Question for the singers

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Recently, I have been losing my voice, or rather PART of my voice during gigs. My last 3 gigs (I canceled the 4th) my voice starts getting really raspy about halfway through. And even during my demos just talking it gets that way about 15 mins into the demo. It's mainly the lower register when I sing. It seems like the stuff that's just a bit higher ( go from a song in C to a song in D) is ok. I drink a lot of water , Unsweetened tea, and a cup or two of coffee a day. Just started using a small humidifier and a Navage but it doesn't seem to be helping. If I chew gum during a gig, that seems to help some. So that tells me it may be that my vocal chords are drying out. I don't (gonna start) do warm ups before I sing. Is there anything else short of going to a Dr that you guys can think of that might help? I am genuinely concerned because it keeps happening.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're entering puberty. Your voice is going to change.

Probably need something to get those salivary glands going to keep your vocal cords moist. Room-temperature water with lemon worked for me.

Last edited:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
My voice is SHOT-but, I can do a 40 minute show as long as I have a container of HOT tea w/lemon and honey. I also may take an Indica pill so I don't OVER EXTEND. Have the sound-guy put your vocals up high. Then just "glide."

motowntom

Reaction score
It takes a bit of practice, but try getting as much air as possible through your nose.
Cheers

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A long time ago, when I was in my thirties, I could only reach the two high notes in American Pie if I sang it in the first or second set. After that it would be two screeches.

sonar1

Reaction score
Do you smoke anything?

How about overall hydration?

Lots of water. Some lemon in it.

Breathing and controlling breath from your diaphragm is huge.
Never cut off a note with your throat. Take the air out from under it with your diaphragm.
Pretend you’re a pipe in a pipe organ. Keep the top open, control from the bottom.

I learned this 50 years ago. Now 71, I can sing better than ever. Range too.
Does your local Junior College offer Voice? Or Choir?

Last edited:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Do you smoke anything?

How about overall hydration?

Lots of water. Some lemon in it.

Breathing and controlling breath from your diaphragm is huge.
Never cut off a note with your throat. Take the air out from under it with your diaphragm.
Pretend you’re a pipe in a pipe organ. Keep the top open, control from the bottom.

I learned this 50 years ago. Now 71, I can sing better than ever. Range too.
Does your local Junior College offer Voice? Or Choir?
Cigars. Cut back on those already

redking

Reaction score
Recently, I have been losing my voice, or rather PART of my voice during gigs. My last 3 gigs (I canceled the 4th) my voice starts getting really raspy about halfway through. And even during my demos just talking it gets that way about 15 mins into the demo. It's mainly the lower register when I sing. It seems like the stuff that's just a bit higher ( go from a song in C to a song in D) is ok. I drink a lot of water , Unsweetened tea, and a cup or two of coffee a day. Just started using a small humidifier and a Navage but it doesn't seem to be helping. If I chew gum during a gig, that seems to help some. So that tells me it may be that my vocal chords are drying out. I don't (gonna start) do warm ups before I sing. Is there anything else short of going to a Dr that you guys can think of that might help? I am genuinely concerned because it keeps happening.
I recently read Michael Beinhorn's book and he has a regimen that he likes singers to follow when he is working with them and a big part of it is the diet. If you can find that chapter from his book somewhere it lists out all the restrictions - point being, maybe restricting your diet to very bland food and drink the day before a gig may help. (I could see the stomach acid from regular heartburn irritating that part of your diaphragm where the lower register comes from)

Last edited:

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was serious about hiring a female singer

I watched this local guy for a while play local breweries and coffee shops, he was either on with the guitar and struggling with vocals or Vice versa. He hired a woman vocalist and wow! His playing began to really shine and her vocals complimented his playing wonderfully, he was able to focus on what he was good at and he got a ton better at it.

they had a great following

meatball

Reaction score
Intresting story ,,,, About 18 years ago I. Was having problems hitting the high notes on Heart Of The Matter from Don Henley .. I had sang that song for about 6 years and it wasnt a struggle until I hit a road Block .. I went to a doctor and he looked down my throat And said “ Hey , Your Vocal Cords are Burned, do you snore ? “ I said I heard rumor from road mates that I did some snoring horriblly .. The acid was coming up from my stomach and burning my vocal cords ,,, I recommend a Sleep study .. I have slept better and I have had No singing issues and I sing about 60 percent of the time on stage these days wheter its lead or Harmony so,,,,just a thought sir ,, just a thought …

Latest Threads