Question for Intermediate Guitar Players

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Formed a band. Playing with others, especially a kick-ass drummer, is what made me a better player, by far. TBH, I don't really enjoy playing the electric guitar on its own and doubt I'd continue were it not for my band as well as the work I do with my students.
I’ve gone this route too. It made me a better player but it was difficult for me to commit based on my work schedule. I just left a group I joined about a month ago. It just didn’t feel like a great fit and I wasn’t into the music much. I just really liked the other guitar player. Super nice guy and an excellent player. Maybe I’ll ask him if he’ll do lessons with me at a discount lol.

In the end, I determined the amount of time spent on playing songs I didn’t really like wasn’t worth me continuing. I joined 2 bands to become a better player. It was helpful, but not helpful enough IMHO.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I’ve gone this route too. It made me a better player but it was difficult for me to commit based on my work schedule. I just left a group I joined about a month ago. It just didn’t feel like a great fit and I wasn’t into the music much. I just really liked the other guitar player. Super nice guy and an excellent player. Maybe I’ll ask him if he’ll do lessons with me at a discount lol.

In the end, I determined the amount of time spent on playing songs I didn’t really like wasn’t worth me continuing. I joined 2 bands to become a better player. It was helpful, but not helpful enough IMHO.
The next best thing in my world is to jam along to tracks. You started another thread about headphone amps, maybe once you get that sorted out you can start.

If you're still looking, I'm still gonna nudge you towards the Torpedo Captor. I've learned a little more about the Wall of Sound software and I'm really happy to be hearing my cranked Orange amp through headphones. I just use Garageband with iTunes and there's nothing in their catalogue I can't use to jam along with.

FWIW, I used the Captor through a floor monitor at the last 3 HOG Night rehearsal and was pretty blown away by the internal analog cab sim going right to the board. VERY impressed how it sounded with my real cab behind me and the wedge in front. I could easily see myself just using this and going FOH at our little gigs.

Last edited:

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, on the way to matches, I tend to listen to some of the "standards" and their adoption by modern musicians. One of my personal favorites is "The Girl in the Other Room" from DIana Krall.

They calm me down - LOL
Who's in the trunk while this is being played? You or Vic?

Lungo

Reaction score
L, audiences are usually POLLUTED with booze+pills. The LSD "erased" my old mind-set=full of doubt, rewired the brain, no more "I can't" , just "I can" - now in my head. Why doubt? I was given ARTmind- I'm the leader of my world.
I guess I went the easy route with practicing hours a day and getting better and all that crap.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some have been mentioned. Learn to play complete songs from start to finish and play in a band or with a drummer.

As far as pushing myself I just did (and still) do that by finding other guitarists that do something I don't know how to do and learning to do it.

When I was a kid I learned Sabbath and Zeppelin, then I pushed myself to learn Metallica, then it was Megadeth, then it was Slayer (because they're very fast), then it was Yngwie, Satriani, Alex Skolnick,

In the past 15 or 20 years it was Paco Pena and Paco DeLucia, and Al Dimeola, Brent Mason, Brad Paisley and Danny Gatton.

In the past couple months I've been revisiting Satriani and Skolnick and Jake E Lee, and I've been learning to play Van Halen songs. My hope is to learn all the songs on all the albums plus the solos that I find interesting, (like Jump, You Really Got Me, You're No Good, etc. )

Mostly with EVH it's not the playing that's tricky, it's palming the pick in the middle of playing so you can tap, then pulling the pick out again to play with it. I feel like with EVH I'm practicing a pick-palming/magic trick more than I'm practicing guitar.
X
But I've gotten pretty fluid with it over the past month, so..... I'm still learning.

Always learning, always writing.

Guitar is a lot of fun. When it stops being fun I stop playing for a while until it's fun again.
The trick with some EVH is he holds the pick between middle finger and thumb freeing up his index finger. I held my pick between thumb and index and used my middle finger, my sound man told me to stop it.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For years I have had the same recurring nightmare....I'm at the gig setting up and I forgot a piece of gear, or I forgot how to play something because we hadn't practiced in a while.....and yet, that has actually never happened to me!

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
The next best thing in my world is to jam along to tracks. You started another thread about headphone amps, maybe once you get that sorted out you can start.

If you're still looking, I'm still gonna nudge you towards the Torpedo Captor. I've learned a little more about the Wall of Sound software and I'm really happy to be hearing my cranked Orange amp through headphones. I just use Garageband with iTunes and there's nothing in their catalogue I can't use to jam along with.

FWIW, I used the Captor through a floor monitor at the last 3 HOG Night rehearsal and was pretty blown away by the internal analog cab sim going right to the board. VERY impressed how it sounded with my real cab behind me and the wedge in front. I could easily see myself just using this and going FOH at our little gigs.
Jamming over backing tracks is what I like to do most. I’ve kinda run out of tricks because I mostly do basic soloing techniques. I think learning and understanding a little more about theory would help me in this area.

I (like most players) did lessons at one point in my life, but it was only for a couple months. I think it might be worth looking into if I could find the right teacher. However, I don’t want to pay a bunch of money for someone to tell me to play over a click track. I get the importance of using the damn thing but my God, it is arguably the most boring thing in the world to just sit there and strum to a click track. I much rather play a song over a backing track.

I’m currently on a budget so the headphone amp project is on hold lol.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Playing with a band helps a lot with the development of my own guitar playing... I never did practice with a metronome... My guitar teacher emphasized ear training for me, especially with recognizing which notes and what position on the fretboard where certain notes were played.... Developing the speed and accuracy came later, but it took months of practice to get them right..

I took piano lessons at a very early age but I lost the ability to read sheet music because I got so bored with piano....it never translated to guitar playing....

rogue3

Reaction score
The best thing i did is learn jazz.From masterful players/writers.

The next thing that took it to another level was my apprenticeship in a house band.Every monday night for 10 months.I had to bring it to the table.The first few months were flawed,with bright spots.They were all recorded. The second half of that gig,i took off, in a poor mans phil x kinda way. I know this cause i started to get licked up by chicks.And i had the tapes.lol.

The third thing is new material.If you are electric,pickup the acoustic.Move freely back and forth.Learn stuff that makes you think to go places your fingers never thought of going.

This is actually my biggest flaw right now.Learning new material.I have so much behind me,i just don't do new stuff.hopefully this will change.

finally,solo playing.i've read a couple posts that said this is not the thing.Well,actually,it is.

If you can't sound like a complete song,on your own,the whole band thing going without the band,so your playing sounds like something,the song,with no crutches,you really have not made it.

The best advance is playing solo,and getting good enough to be recognized for it( validated in some way,not just your own opinion,or a friend who supports you emotionally,lol) .

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Play live. For an audience. That was a huge motivation to get my shit together. The fear of making a fool of myself as a musician in front of people coming to hear me play. That fear is what makes me practice seriously.
I’m more afraid of playing in front of legit musicians vs a crowd of random people. Most people who don’t play guitar don’t know enough to distinguish an average player from a good one. My friends and family think I sound great. Real musicians know I’m quite mediocre lol.

The right band could potentially help me out. I said in an earlier post how I’ve been in a couple bands and they were beneficial. But to be honest, being in a band seems more trouble than it’s worth a lot of the time. I’m there to get better, but other people might be involved for other reasons. I have to invest time to learn songs I don’t really like. There also might be travel costs and money needed to rent out a studio. If I’m going to do these things in order to be in a band then I have to be a little picky about it.

Monday-Friday I wake up at 5 AM and get home around 5 PM. Making time for a band is possible, but it’s gotta be the right fit. In 2019 when most people don’t care about guitar based music, finding the right fit is hard.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m more afraid of playing in front of legit musicians vs a crowd of random people. Most people who don’t play guitar don’t know enough to distinguish an average player from a good one. My friends and family think I sound great. Real musicians know I’m quite mediocre lol.

The right band could potentially help me out. I said in an earlier post how I’ve been in a couple bands and they were beneficial. But to be honest, being in a band seems more trouble than it’s worth a lot of the time. I’m there to get better, but other people might be involved for other reasons. I have to invest time to learn songs I don’t really like. There also might be travel costs and money needed to rent out a studio. If I’m going to do these things in order to be in a band then I have to be a little picky about it.

Monday-Friday I wake up at 5 AM and get home around 5 PM. Making time for a band is possible, but it’s gotta be the right fit. In 2019 when most people don’t care about guitar based music, finding the right fit is hard.
I found most legit guys to be pretty cool, as long as you didn’t try to snow them on your skills.
The only ones who are trouble are the guys who think they could do it better, and sometimes they can which begged the question, why weren’t they in a band.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I didn't necessarily say anything about a band. It applies infinitely more if you play solo. I recently had to play (and sing) a total of ONE song at a party. I practiced it for a week and a half and it was just a simple cowboy chord song. Being a good player is not just about advanced playing....it's about playing even the simplest things well.....with precision, timing, feel.

twst1up

Reaction score
Start when your 9

Honestly, I dont think I could have picked it up at like, 30