Question for New Epiphone Modern owners...

mr. rj

Reaction score
Just curious if the new epi modern's have full maple top with no veneer? Seems odd that the more expensive Slash & Bonamassa signatures only get veneer. Epiphone webiste says for the modern, body - mahogany, top - maple, and finish - AAA flamed maple (figured). Maybe epiphone is trying to be sneaky by substituting the word veneer with the word 'Finish' instead? Also the Gibson specs are almost the same, body mahogany, top maple, but finish is either a color or nitro, and not listed as a 3rd layer of the body like epi did. ....Any of you modern owners get the chance to open one up to see if its veneer?...you will be able to see the dark flames going down side also if it has a full flame top.

thanks in advance...

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Epiphone typically does use a full maple cap, but the figured tops are veneers laid on the plain maple cap.

mr. rj

Reaction score
Epiphone typically does use a full maple cap, but the figured tops are veneers laid on the plain maple cap.
yeah i have a few, was just curious about the modern model because the specs are abit ambiguous...was in the mall today for something and stopped in at one of the guitar shops and seen a very nice PRS flame top cherry bursted at the $1000 cdn price. Since high end epiphones use veneer, I wonder if PRS does...anyway I'm going off topic..lol Never was a big prs fan, but that one was pretty nice. Sold my epi 59, so I can get the other color I wanted soon.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
yeah i have a few, was just curious about the modern model because the specs are abit ambiguous...was in the mall today for something and stopped in at one of the guitar shops and seen a very nice PRS flame top cherry bursted at the $1000 cdn price. Since high end epiphones use veneer, I wonder if PRS does...anyway I'm going off topic..lol Never was a big prs fan, but that one was pretty nice. Sold my epi 59, so I can get the other color I wanted soon.
At the $1000 price point, I'd be pretty confident that it's a veneer.
The E series is an Asian import.
They are very. very nice guitars, but they are still Paul's version of Epiphone, and at a comparable price point to the higher end Epiphones.

Dibya

Reaction score
Epiphone have maple cap , but outer layer nice looking maple wood with nice flame ,
Both veneer and cap are real wood if i am not miss judged.

kensh999

Reaction score
Just curious if the new epi modern's have full maple top with no veneer? Seems odd that the more expensive Slash & Bonamassa signatures only get veneer. Epiphone webiste says for the modern, body - mahogany, top - maple, and finish - AAA flamed maple (figured). Maybe epiphone is trying to be sneaky by substituting the word veneer with the word 'Finish' instead? Also the Gibson specs are almost the same, body mahogany, top maple, but finish is either a color or nitro, and not listed as a 3rd layer of the body like epi did. ....Any of you modern owners get the chance to open one up to see if its veneer?...you will be able to see the dark flames going down side also if it has a full flame top.

thanks in advance...
Well among other Epiphone les pauls, I recently got both a Epi SG Modern and an Epi Les Paul Modern (in Burgandy) since I really like the specs. While I can't see the front wood grain and I haven't removed the pickups on the LP I can't say for sure if it's a front veneer. But I can see the back of the Les Paul, and it's not a veneer, it's a 3 piece solid mahogany back, unlike the Epi Slash models that have veneer on the back as well. Tthe SG Modern is advertised to have a veneer front, and that is visible.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
they do have caps. not sure why a veneer would be glued onto a painted top, otherwise all epi's would normally have a veneer on a see through top.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
epi is king of veneers. any epi, just about, will have a veneer if you can see the grain.

Dibya

Reaction score
Thanks for reply , Epiphone wood grains looks really amazing , to me thats the reason i bought my Epi les paul modern figured in caribbean blue fade , its stunning looking guitar

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if my solid yellow Epi '57 Reissue Junior has a veneer...

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
they do have caps. not sure why a veneer would be glued onto a painted top, otherwise all epi's would normally have a veneer on a see through top.
A veneer could be used to hide body filler, but I would not expect to see it applied over an actual painted top.
I've seen Epi customs stripped down that had a significant amount of body filler, and it's not uncommon on opaque finished guitars from many sources including Fender. If the body is less than perfect, it gets slated for a solid finish and the defects are filled in.
A veneer would allow Epiphone to use a body that otherwise would need to have a solid color, but instead build it out as a "flame" top.
Epiphone has also used veneers on the backs to make a multi-piece body appear to be a one-piece.

But the veneer is real wood, and it is only a thin layer. No impact on tone or weight... only issue is if you were to want to refinish it, it can be difficult to remove a poly finish to start with, then add the difficulty of removing the poly while not damaging or delaminating the veneer.

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how Gretsch does it with their cheapo Junior Jet Clubs with a natural finish. You can see all the pieces. More honest IMO.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
veneers are just like fake bewbs.lucky for me im a sucker for a pretty top whether its real or not...

Dibya

Reaction score
bridge is bit rattly in my modern ,
it rattles when i tune to alternate tuning of A = 444Hz

Latest Threads