Question for Vox Night Train owners

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
What type of cab do you guys run with your Night Train? I'm considering my next amp, and I want a tube amp. I'm leaning closely to the Night Train (though Blackstar, and Orange are possibilities). Reason being is that I love Vox cleans (and Blackstar cleans seem mediocre, and I have an Orange amp already...so variety is kind of important), but I also wanted something with good crunch on tap.

I'd be looking at the 15 Watt G2 version, the newer on they have out. I've wondered what cab to pair with it, it seems like most things I hear about the actual Vox Night Train cab have been negative. On top of that, it seems I've only been able to find one demo where somebody uses it with the Night Train (Chicago Music Exchange, and to be fair, it sounds good). It's kind of telling that even the Vox demo isn't using the Night Train cab. Anyway, one demo in particular, dude says he was using the Celestion Vintage 30s, and they sounded pretty rad with the night train. I'd be looking at a 1X12, I'll probably never be a gigging musician, but I do like to have something with a bit of power just in case.

Cabs that seem like intriguing are the Egnater Tweaker or Rebel, the Hughes and Kettner 1X12, or the Orange PPC (but is a bit pricier than the rest). What do you guys like/use?

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Northernguitarguy is gonna knock this one out of the park when he sees it. He runs an Orange TT and a Vox Night Train, I believe.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
For home practice, I use a Celestion V30 and it's a pretty loud setup, but it sounds divine. I'm thinking about a greenback or similar as a substitute and to get better tones at lower volumes. It can also run a 4x12 very well. Great choice for an amp!

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I was hoping you'd respond since you've always had glowing things to say about the Night Train. So essentially, any cab I can find with a V30 should do the trick? I think the Egnater Rebel and H&K cabs have those stock. Actually, I think the Orange cab does as well.

Might not be a bad idea for me to get the Orange cab even at the price, as it's highly likely I'll eventually want another Orange, but a head with tubes.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
Not sure of a budget oddly enough. I'm kind of getting feelers right now, it might even be a year or so before I buy another amp. I'm just curious, I know what I want for my head, but the cab is a bit murky since the Vox Cab seems to have been panned by most players.

I have heard of Avatar, and it seems a 1X12 can be had for roughly 300 hundred bucks which isn't too bothersome for me. Probably a V30 would be the way to go since the best demo I've heard had a V30 (it was a Dragoon (?) cab I think). And they seem to get pretty good reviews around these parts.

Edit - Or more like 344, with shipping. Still not bad considering you can customize it and it's still pretty reasonable. But man...so many choices for speakers. Avatar seems a good route to go, good price, good reputation, good selection of speakers, and you plenty of options for the looks.

AllTheSound

Reaction score
My fav cab to use with the night train is a Mojotone 2 x 12 oversize Marshall style straight cab with a V30 and a WGS Green beret. Killer combo!
Not sure if Avatar makes the same cab. But i think they are pretty much the same build quality as Mojotone.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
When I had my NightTrain, I ran the 1x12 with the Celestion greenback. I never could get settled on the sounds from that setup. Cleans were great, but I needed something with a bit more gain potential and plays nice with pedals when the occasion called for it.. Sold to a friend that loves it and all it offers..

Now for the Blackstar.... I agree the cleans are steril. Put an EQ on it and the world is ready for you! Can do classic rock to metal in a heartbeat and plays well with pedals.. Worked much better for me and the noise I make.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
When I had my NightTrain, I ran the 1x12 with the Celestion greenback. I never could get settled on the sounds from that setup. Cleans were great, but I needed something with a bit more gain potential and plays nice with pedals when the occasion called for it.. Sold to a friend that loves it and all it offers..

Now for the Blackstar.... I agree the cleans are steril. Put an EQ on it and the world is ready for you! Can do classic rock to metal in a heartbeat and plays well with pedals.. Worked much better for me and the noise I make.

I haven't tried the Blackstar, but sterile clean sound like a compromise when the NT sounds so sweet. However, I would agree that without pedals, it isn't much of a Metal amp. However, it takes pedals very well and with the right distortion pedal, the sky's the limit. I have a Cornish G2 clone that sounds huge and ferocious through the NT. However, straight-up, my Orange does the Hard RAWK and verges on Metal much better.

Zepp76

Reaction score
I use the Orange PPC212 open back with my Tiny Terror and it rocks! Two vintage 30 speakers so just what you are looking for. You owe it to yourself to try one, I picked mine up for £220 an absolute steal.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Blackstar, but sterile clean sound like a compromise when the NT sounds so sweet. However, I would agree that without pedals, it isn't much of a Metal amp. However, it takes pedals very well and with the right distortion pedal, the sky's the limit. I have a Cornish G2 clone that sounds huge and ferocious through the NT. However, straight-up, my Orange does the Hard RAWK and verges on Metal much better.

Yeah, it's why I'm probably 85% leaning toward the NT, the cleans are amazing. I have a good fuzz pedal (Cloven Hoof) if I feel the dirt is lacking, but it didn't seem that way from what I could tell. I love the Vox cleans, and much as I love my Orange, the cleans aren't quite like the Vox for me.

Scouring the used market for an Orange cab might be a great idea actually, if I find something cheaper than the avatar, especially if I could get a 2X12 for a solid price.

Other question, difference between open and closed back? From what I understand the closed back is better for higher gain stuff?

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yeah, it's why I'm probably 85% leaning toward the NT, the cleans are amazing. I have a good fuzz pedal (Cloven Hoof) if I feel the dirt is lacking, but it didn't seem that way from what I could tell. I love the Vox cleans, and much as I love my Orange, the cleans aren't quite like the Vox for me.

Scouring the used market for an Orange cab might be a great idea actually, if I find something cheaper than the avatar, especially if I could get a 2X12 for a solid price.

Other question, difference between open and closed back? From what I understand the closed back is better for higher gain stuff?

I prefer the closed back tone, though I have never used the same speaker for comparison. The V30 is a powerful speaker that sounds great in a closed-back cab. Personally, I don't get hyped over cab names, as long as the construction is solid and the speaker is good. My 1x12 cab is a Peavey Bandit 112 cab, meant to be sold as a compliment to the combo amp. I pulled the Sheffield speaker in favor of the V30 and it's a killer cab, built to withstand a war. It cost next to nothing, it was part of a trade. The former owner threw it in because I was willing to travel to his place in Toronto for the trade. Keep an open eye for these, they are a cheap solution to buying a new cab and I think they are as solid as any build.

Latest Threads