Question about work carried out on pickups

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm looking to possibly buy a Les Paul back that I sold in the mid 80s. I've kept in touch with the guy, but he told me he had to have work done on both pickups a few years ago. They are Tim Shaw pickups... He had to have the neck pickup rewound, which was done by Seymour Duncan, as it was loosing power. Also he had the bridge pickup potted as it became microphonic.
My question is, would the character, quality of the pickups become diminished because of this.
It's been a well used, but we'll looked after guitar that's had a few use related issues sorted over the years, including a refret. Would these issues put you off?... Cheers guys

bum

Reaction score
It wouldn't put me off no, but ideally I'd like to try it out to see if it suits you

JMP

Reaction score
I’d not be turned off at all......focus on the rest of the guitar, it’s overall condition, playability , and acoustic tone.

jcsk8

Reaction score
It was a good guitar? You have to try it. In my experience wax does change the harmonics of a pickup. So better try it and see if it´s the same or maybe change the pickups if the guitar is a real gem.

endial

Reaction score
All that you've described suggests a lot of care was put forth into this guitar. I would almost feel like I was looking a gift horse in the mouth if I were asking these questions. If he hadn't done these things would you still be interested?

p90rules

Reaction score
All that you've described suggests a lot of care was put forth into this guitar. I would almost feel like I was looking a gift horse in the mouth if I were asking these questions. If he hadn't done these things would you still be interested?
Although the guitar was mine originally, and one I regretted selling straight away, it is costing me a lot for the pleasure of buying it back again. The guy doesn't have to sell for any particular reason, just that newer guitars have are now his workhorses and this guitar isn't being used much, but almost retired for safe keeping... It's a LP Heritage 80 model. I'm paying probably the amount I'd pay for an R8, or possibly a cheaply priced R9, but there's an attachment for me where money isn't so much an issue here. Just that I'm finding out more little jobs he's had to have done, but with care and necessity rather than just tinkering.

Latest Threads