Question for Intermediate Guitar Players

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh cool, my thread is at the front of the forum :p.

Update from where I left off with this. I was either going to join another band or maybe take lessons or something due to boredom. I actually didn't do either. I decided to go back through all the songs I know and learn them note for note and in time to the best of my abilities.

I gotta say it's actually working well and I'm seeing results. A lot of these songs I taught myself when I first started playing and I didn't know the easy/correct way to play certain parts. Like not barring for certain chords and playing hammer ons incorrectly. I watered down a lot of parts originally but can play them now after revisiting them years later. Playing them in time forces me to develop speed to move between barre chords, which is something I was very average at before. It's time consuming and tedious, but it seems to be working for now. I can get through a few songs in the correct time that I wasn't able to get through 2 months ago.

I'm still open to joining a band, but it has to be the perfect situation. It's gotta be originals, my style of music, people who I can get along with, and a group that works for my schedule. That band might never exist in my area and that's okay. I'm content with being an at-home player.
Here’s the crazy thing about barre chords. You don’t do them much when playing in a band. You will use them but you’ll find you’ll more often play power chords and partials. The more instruments in the band the less full barre chords you need to play. It’s still a good skill to play them well.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
On that note, I say Mal's right. Too choosy and you may never jam. I don't like Celtic music at all, but for fun and experience, I joined my friend's Celtic band for a bit.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "perfect". Nothing in life is perfect. In my ideal band, I'd just like to have fun. If I'm playing a bunch of songs I don't like or I'm hanging around some questionable people, then it's almost not worth it for me because it won't be as enjoyable.

timgman

Reaction score
Meh, school of hard knocks. I played METAL as a kid.. they plaued as a "lead guitar player in a classic rock band where the main guitarist played acoustic. you learn to ride the volume / tone and CONTRIBUTE to the song not OVERLORD the song. It's more ofa humbling experience.. did that for YEARS. If you are learning to contribute to the aura of a song you are doing well. I'm old now but those first five or so years of post-bedroom guitar playing were formative. I can pretty much do what I need to do at most point's with most people and I can control volume/ dynamics and CONTRIBUTE to a song..

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so beyond intermediate I guess I can't provide any answers here. :(

:p:D

dro

Reaction score
8 yrs old took drum lessons. Only instrument I ever had lessons on. Taught me beats and timing. Was grounded when I was in Jr High, picked up my dads 1952 ES 125. Started on John Denver, Kris Kristoferson, Bobby Goldsboro. Things I had sheet music for. Was a Nugent/Page/Paul Simon student in the 70's. Joined a working 9 pc variety band in '78 when I was 17. I was the youngest by 10 yrs. Had 3 guitar players, horns, Bass, Drums, and percussion. We were playing everything that was on the radio back then. ( Anyone remember RADIO ) ? Everybody sang. A lot of harmony. All I had to do was fills and leads. Think Little River Band, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, also was doing a good dose of country. Merle,, Willie, Waylon, a lot of Alabama, Eddie Rabbitt, and Bellamy Brothers. Rehearsed 3 times a week, while gigging Fri & Sat 50 weeks a year for about 5 years. When we were booked 2 years in advance, band went from 9 pc to 4 pc in one weekend. I was in the remaining 4 pc. We dropped off one day of rehearsal. So 2 days a week while gigging 40-50 weeks a year for the next 10-12 years. By this time getting tired of bars, and tired of trying to drive home at 3 and 4 AM without going to jail. Took on a new project backing a young female country singer. Did a lot of recording and concert openings. That lasted for about 5 years. That got very boring after a while, All the fun was gone. By now the Drummer and I were the only two left out of the original 9 pc. Started accumulating recording gear. Built Studio in my house. Was content for a year, then wife's job relocated us to KCMO. Have done a few jam sessions since being here. Jam sessions not really my thing. Have done some solo acoustic stuff. So everything I have been through, everyone Iv'e played with, and all the different kinds of music I have learned over the years, all contributed to how bad I suck today.
Thanks Alot

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here’s the crazy thing about barre chords. You don’t do them much when playing in a band. You will use them but you’ll find you’ll more often play power chords and partials. The more instruments in the band the less full barre chords you need to play. It’s still a good skill to play them well.
I play quite a few songs cleanly or acoustically, so barre chords are used more. Under The Bridge is a good example of what I mentioned in my last post. The guitar verse and the chorus portions are much easier to do if you barre. A newby guitar player might not be able to see or notice something like this right away when looking at an online tablature.

James R

Reaction score
I really like my little Mustang for quick practicing. I think it's retired though. Fender Fuse is no more and you can't update it or anything.

I want to get a Helix system next. It seems better than buying the 5-6 pedals I'm interested in getting.
(wah, flange, chorus, delay, etc)

Also the Boss Katana seems like a really badass little amp and I've been thinking about that one too.
You know how I feel about the Helix, it’s a no brainer for me, but I also have a 100W Katana head that I play through a 212 cab loaded with V30s.
That amp is freaking great!
Not that amp is great for the money, just that amp is great. It’s just an added bonus that it’s so inexpensive.

One thing though, you may find differently, but I hate all the wahs in the Helix, so I still have an external one.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Learned to play the piano and learned theory. It was a quantum leap in my guitar technique.

Now in my head I see every note and chord on the piano and superimpose it onto the guitar fretboard, especially the crazy jazz chords like #/b 5ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths. Childs play.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some genius ... and I mean genius set his rants to music ...
Without accompaniment ..

Now this ......

Last edited:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I found most legit guys to be pretty cool, as long as you didn’t try to snow them on your skills.
The only ones who are trouble are the guys who think they could do it better, and sometimes they can which begged the question, why weren’t they in a band.
The real players, the truly legit guys, the confident ones, want you to succeed. Part of being good, is being able to help others sound good too. They will know how to use comping, passing phrases, subtle or not so subtle things, whatever it takes to make you sound good.

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Trans TV, eh?

uhh,.. nice to see they have their own station... I guess

Steven

Reaction score
I am an intermediate guitarist. The next few steps will not lift me out of the intermediate classification of skill. Intermediate is a vast classification consisting of numerous players that falsely believe they have graduated into the advanced category since it takes a great deal of skill to move out of intermediate guitar player and into advanced skill levels. So many guitarists erroneously believe they are advanced guitarists. Since I lack the discipline and devotion it takes to surpass the intermediate categorization of guitarist, I'm not ashamed to have noodled around for 50 years and still fall within intermediate classification.

I started stand up bass at a very young age playing in orchestras and learning classical music and theory on the bass. Years of devotion, practice and a certain amount of talent have honestly enabled me to classify myself as an advanced electric bass player, and an individual viewed by many musicians as an advanced classic rock and R&B bassist,

Not so with my guitar playing however. I just fall somewhere within the "average" skill range and I will likely never advance beyond the intermediate level of guitar playing. I just lack the education and work I applied from a very young age as a bassist. Intermediate is by far the broadest classification of most instrument players. I wish to add that intermediate guitar player does not mean you are not a "good" guitar player.

As an individual that has spent most of his life a musician, I suppose I am less generous when categorizing "advanced" "master" and "virtuoso".

Last edited:

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
So many guitarists erroneously believe they are advanced guitarists. Since I lack the discipline and devotion it takes to surpass the intermediate categorization of guitarist, I'm not ashamed to have noodled around for 50 years and still fall within intermediate classification.
Although I don't do much more than quick bursts of strumming when I hark back to the days before I trashed my frret-hand in a bike accident, I've been playing since 1973.
Only ever semi-pro, I (the band) had offers on the table from Rocket, Jet, and Island.
Never considered myself anymore than a beginner.
Seen plenty that think themselves advanced.
Wouldn't want to be them, even though some actually were.
Much rather chat to a fellow guitarist over a beer than sit and have to watch how they spent the last twenty years.
(Especially those guys who just play fast scales at ya, lolol).
:D

outlawten5

Reaction score
I agree with learning whole songs. I used to know a ton of riffs but not complete songs. My method is to learn a song from a teacher on youtube, practice along on spotify till I'm proficient, then use www.guitarbackingtrack.com. Helps with timing, etc... I also practice alternate picking, fast down picking, and unison bends. Whatever your weak spots are. Just practice them. I use a metronome for my picking exercises. Edit to add the reason I use backing tracks is I have no desire too be in a band but feels like playing with one. Starting to learn more solos as I progress

Last edited: