Question for the real Players on this forum.

Z2112

Reaction score
I have two good friends that are used to playing out 2-3 times a week. They have a little depression setting in. I'm kinda a poser on guitar. I know enough to be annoyingly dangerous
. I'm like the guy with an acoustic around a camp fire that knows 6 chords and a dozen half songs !

My friends are for real musicians. They haven't played out in Months.
I understand the euphoria and adrenaline rush they get from playing live. They really miss it.

Ive experienced that it in a different way. When I competed in National Trials Motorcycle off road competitions. I had crowds keeping up with me me thru the woods........cheering me on. It was awesome !

I'm just wondering what you guys are doing to cope with that loss..

tjdjr1

Reaction score
They are just low on Vitamin Gig ! I feel it a bit everything since early March cancelled ! Just playing at home or even practicing with the band doesn't fill the Gig void ! Just have to focus on another interest for now.....

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep buying more gear!

In the past two months I've bought two amps, a modded phaser & a new pedal board.

I have no idea why I'm doing it.
My justifications make no sense at all.

I now have seven fucking amplifiers.
One of the new ones I haven't even plugged into the wall yet.

And now I'm looking for another L.P.
Because the 9 guitars I have now are OBVIOUSLY not enough.

K

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been winding down with playing out for more than a few years... on again, off again with the band. I sort of gave it up for good - right before this shit started. Now, I miss it and I am thinking about going back.

In a way, I hope that feeling subsides, because I know a month or two in to it, I'll realize why I stopped gigging and will hate it (again).

It's like kicking H, in a twisted sort of way, for me. The withdrawal brings me back, then I get sick and realize why I stopped.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

cjpeck

Reaction score
My sole 'paycheck' since '16 has been music.
This has killed me. Gigs are going to be scarce for the rest of the year at best.
There has been no successful coping mechanism at this point. We check on each other to make sure we haven't spent our last Benjamin on smack or booze, but there's nothing to be done for now.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Drums-I need REAL drums-no 4 screen stuff-gigs HATE THEM-GOD......I ? Why must I? I'm playing in FEZZ garage-after farmer/engineers return from fields----------motor up 1 mile ANALOG Tape...Yeah, screw gigs-people think I'm shit---Maybe one more gig?

RAG7890

Reaction score
Friend of mine the Guitar player on Australian Voice.

He's keeping himself busy playing & posting on Instagram / FB and online lessons..........& he's builng a House on a block of land he bought.

He's also been working at our Luthier mate's Factory helping get the design of his new Signature Guitar Shape finalised & making some Toys for his kids (he's a Cabinet Maker by Trade).

Voice is starting in a few weeks time, so he's pretty much through it.

:cheers2:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I honestly expect the divorce rate to skyrocket once the lockdown is over. I suspect a lot of people are learning they don't like being w their partner 24/7
Could also be double jeopardy for many as well....can’t afford to live separately due to debt.

As for jamming, I miss it a lot. We were just reinventing ourselves, trying out the power trio and learning new songs. It was up to twice a week at one point.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I have two good friends that are used to playing out 2-3 times a week. They have a little depression setting in. I'm kinda a poser on guitar. I know enough to be annoyingly dangerous
. I'm like the guy with an acoustic around a camp fire that knows 6 chords and a dozen half songs !

My friends are for real musicians. They haven't played out in Months.
I understand the euphoria and adrenaline rush they get from playing live. They really miss it.

Ive experienced that it in a different way. When I competed in National Trials Motorcycle off road competitions. I had crowds keeping up with me me thru the woods........cheering me on. It was awesome !

I'm just wondering what you guys are doing to cope with that loss..
Learning new songs that we plan on doing, reviewing old songs so I don’t get rusty, figuring out licks I’ve been meaning to since forever...

it’s all good but nothing takes the place of actual gigging.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's very tough. I lost all of my gigs from middle March, April, May, and June. Most of July has canceled and I imagine all eventually will. All but one in August is gone, and even some Sept shows have been canceled. It sucks about the money, but more about not being able to go out and hang with the band--my pals--and do something we love to do each weekend. We haven't had a practice since March--just virtual Zoom meetings. We're going to get together for the first time next Saturday to rehearse.

Latest Threads