Question for Freddy and anyone else interested...

yeti

Reaction score
Going to videotape a Blues Soloist ( singer / acoustic guitar) , planning on using a single stereo set up, using 2 RCA 77DX ribbons in figure 8.
Bluemlein or MS?

yeti

Reaction score
Sure, me too. I'm just worried that with one soloist the center may not be as solid with the Bluemlein approach, vs using one figure 8 as Mid and the other as side ( in effect just rotating the pair 45 degrees and decoding accordingly).
With Bluemlein you have 2 mics off axis respectively to the single source while with MS the mid mic is on-axis.
I don't know if I'll have time to try both.

Reactions: Who

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sure, me too. I'm just worried that with one soloist the center may not be as solid with the Bluemlein approach, vs using one figure 8 as Mid and the other as side ( in effect just rotating the pair 45 degrees and decoding accordingly).
With Bluemlein you have 2 mics off axis respectively to the single source while with MS the mid mic is on-axis.
I don't know if I'll have time to try both.
yes good point!

Reactions: Who

yeti

Reaction score
I did go with the Bluemlein on the solo Blues artist. It worked great after I convinced him to play his guitar with the lower bout between his legs like a classical. I could have accommodated the other position as well ( guitar resting on his right leg) by moving the mic off to the left side but he usually switches back and forth, not good for this approach. Anyway, his balance was good enough to be treated as one sound source. Today I recorded this folkie and her vocal to guitar blend was all over the place so I chose to treat voice and guitar separately, a 77 on the voice with the guitar in the null and a BK5A/ 77 combo on the guitar in MS.
I almost spilled my coffee over the console when I heard the guitar like that, big, wide, bold and woody, that BK5A is remarkable.
Friday I'll record a country trio ( vocal/ guitar, dobro and upright bass) I'll use the XY Bluemlein again. I spent some time today convincing the video peeps that the voc/ guitar and the bass need to be at opposite ends of the mic array for them to both be in the middle of the mix, they didn't like the idea of the "star" of the group not being in the center of the semi-circle.

Latest Threads