Question concerning selling some of my guitars.

joseph07081

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right subforum or if it even belongs on this site at all, but I thought I would ask for opinions.
Mods can move or delete if needed.

Since my stroke in July, my dexterity has not returned at all, it is possibly even getting a bit worse.
I have decided to move most of my collection of guitars on to people who will actually play them.

I have only purchased guitars in-store or online, I have never sold any online, so I am looking for opinions or experience concerning my options.
My first inclination is to list them here in the want ads, next would be Reverb.
eBay is not an option for me, too many scammers there and I am not about to risk getting taken.

I have traded stuff in to Guitar Center, but that was with lower-end stuff that I figured would not be worth the cost and hassle online.

If anyone has any input or experience, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
First off, your stroke saddens me, and I am very sorry you have to go through this. I will say a prayer for you.

Selling on the MLP ads or Reverb are likely your best options, agreed. Another option is to sell on CL, but I would not bother, as -- for me personally -- I don't want strange people in my house playing my guitars (CL is great for selling used appliances and car parts out of the garage, though).

get-well-soon-14.jpg

GuitarPops

Reaction score
Honestly I've had the best luck with craigslist. Selling through eBay is a major pain. FB marketplace can work pretty good too, but of the 17 guitars I've sold over the last 2 or 3 years I think most of those went through CL.

Good luck...

JPummil

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear of your health issue. Perhaps things will continue to improve over time, or at least I hope so.

I guess it depends on your location what method is best. CL is usually best if you live in or are a short drive from a larger population I think. Whereas if you are willing to ship, it really doesn't matter I suppose.

You have some very interesting models listed, some like the Monkey SG and the Iommi Epi are somewhat niche and should bring a top price to the right collector.

Wishing you the best...

PageSide84

Reaction score
If you're in an area with a major metro nearby, selling locally will probably be your best bet. When I've purchased things from FB Marketplace or Craigslist, I've done meetups at public places, to reduce the risk of being robbed. Some police stations actually encourage exchanges at their parking lots.

I've had good experiences with both the MLP classifieds and Reverb, but Reverb will take a cut of the sale. I've only bought from the MLP classifieds, but what I like is that you can get a sense of whether or not the buyer/seller will scam you, based on what they've purchased previously, etc.

Not much info, but hope that helps a bit. Sorry to hear about your stroke.

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most Forum Dealers will buy used guitars outright,
or at list list them on consignment. It just another option for you.
We will pray for a miracle that will let you keep your guitars,
and play on.
All the best.
Artie

joseph07081

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the warm comments concerning my health, I really do appreciate it.
One other reason I am moving these on is that I was recently approved for SS disability, so I am officially retired. The proceeds from the sales will go to pay down debt and build up some extra funds to hopefully move south for my retirement. I am tired of cold weather and dreary days that turn into weeks.

smk506

Reaction score
If you have to sell your gear (and my condolences for your stroke and the problems it brings you) I can’t recommend finding a local store to deal with highly enough, PROVIDED you can find one with a reasonable consignment deal or one that will give you an honest minimum of 70¢ on the dollar for actual selling prices.

It’s not worth the tire kickers and flakes to DIY if you’re talking about a good amount of gear.

Best of luck to you however you go.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is a local shop that will sell on consignment.

FWIW, there are scammers on Reverb too.

joseph07081

Reaction score
Finding a local store is an avenue I had not considered. I know there are scammers everywhere online, which is why I have held off until I do some more research. My other hobby is astronomy and I buy and sell quite a bit through the larger online forum, but I only buy from or sell to people with good track records, so I feel relatively safe there. I have no experience selling instruments online, so I am really hesitant to jump in too fast.

Thanks again :)

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I had pretty good luck with CL, except for the guy who crashed and wrecked his car on the way to meet me and never showed. At least that's what he said happened.

Good luck. I noticed a couple of Iommi tributes, are they righty or lefty?

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on consignment. A 10 or 15% hit is well worth the ability to just drop them off and pick up a check down the road. If they're higher end guitars, it could be a while before they sell in a mom and pop shop so you'd be better off finding a place that caters to higher-end buyers if that's a possibility.

joseph07081

Reaction score
+1 on consignment. A 10 or 15% hit is well worth the ability to just drop them off and pick up a check down the road. If they're higher end guitars, it could be a while before they sell in a mom and pop shop so you'd be better off finding a place that caters to higher-end buyers if that's a possibility.
Actually, after several suggestions concerning local music stores, I reached out via email to one the local mom and pop stores, they have an excellent reputation in the area. They pay 70% of selling price and and are interested in talking. They did ask if I had any numbers in mind, I told them I was aware of the inflated market but I was not out to gouge anyone, so I would think about it and get back to them tomorrow.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your setback. Use CL or FB Market to contain local sales. Assuming you have a garage use that for the buyer to tryout the guitar and/or amp. I mostly buy local and rarely sell but when I do I use my garage for amps or if a guitar will meet somewhere. I reside in a gun friendly state so my 9mm is on my side during transactions.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear about your stroke. I totally get what you are trying to do. On another note, let me know what you want for your Epiphone 2021 Joe Bonamassa Les Paul 59 Lazarus. Maybe I can help by buying one of yours. Cheers and God Bless.

Censport

Reaction score
Genuinely sorry to hear about your health issues. Wishing you all the best.

Latest Threads