Question for Universal Audio Ox owners

jm55

Reaction score
I know the Ox can act as an attenuator, and I know it has cabinet simulators, but does it have any amp simulators? In other words, could you run it direct into a DAW without using an external amp?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I know the Ox can act as an attenuator, and I know it has cabinet simulators, but does it have any amp simulators? In other words, could you run it direct into a DAW without using an external amp?
If you download the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin for DAWs, it has amp simulators based on tube type, i.e. 6v6, EL34, etc. Incredible piece of software that will work with any load box. Dozens upon dozens of cab sims to try out and purchase.

jm55

Reaction score
Very interesting. So now I'm wondering if I even need the Ox. Do you think the Two Notes Wall of Sound ca do everything in-the-box, i.e., without the need for a load box? I've struggled to capture a great guitar sound and I'm looking for ideas.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Very interesting. So now I'm wondering if I even need the Ox. Do you think the Two Notes Wall of Sound ca do everything in-the-box, i.e., without the need for a load box? I've struggled to capture a great guitar sound and I'm looking for ideas.
I think it all depends on how you want to patch your amp into you DAW. If your amp has a line out, that’s an easy patch. I do think you can run a pedal board direct to your DAW, and then use the WoS software for the amp and cab sims. Never tried it.

FWIW, I run my Orange Terror into my DAW through a Two Notes Torpedo Captor. Works amazingly, lets me play without a cab. Compared to the Ox, it’s very affordable and a great piece of kit.

jm55

Reaction score
Thanks. I do have a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface, so perhaps that can get the guitar into the DAW (I have Reaper) to then take advantage of Two Notes amp and cab simulators. I'll send the question to Two Notes. I know there's amazing technology out there today, but it's more a question of us old school guys figuring out how it all works.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I'm an old school guy using...

Guitar
Kemper Profiler
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Logic Pro X

I find this setup very easy to figure out.

In the past I had separate preamp and power amp, 4x12 cabs, combos, mics, pedals, rack gear, etc. Sold it all off and quit playing for a little over a decade. When I got back into playing again, I started off with a guitar plugged directly into the LINE IN of a MacBook with GarageBand and no audio interface. Talk about Bees in a Can. I quickly got an audio interface and went through several software and hardware amp modelers before arriving at my current setup with the Kemper.

My point is find out what it is you're trying to accomplish and buy the gear only once.

After a quick read online about the OX, it does not have onboard amp modeling and is strictly a load box with mic and speaker cabinet emulation.

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks. I do have a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface, so perhaps that can get the guitar into the DAW (I have Reaper) to then take advantage of Two Notes amp and cab simulators. I'll send the question to Two Notes. I know there's amazing technology out there today, but it's more a question of us old school guys figuring out how it all works.
That should work well, I just don't know how it will sound. You wont be able to patch an amp in unless it has a line out. That's where the Captor is a really cool toy/tool. The WoS plugin comes as a bonus if you purchase one.

Good luck, and please come back with some results!