...

You will want to totally bypass the AMP model section of the GT8.

If there is a way in your GT8 to configure it such that all the effects you are using falls AFTER the EXT LOOP in the signal chain, you can try:

Amp Send -> GT8 EXT LOOP RETURN -> [All your GT8 effects are here] -> GT8 OUTPUT L (MONO) -> Amp Return

Also in your OUTPUT SELECT, try either LINE/PHONES or COMBO RETURN and see if it makes a difference.

I assume that the GT8 won't operate if nothing is plugged to the input... However, it worth a try... your suggestion is theoretically valid and interesting.. I will try it tonight and keep you updated

Thanks dude

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi tzd... as expected, it didn't work.. the GT8 is dead silent when nothing is plugged into the "Input"... I disabled the only effect that was set to ON by default; Noise Suppressor. Sound is now very close to original sound.. I keep enabling and disabling the FX Loop of the amp and sound is almost the same now..

tzd

Reaction score
Hi tzd... as expected, it didn't work.. the GT8 is dead silent when nothing is plugged into the "Input"... I disabled the only effect that was set to ON by default; Noise Suppressor. Sound is now very close to original sound.. I keep enabling and disabling the FX Loop of the amp and sound is almost the same now..

Good to know!

I came across this video that might help you fine tune the last bit - Choosing Line/Phones for output, setting the Output Meter and using the EQ:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcIMqfg01D8[/ame]

dpgumby

Reaction score
Download 'GT8 Brilliance' - type it into Google, it's easy to find. It's a fantastic resource, it will tell you everything you need to know.

My recommendations:
Either set up a set of patches with the preamp off OR you could put the unit into 'system' mode, which makes all the patches use the same preamp model, then you could turn the preamp off, so effectively you can use all your patches then, just with effects.
If you use the loop, make sure it's in the right position in the chain. Balancing the loop levels may be useful.
Another good way to use it like a pedal board would be to stick it in manual, then program the pedals for the effects you want to toggle. You could set the fx1 & 2 pedals to go through different patches so you could change patches whilst still in manual mode. Or add sub control pedals for even more options.

The GT8 is so flexible, the possibilities are endless. Many of the effects are capable of producing good sounds if you know how to get the best out of them.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Download 'GT8 Brilliance' - type it into Google, it's easy to find. It's a fantastic resource, it will tell you everything you need to know.

My recommendations:
Either set up a set of patches with the preamp off OR you could put the unit into 'system' mode, which makes all the patches use the same preamp model, then you could turn the preamp off, so effectively you can use all your patches then, just with effects.
If you use the loop, make sure it's in the right position in the chain. Balancing the loop levels may be useful.
Another good way to use it like a pedal board would be to stick it in manual, then program the pedals for the effects you want to toggle. You could set the fx1 & 2 pedals to go through different patches so you could change patches whilst still in manual mode. Or add sub control pedals for even more options.

The GT8 is so flexible, the possibilities are endless. Many of the effects are capable of producing good sounds if you know how to get the best out of them.

This is really valuable man.. thank you

I switched now to a bit more complicated setup.. cry baby + GT8 in 4C mode.. too much shields :laugh2:
But I feel I am getting more outcome now from the GT8 with dedicating the exp pedal to volume.. of course the cry baby also sounds better to me than GT8 build in wah

Latest Threads