Question From A Complete Amp Ignoramus...

Paul46

Reaction score
Ok...I've been playing for more years than I can remember, but know nothing about amplifiers. I flick the switch, the light comes on and my guitar works....that is the extent of my knowledge!

I currently have a Laney VC30-212 30w combo. A friend of mine has offered me a pair of Celestion G12H speakers rated at 30w as a possible upgrade. The impedance is 16 ohms, the same as the ones already in there. So, would this be a good thing to try...or is something likely to go bang?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

JCarno

Reaction score
You'll be fine. Let us know what you think of the difference. Maybe make a before and after vid. Good Luck!! :)

sonar

Reaction score
Ok...I've been playing for more years than I can remember, but know nothing about amplifiers. I flick the switch, the light comes on and my guitar works....that is the extent of my knowledge!
You sir, are my hero.

I currently have a Laney VC30-212 30w combo. A friend of mine has offered me a pair of Celestion G12H speakers rated at 30w as a possible upgrade. The impedance is 16 ohms, the same as the ones already in there. So, would this be a good thing to try...or is something likely to go bang?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Nothing should go bang, but why bother? If you like your amp as is, leave it alone.

Trust me, a little amp knowledge will cost you a ton of money in the long run.

As long as you don't electrocute you or another bandmate, it's all good.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Bad idea! You've gone all these years and resisted the dark side of the force. Once you give in there's no turning back.

It will only be a matter of months before your "New Amp Kit" thread.

Here There Be Monsters!

wrc73

Reaction score
:lol:

Is there something about the amp that you are not happy with? Better or worse is subjective, about the only thing you can count on is that it will sound different with different speakers. If you don't have a specific objective in mind like tightening up the bottom end or making the amp brighter, etc... I would leave well enough alone. :hmm:

However, there is nothing wrong with trying new stuff, you may like it. :naughty:

Paul46

Reaction score
Thanks guys...sometimes these things just have to be done!

If I don't notice a significant change for the better I'll just change them back again.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
It's too late, brother. The very fact that you're even asking indicates without doubt that the venomous elixir has taken full effect.
You may as well start asking about soldering irons. :D
As to the original question, try them! Then try mixing them. Sometimes running different speakers that compliment each other can give a pretty cool sound. If tweaking gear is a luxury you can afford in blood, treasure and time, I say good hunting!

dissaffected

Reaction score
Ok...I've been playing for more years than I can remember, but know nothing about amplifiers. I flick the switch, the light comes on and my guitar works....that is the extent of my knowledge!.
Boy..am I am right behind you in that line. I go with a friend this past weekend to try Carr amps, divided by 13 and Griese. They sounded great when someone else played them. When I played, I just sounded like me. When I screwed around with dials, it sounded like me screwing with the dials.

I am interested to see if you hear a diff.

EndGame00

Reaction score
The G12H30 are very bright speakers... I've never played a Laney amp, so I would assume it will help cut through the mix in a band situation..

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

If I don't notice a significant change for the better I'll just change them back again.
Twere me, I'd swap one G12H in first. then try with both G12Hs. Also, if you CAN record as is, after 1 swap, after 2 swap. Try it on several different days (yep, ears change, air changes etc).

You might like the mix the best.

Paul46

Reaction score
The G12H30 are very bright speakers... I've never played a Laney amp, so I would assume it will help cut through the mix in a band situation..
That's good to know because to my ears it could do with brightening up. I know the tubes are good so they aren't an issue. Maybe it is my hearing!

Again, I would never have thought of mix and matching speakers...thanks for the tip cybermgk.

Cheers guys.

acstorfer

Reaction score
I always like tinkering. You never know how good something can be if you never try. Even when you already like something.

Just remember that speakers sometimes take time to break in so don't decide too quickly.

sonar

Reaction score

And he dives in with speaker swapping.

Lord, help him.

EndGame00

Reaction score
A lot of Marshall amp owners are not particularly fond of G12H30 reissue by itseld because they can make a bright amp very sizzly on the upper mid frequency... It has a flat EQ so they sound great when paired up with a different speaker, especially with a Vintage 30.. They also sound great in combos, from my experience...

Not sure if its true but the G12H30 were specifically loaded in Orange cabs back in the old days...